Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Were Going To Make The Employer See The Light. (Read 1174 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Were Going To Make The Employer See The Light.
Feb 15th, 2011 at 12:52pm

Workers employed casually for up to 15 years at a lighting manufacturer in Melbourne have been made permanent under a deal struck between the AMWU and their employer.

Since joining the AMWU twelve months ago workers from Eagle Lighting in Tullamarine have won a number of reforms and are now on their way towards their first union collective agreement.    Smiley

“We came across these workers one day visiting a neighbouring site. Initially there was some hesitation about joining. They feared they would be sacked or reprimanded, as previous workers had been during WorkChoices,” said AMWU Growth Unit Coordinator Paul Chirgwin.   Sad

“But they also had a lot of outstanding issues with their management. They were ready to take some action and the membership has grown from there.”

A reclassification exercise run by the AMWU found a number of the workers were being significantly underpaid. Back payments, some dating as far as six years were made by the company and a new pay scale was introduced.

Site delegate Sharon Malone says after years of second-class treatment the workers, who make industrial lights for the building industry, are relieved change is afoot.   Smiley

“Now we’re starting to stand up for ourselves. Eventually we’ll get everything we’ve been asking for. It’ll be a long time coming but we’ll get there.   Wink

“It took convincing for some of us to join. I never believed in unions and had never been in one.

“But then I thought, I’ve put up with enough for 22 years, it’s time to do something about it. So I joined and it’s proved to be a really good thing.”

Although the workers have made significant improvements on their conditions, according to Paul Chirgwin there is more to come.

“We are about to begin negotiating an agreement and we want to ensure the workers no longer have their hours arbitrarily changed on them.

“They (the workers) have found their voice, they’re starting to recognise their rights and see that a better deal is possible.”   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Were Going To Make The Employer See The Light.
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:37pm

Well that was 30 seconds of my life I will never get back.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:46pm

This employer will see the light.  Hes got a union in the place now.   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:25pm

Quote:
This employer will see the light.  Hes got a union in the place now.   Smiley  

Good for them, but who really cares and why is this even note worthy.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:28pm

I care.   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:38pm

So this is the union boards is it?

Why do you feel the need to make new thread after new thread instead of keeping Union press releases to say just one?

Why would you care about the rules of the boards, just keep up your spamming and multi threads.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:43pm

Why would you care about the rules of the boards, just keep up your spamming and multi threads.   Thanks for that.  I will.   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:51pm

Well, looks like since you wont follow the rules, neither will I.

I'll take you position on trolling as a challange, and consider it challange accepted.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 4:22pm

boo hoo for you verge. I'm the union delegate at my work and I might take this little snippet and put it in the tea room, so I am interested and if you're not, you know what they say.....tough titties!

....and how sad is your life when you purposely go into a thread knowing you won't like what you'll read, then have a whinge about it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 4:37pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 4:22pm:
boo hoo for you verge. I'm the union delegate at my work and I might take this little snippet and put it in the tea room, so I am interested and if you're not, you know what they say.....tough titties!

....and how sad is your life when you purposely go into a thread knowing you won't like what you'll read, then have a whinge about it.

Just as I thought.

Union reps are brain dead.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 4:39pm

The way I see it is this.  No one forces anyone to partake to a thread if they don't want to.  Its like a TV set.  You get x-number of channels also  an on/off switch.  Its the same in a way with a computer.  Partake if you want/ don't partake if you don't want.  Or switch off.   Wink

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 5:43pm

whatsforme<<Just as I thought.>>

No. I don't believe it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:58am

yes your employer sees the LIGHT for

his secret squirrels are running and telling that dark one

of said LIGHT when i do and continue to

confront the beast,in LOVE and LIGHT

and so it is

namaste

-:)

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print