Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bob Brown Says He Will Take On Rio Tinto. (Read 2383 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Bob Brown Says He Will Take On Rio Tinto.
Feb 13th, 2011 at 5:54pm

Greens take hard line on compensation

BIG business pressure for generous carbon price compensation has been flatly rejected by the Greens, who will play a key role in the development of climate change policy.   Smiley

As chief executives from some of the nation's biggest companies attended climate change talks in Sydney yesterday, the Greens highlighted the fraught political landscape confronting the government's push for a carbon price.

After the Herald revealed growing unease among business leaders over the government's negotiations with the Greens, the party's leader, Bob Brown, vowed to challenge the resources industry in its campaign for compensation.   Smiley

Senator Brown accused Rio Tinto of trying to ''gouge'' public money after this week unveiling a record profit of $US14 billion.   Angry 

Rio Tinto, which owns half the country's aluminium smelters, is understood to be lobbying to ensure it is protected against higher electricity prices.

But Senator Brown said he would ''take on'' Rio, which he said would have pocketed $565 million a year under the abandoned carbon pollution reduction scheme. The Greens blocked that scheme, claiming that the compensation it offered to trade-exposed sectors and the power industry was excessive.

The Treasurer, Wayne Swan, was co-chairman yesterday of the meeting of executives from companies including BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, NAB, Woolworths, Qantas and Origin Energy.

It is understood most of the executives agreed a carbon price was inevitable, but stressed the need to avoid ''unintended consequences'' for the economy. One said trade-exposed companies including BHP and Rio Tinto appeared ''nervous'', and were the most vocal in explaining their situation to the government.

''There's this feeling that this government is going to do a deal with the Greens at the end of the day and companies are nervous about that agreement and are trying to control it,'' the source said.

Another said business leaders argued strongly against any cuts to compensation. ''Industry sees it as a starting point, not as something that you might reduce,'' the source said.

A spokesman for Mr Swan said the government was working through issues such as compensation in the multi-party climate change committee, and that was only at the early stages of discussion.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Bob Brown Says He Will Take On Rio Tinto.
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:08pm

Vote 1- Australian Greens.  The fair and sensible People.   Smiley

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:15pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Now there would be an even fight.

Rio Tinto and Bob Brown!!

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:20pm

Well at least hes giving it a go.  Good on you Bob.   Smiley

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:21pm

By the way Imcrook, I thought you'd be a fan of Rio Tinto - they pay their workers a fair wage.

Back in '09 I was looking at some contracting work for them in Melbourne and they had a Finance role for 3 months for $75 per hour.

Good wages.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:30pm

Not an us and them situation. If companies pollute, then they pay for the luxury.

Would Liberals allow nuke companies to pollute for free?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:34pm

Here's some political reality for you -

Julia Gillard if she wishes to complete her promise break and bring in a carbon tax (when she said she wouldn't) then she needs to give concessions to the large mining companies and industry polluters.

If she doesn't they will bury her with their attacks - like they did Rudd. They have ENDLESS resources worth billions.

So Gillard will make concessions and agree a compromise.

The Greens will then have to move from their no concessions position or kill the bill.
If they kill the bill - we have no carbon tax.

It's win-win from my perspective.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:46pm

____ wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:30pm:
Not an us and them situation. If companies pollute, then they pay for the luxury.

Would Liberals allow nuke companies to pollute for free?

Actually, I fear that they would!

;-(

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:48pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:34pm:

Julia Gillard if she wishes to complete her promise break and bring in a carbon tax (when she said she wouldn't) then she needs to give concessions to the large mining companies and industry polluters.

If she doesn't they will bury her with their attacks - like they did Rudd. They have ENDLESS resources worth billions.

The Greens will then have to move from their no concessions position or kill the bill.

Yet you missed out one element in your equation, the voters. Will they  accept a tax that gives billions to the wealthy, for nothing in return. I reckon they will not.

A Tax on Carbon Pollution while the coal companies get a free ride on the backs of tax paying working class Australians
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:54pm by ____ »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 7:42pm

____ wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:48pm:

Yet you missed out one element in your equation, the voters. Will they  accept a tax that gives billions to the wealthy, for nothing in return. I reckon they will not.

