Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australians Are Losing Out To Foreign Workers. (Read 522 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Australians Are Losing Out To Foreign Workers.
Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:25am

A trade union organiser says Australians are losing out to foreign workers on a number of construction projects across the country.

The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) says some employers are hiring foreign workers and paying them less than Australian citizens.   Angry

CFMEU spokesman Bud Neiland is urging the federal and state governments to ensure Australian workers are not disadvantaged.

Mr Neiland says the issue prompted a walkout at the Soul development in Surfers Paradise this week and there are similar problems on the Airport Link project in Brisbane.

He says hundreds of workers walked off the Soul construction site on Monday, after 11 Australian tilers were laid off, while Korean workers were retained.

Mr Neiland says workers at the Gold Coast construction site remain concerned the company, Saba Brothers Tiling, has hired Korean workers rather than Australian citizens and is paying the Korean workers less.   Sad

"It's the biggest infrastructure civil project ever done in this country - chockers full of just backpackers," he said.  

"Blokes cannot get jobs - south-east Queensland, Australian residents can't get jobs and it is just full of backpackers all over that job.   Sad

"Cheaper labour - sub-contractors who employ the Australian worker cannot compete with that."

A Department of Immigration spokesman has confirmed officers are investigating allegations about workers at the Soul building site on the Gold Coast.

However, the department spokesman says claims that 457 visa workers are being exploited on the site have not been substantiated.

'No discrimination'

Saba Brothers Tiling says there has been no discrimination and all employees are paid in accordance with Australian laws.

The company says is considering legal action against the CFMEU.

In a statement, Saba Brothers Tiling says its decision to terminate the contracts was not based on race or cost, but skill and performance.

However, Mr Neiland says backpackers and foreign nationals are given preference at a number of sites across Australia.

"There's plenty of blokes specifically in the building and construction and industry throughout this country out of work and they are still going down the line of bringing imported labour in," he said.   Sad  

"There was a job in Perth where blokes walked off the job where there was a plasterboard company using Chinese labour.   Sad

"There's a tiling company using Chinese labour and Australian workers can't get a job."  Sad

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australians Are Losing Out To Foreign Workers.
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:38am

<<"There's a tiling company using Chinese labour and Australian workers can't get a job.">>

Thats because Chinese workers work.

Aussies bludge like you crook.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:40am

What a load of rubbish you talk.

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:44am

<<What a load of rubbish you talk.

Thats your domain crook but I would go further and say you talk absolute
CRAP.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:48am

I am happy to say, you don't deserve a response.   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:31am

Chef's dad:
Say, would you crackers like to hear about the time we saw the Loch Ness monster?

Stan:
No, that's okay

Chef's dad:
Ooh! It must've been about seven, eight years ago. Me and the little lady was out on this boat you see, all alone at night, when all of a sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the paleolithic era, comes out of the water

Chef's mom:
We was so scared, Lord have mercy, I jumped up in the boat and I said "Thomas, what on earth is that creature?!"

Chef's dad:
It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes...

Chef's mom:
Oh it was so scary!

Chef's dad:
And I yelled, I said "What do you want from us monster?!" And the monster bent down and said "I need about treefiddy"
[silence]

Kyle:
What's treefiddy?

Chef's dad:
Three dollars and fifty cents

Chef's mom:
Treefiddy

Stan:
He wanted money?

Chef's dad:
That's right. I said "I ain't giving you no treefiddy you goddam Loch Ness monster! Get your own goddam money!"

Chef's mom:
I gave him a dollar

Chef's dad:
She gave him a dollar

Chef's mom:
I thought he'd go away if I gave him a dollar

Chef's dad:
Well of course he's not gonna go away! You gave him a dollar, he's gonna assume you got more.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:02am

whatsforme wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:38am:
<<"There's a tiling company using Chinese labour and Australian workers can't get a job.">>

Thats because Chinese workers work.

Aussies bludge like you crook.

and what work do you ?? how much do you get paid for polishing turds these days ?? Smiley LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print