Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is this logic correct?

« Created by: iconoclast on: Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:01am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Please critique my logic here (Read 4758 times)
iconoclast

Australian Politics

Re: Please critique my logic here
Reply #75 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 11:28am

Life_goes_on wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 8:48pm:
[quote]
And in regards to your opening post, I think you're forgetting about what are probably the two biggest motivators for crime.

Greed and Anger.

Sorry i forgot to address this. Yes this is precisely my point. If greed and anger are primary determinants of crime then it makes no difference in the end how much affluence we create for people.

They will always be greedy or angry. Poverty we could fix (maybe) but not human nature.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #76 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 12:51pm

iconoclast wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:38am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 8:22am:
iconoclast wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 2:48pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 1:35pm:
Quote:
That a very large % of crime and social dysfunctionality is not a function of absolute level of of resource access (i.e. poverty).

My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's pereceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

"Relative position" in society is how 'poverty' is determined....

There is no real 'absolute' level of resource access....
Different countries, and societies have different levels of 'resource access' and different poverty levels....

Then under such a definition, Saudi arabia which provides generously
to its citizens from oil income, still has poverty.

Would a society with 100K median income still have poor people?
i.e. in your defintion poverty is unfairness in resource allocation and not a measure of an individual's absolute ability to survive based on the resources they are allocated.  

Yes, a society with a 100k median income would still have poor people....

The cost of living is relative to the median income....the more the 'average' person earns, the more things cost...

I don't believe this is true in an absolute sense. In an absolute sense it costs me much less these days to have the basics of life as a % of my income. e.g. a 2nd hand fridge, washing machine, microwave, bed, vacuum cleaner etc are unbelievably cheap. These good were much more expensive 30 yrs ago (if they existed).

There are several causal factors: more efficient manufacturing and cheap foreign labour but the consequence is that everyone even on 20K p.a. has an absolute level of living higher than a person in the 1950s who scrubbed floors, boiled clothes and slaved over a stove.

That more depends on whether or not you define 'standard of living' by how many appliances you own....

I define it as how hours you need to work to live comfortable..

As an example, in 1950 my father earned about $11 to $15 dollars a week (converted from pounds of course)......Whn my parents married, they bought a house for about 2000 pounds ($4000.00), my mother stopped working, and on a single wage they managed to meet the mortgage, the bills (rates, power, water etc) live well, eat well and still take holidays twice a year (or more) and raise children....

All this on a weekly wage less than the current hourly rate....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

iconoclast

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:06pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 12:51pm:
iconoclast wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:38am:
Quote:
That a very large % of crime and social dysfunctionality is not a function of absolute level of of resource access (i.e. poverty).

My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's pereceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

Different countries, and societies have different levels of 'resource access' and different poverty levels....

i.e. in your defintion poverty is unfairness in resource allocation and not a measure of an individual's absolute ability to survive based on the resources they are allocated.  

Yes, a society with a 100k median income would still have poor people....

The cost of living is relative to the median income....the more the 'average' person earns, the more things cost...

I don't believe this is true in an absolute sense. In an absolute sense it costs me much less these days to have the basics of life as a % of my income. e.g. a 2nd hand fridge, washing machine, microwave, bed, vacuum cleaner etc are unbelievably cheap. These good were much more expensive 30 yrs ago (if they existed).

There are several causal factors: more efficient manufacturing and cheap foreign labour but the consequence is that everyone even on 20K p.a. has an absolute level of living higher than a person in the 1950s who scrubbed floors, boiled clothes and slaved over a stove.

That more depends on whether or not you define 'standard of living' by how many appliances you own....

I define it as how hours you need to work to live comfortable..

As an example, in 1950 my father earned about $11 to $15 dollars a week (converted from pounds of course)......Whn my parents married, they bought a house for about 2000 pounds ($4000.00), my mother stopped working, and on a single wage they managed to meet the mortgage, the bills (rates, power, water etc) live well, eat well and still take holidays twice a year (or more) and raise children....

All this on a weekly wage less than the current hourly rate....

Very good points but clearly what has shifted is standards. My history is similar but the houses i lived in would be unacceptable today. Or regarded as almost slums.

Then rise in house prices is clearly just another speculative bubble which throws in a huge confound. Houses should really be 50% cheaper to reflect historical trends.

Also, 2 cars is a new norm. I have never had a new car in my life.

If we factored out this growth in expectation- which is not really important in terms of basic survival- then I'm sure that the cost of food, appliances and even base model cars, has fallen as a % of household income. Well, that's my guess anyway.

Two incomes appear necessary to meet highly inflated housing
costs, the need for newness, bigger houses and new "standards"
of living such as private medical insurance, income protection insurance, dental costs, airconditioning etc.

I'm not sure these things are part of real poverty and indeed I'm convinced the real cost of the basics has fallen dramatically as a % of h/hold income.

I well remember my grandmother who also stayed home, shaving
soap scraps to make detergent, soaking chocos in sugar water to make "canned" pears and the rice water used as starch for ironing.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #78 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:22pm

Quote:
If we factored out this growth in expectation- which is not really important in terms of basic survival- then I'm sure that the cost of food, appliances and even base model cars, has fallen as a % of household income. Well, that's my guess anyway.

No not really...the percentage stays about the same, no matter what the median wage...

That being said, yes we have become more acquisitive, and have perhaps become confused as to the difference between 'necessity' and 'luxury' items..

The same basic idea holds today that held in the 1950's though.....No more than 2/3rds of the wage should be spent on living expenses ( 1/2 is better), if you're spending more than 2/3rds then you're living beyond your means...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #79 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 2:15pm

iconoclast wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:41am:
perceptions_now wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:52am:
Quote:

Yes, a society with a 100k median income would still have poor people   ....

That is correct, just ask the average Zimbabweans!

The point is that the poorest australian has an absolute standard of living probably higher than the zimbabwean middle class. If poverty is not defined in terms of standard of living (food, shelter etc) needed to survive then it can be defined as anything in relative terms.

In this sense, actress Shirley McLean in impoverished compared to Johnny Depp.

In fact, yes, that is one of the ways the human mind works, just ask to people who ran ENRON in the USA or ask 99% of all Politicians!

I know it's nice to be able to put easy labels on things and be able to quantify things, but things are just not simple as resource access & poverty.

Sure they are part of the total, but they aren't the total itself.

Then you need to include that all things are relative, which means that someone living on the poverty line in Australia may be rich compaired to someone living on the poverty line in Zimbawe, but it wouldn't seem that way!

Resources access, poverty, housing etc are but the lower end of maslow's Pyramid, which involve the basic wants & needs, but a great deal of crime & social dysfunction also arise from Maslow's higher functions and from basic human traits such as Anger, Greed, Pride, Lust & Envy.

There are also those, here & overseas, who "have plenty", but "want MORE".  

There are those who see others with "more than they have" and that gets them angry.

That said and as I said previously, going forward the future will become more & more difficult to deliver the resources, which are now almost an automatic fact of life to many, in the way of "cheap & abundant Energy, Food & fresh water" and I would fully expect an increase in Crime, assuming that becomes reality!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print