A Tax on Carbon Pollution while the coal companies get a free ride on the backs of tax paying working class Australians

can you explain to me what is the point of a carbon tax.. say for instance $20.per.what is the point if they get concessions of say $10.. but pass on the tax of $20 where is the benefit of all that to us the VOTERS..there was talk about concession for us as well. but would we get them every year.. or would they be a one off.

can anyone see us come out of this in front?

I too would like to see booby take on Rio Tinto..lets see him win a good clean fight!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:16am

____ wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:48pm:

Given that 81% of voters voted for the two parties that were AGAINST carbon tax, they are just as likely to annihilate the parties that rebuke their clear and mandated choice - NO CARBON TAX.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:53am

As a shareowner of Rio Tinto, I look forward to being on the other side in the fight with Bobby Brown and his hippies.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:00am

Lets see...given that the latest polls show that the majority of Aussies are up for a carbon price, whether the mining parasites who puppeteer the Liberal Party get the same sort of support that Gerry Harvey got recently, eh!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:03am

imcrook, I know I haven't been here for long (too long for some) but wouldn't a lot of your posts be more appropriate in the politics board?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:26am

So what happens if the ALP wont cave and either will the greens you know who wins - the Liberals.

They will sit back and watch these two squabble without giving an inch and nothing will happen as a result.

Much like the same reason why the Greens werent brought to the table when the ETS was under discussion.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:39am

Verge wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:26am:
So what happens if the ALP wont cave and either will the greens you know who wins - the Liberals.

They will sit back and watch these two squabble without giving an inch and nothing will happen as a result.

Much like the same reason why the Greens werent brought to the table when the ETS was under discussion.

I agree that there will be a lot of public brandishing of swords over this - but do not over-estimate the political nous of Abbott & Co to choose the most popular and victorious strategy...

Stay tuned, cos the issue of carbon pricing, coupled with the antics of the powerful mining parasites, could yet make or break the future of any political party in Oz...

Any party, that self-servingly sells its soul - along with the profits from our finite national resources - to multinational parasites, should expect a savage kicking at the ballot box for years to come...

Hint: every time that a mining parasite henceforth announces a multi-billion dollar profit, the electorate will be reminded that the Libs self-servingly facilitated the rip-off!

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:40am

Agree Verge.

The Liberals are the only ones with a non-moveable position to gain from this.

I'll be delighted to see no carbon tax.

If the Greens don't move, the Labor party don't move and the multi-nationals don't move.

That's exactly what we'll get!!

Smiley

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:42am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:40am:
Agree Verge.

If the Greens don't move, the Labor party don't move and the multi-nationals don't move.

Smiley

Mark my words, it will be the dogmatically-immovable stance of the Libs that will be the source of their next bloody leadership spill - and it won't be pretty...

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:46am

Equitist wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:42am:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:40am:
Agree Verge.

Smiley

Mark my words, it will be the dogmatically-immovable stance of the Libs that will be the source of their next bloody leadership spill - and it won't be pretty...

You mean like the   BACK STABBING OF KEVY BABE      LOL    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  But thats OK for labor to do               lol Grin

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:47am

Equitist wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:39am:

I agree that there will be a lot of public brandishing of swords over this - but do not over-estimate the political nous of Abbott & Co to choose the most popular and victorious strategy...

Stay tuned, cos the issue of carbon pricing, coupled with the antics of the powerful mining parasites, could yet make or break the future of any political party in Oz...

Any party, that self-servingly sells its soul - along with the profits from our finite national resources - to multinational parasites, should expect a savage kicking at the ballot box for years to come...

Hint: every time that a mining parasite henceforth announces a multi-billion dollar profit, the electorate will be reminded that the Libs self-servingly facilitated the rip-off!

Okay then precious, where is the mining tax then?

If it was so good Gillard would have had it to the floor by now.  Obviously the pollies see more value in quiet multi-nationals than voters.

Whether or not you agree with it, money talks and BS walks.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:54am

Verge wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:47am:

If it was so good Gillard would have had it to the floor by now.  Obviously the pollies see more value in quiet multi-nationals than voters.

LOL...in case you haven't noticed: Action Man Abbo can't walk and talk BS at the same time...

In all seriousness, though, the Labs will face an uphill battle with the mining parasites - but Abbott & Co bend over and consumate their relationship with those same parasites, then they might find themselves royalty-screwed and politically-fecked...

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:30pm

Equitist wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:54am:
Verge wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 10:47am:

If it was so good Gillard would have had it to the floor by now.  Obviously the pollies see more value in quiet multi-nationals than voters.

LOL...in case you haven't noticed: Action Man Abbo can't walk and talk BS at the same time...

In all seriousness, though, the Labs will face an uphill battle with the mining parasites - but Abbott & Co bend over and consumate their relationship with those same parasites, then they might find themselves royalty-screwed and politically-fecked...

How are a group of companies that employ 30,000+ Australians and contribute billions of dollars to the economy, and supply most of the resources that keep Australia running ...."parasites"???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:37pm

According to Thy every multi-national is a parasite.

Any company run by shareholders is a parasite.

It seems she is in favour of mass nationalisation and Government controlled entities.

The fact that these entities through the 1970s were the most inefficient and bureaucratic waste of resources ever seen seems to have by-passed her socialist driven thought process.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:45pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:37pm:

It seems she is in favour of mass nationalisation and Government controlled entities.

The fact that these entities through the 1970s were the most inefficient and bureaucratic waste of resources ever seen seems to have by-passed her socialist driven thought process.

Nationalisation doesn't always work...Look at Venezuela as an example....Chavez nationalised the petrol industry and put a 'maximum' price on staple foods etc....

The petrol is cheap as, but they have to import milk, meat, eggs and bread.....because the 'maximum price' is so low that the producers can't make a living off it...

People can't eat petrol though...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:16pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:45pm:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:37pm:

Nationalisation doesn't always work...Look at Venezuela as an example....Chavez nationalised the petrol industry and put a 'maximum' price on staple foods etc....

The petrol is cheap as, but they have to import milk, meat, eggs and bread.....because the 'maximum price' is so low that the producers can't make a living off it...

People can't eat petrol though...

Nationalisation always drags everything it touches, down to the level of the lowest common denominator, it`s a system for the lazy and greedy.

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 7:20pm

Rip off? Parasites?  This is your reaction to success?  To people taking risks and getting good returns?  These returns are healthy, for now, but the investment is also large, and risky.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #26 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:41pm

My contention is that finite natural resources have been grossly under-priced by global markets - because our short-sighted pollies (and forefathers) have never bothered to take responsibility for factoring-in the opportunity costs and inter-generational impact of mass-extraction and mass-consumption of finite ore and fuel resources...

The parasitic nature of the minerals industry has been recklessly-facilitated by those short-sighted pollies (and forefathers)...

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #27 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:56pm

The reason The Greens were excluded was because Mr Rudd feared the Greens getting any credit. Also Greens would of explained well, the pitfalls of flooding a carbon price with lots of free permits. All the Greens would have to do is point to all those free water permits.
Then there was the issue the previous ETS failed, it had no benefit to the environment.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #28 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!! Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT Fight FIGHT FIGHT !!!!!!!

Wink Shocked Shocked Cool Cool

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #29 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 9:40pm

Equitist wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:41pm:
My contention is that finite natural resources have been grossly under-priced by global markets - because our short-sighted pollies (and forefathers) have never bothered to take responsibility for factoring-in the opportunity costs and inter-generational impact of mass-extraction and mass-consumption of finite ore and fuel resources...

The parasitic nature of the minerals industry has been recklessly-facilitated by those short-sighted pollies (and forefathers)...

It all comes down to the fact that we, in the western world, reckon we're a cut above!

How united, and therefore unfit to fight off the terrorist threat, can we be when we are being divided by the consumeristic greed that is fashion victimitus!??!

SOME OF US TALK TO OUR NEIGHBOURS! A LOT DON'T!!

WE HAVE TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! MARKETS SUPPLY THE DEMAND THAT IS THERE!!

Sure you could say that the price has been grossly underestimated! Gravity can only be worked out between two point masses!

WE have to take responsibility for our greed, and the consequences that come from ignoring it as a problem!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 12:01am

hahahhaha - Bob Brown against Rio.

Put my money on Rio.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #31 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:43am

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to see a multi-national giant of which I am a shareholder smash that idiot into the ground.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:55am

I am quite looking forward to seeing this.  For once Bob wont be able to just be a mouth peice, and will have to put his creditentials forward.

We will see how he goes.  Lets see if he has half the metal he thinks he doesn.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print