Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is this logic correct?

« Created by: iconoclast on: Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:01am »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Please critique my logic here (Read 4763 times)
iconoclast

Australian Politics

Please critique my logic here
Feb 13th, 2011 at 10:57am

I wish to make a simple assertion: That a very large % of crime and social dysfunctionality is not a function of absolute level of of resource access (i.e. poverty).

My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's pereceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

I make this  claim based on the following: Absolute level of resources available to all levels of Australian society have increased since WWII. Yet violent crime especially has been on the increase since 2000 (AIC figures).

In practical terms, anyone can fall down in the street. Most people have mobiles to call 000 and an ambulance will turn up. In hospital they will receive world class care, surgery, rehab and if unfit for work, a pension for life. It is not possible for any Australian to starve. Some may be temporarily homeless, but this is often a result of emotional and family issues. With low unemployment, plenty of menial jobs are available and will allow people to survive quite well. Certainly better than much of SE asia.

If relative position is the driving factor (I am on the bottom, and that
is unfair no matter how well I live) then crime will always be with us since we are primarily social primates with an acute sense of relative position.

If we didn't have migrants or some other group then we would find minor differences amongst ourselves to create a hierarchy. This is the point of Gulliver's Travels where how one opens an egg defines a group, their alien-ness and our fear of them.

If this assertion is correct then no amount of resourcing will assist in the prevention of crime or the creation of ghettos. All ghettos are a paradise compared to somalia, yet the fact that its inhabitants are on the bottom of society is not lost on them and breeds resentment and nonparticipation that is expressed in crime, addiction, poor education, teen birth rates etc.

If this assertion is true then it is logical to conclude that no amount of resourcing will change it and a different kind of policy is required.

IP Logged

iconoclast

Australian Politics

Re: Please critique my logic here
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:01am

Is crime largely unaffected by access to resources (poverty) given that ABSOLUTE level of resourcing has increased since WWII? Is crime largely driven by resentment of RELATIVE position within society, rather than a lack of access to the resources need to survive?

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:18am

Quote:

Crikey, where to begin...

Is 'crime' exclusively - or even predominantly - committed by poor people?

Is corruption not a 'crime'?

Is not the emphasis of our legal system unduly-focused on upon petty property-related crimes that the under-privileged are more prone to committing - and unduly-lax on those of better means (i.e. the white collared and the silvertailed) who are in a convenient position to engage in higher-stakes exploitation/criminality/corruption with much deeper and wider-reaching consequences (and effectively-exclusive access to lawyers who are willing to sell their souls for $$$ and perhaps also 'associated with' bent judges)!?

Do you believe that there is no insidious systemic socio-economic and legal discrimination against certain ethnic and other demographic groups in our society!?

Have you actually reviewed the official trends in crime statistics over the period you mentioned - or are you relying solely upon your own perceptions of criminality!?

Of course, in the context of the OP, these questions are purely rhetorical...

Edited:

PS Who are you and why are you hiding behind a new proxy nic?

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:29am by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:20am

One chink in your logic is that you provide no answer to the question: what would be the level of crime if the resources were not applied to its prevention.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:35am

iconoclast wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 10:57am:
I wish to make a simple assertion: That a very large % of crime and social dysfunctionality is not a function of absolute level of of resource access (i.e. poverty).

My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's pereceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

Were Bond, Skase and Adler (for example) born relatively-poor and under-privileged wretches?

Is that what drove them to steal from a great many people - or did they just have an egocentric hunger for power and/or an amoral sense of entitlement to rip others off?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 12:03pm

iconoclast wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 10:57am:
If relative position is the driving factor (I am on the bottom, and that
is unfair no matter how well I live) then crime will always be with us since we are primarily social primates with an acute sense of relative position.

The major flaw in your logic is assuming that crime is purely based on the "have-nots" resenting the "haves" or some sort of "Robin Hood" syndrome.
There are many forms of crime and many reasons for it.
- white collar crime
- drug related crime
- gang related crime
- organised crime
In my opinion the common denominator with crime is greed and power which is something that affects all socio economic groups.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 12:10pm

And, the answer is -
Yes & No!

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 12:25pm

My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's perceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

Crime rational varies, but as many of us know, it's occurrence isn't purely determined by social economic factors alone.

It depends on the type of crime, ie, I doubt a high flying business tycoon would be inclined to steal a car and go for a joy ride as some other less-endowed impoverished demographics, ....

Can any of you think of a crime that spans across all demographics, thus making it more detrimental to society than most which can be demographically, even professionally isolated to any given group, population thus targeted?

Basically, it depends on the crime, and the individuals own perception of what constitutes as crime that determines whether or not they themselves may be willing to commit certain criminal acts.

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 12:33pm

Given the nature of some unlawful behaviour in elite circles, and their perceived elevated social standing, they may be inclined to think they are above the law.

Thus be more inclined to commit such acts as though getting away with these acts themselves were confirmation of their own autonomy?

May serve to reinforce their own grandiose affect?

Smiley I think it comes down to a self justified/rationalised (falsely or otherwise) perceived entitlement...

A peasant will justify stealing a loaf of bread, as readily as a businessman will justify embezzlement in many cases.

However, as we all know, some crimes cant be put down to perceived need, rather they are committed out of pure selfishness, indulgence,  a self perceived entitlement to a-type-of-crime the lesser classes aren't  privileged to......even when this is at the expense of others who may not have had the opportunity to define their own existence, much less class yet.

These sorts of people take comfort in their deprivation alone not having altered the outcome of the 'victims' lives to any 'measurable' or great extent, so don't see their 'contributory' deviant acts alone as being harmful, or themselves accountable even.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2011 at 12:56pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 2:56pm

The biggest criticism is that your post provides no solutions, no genuine presentation of an argument and no wide-ranging view of the problem.

The causes and prevention of crime is an enormous topic. the motivations behind crime are wide and varied and the best you can do here is to address one small part of it and acknowledge it as such.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:31pm

Quote:
My claim is that a considerable % of violent, deviant and dysfunctional behaviour is a result of an individual's perceived RELATIVE position in society and not just a lack of resources.

I feel the major flaw in the argument is the very high probability that neither of these options are the one primary cause though they can both be minor contributors.

It is nowhere near as simplistic as this or it would be no problem as it could be easily fixed.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:59pm

Hasn't there been an increase in the proportion of kids enrolled in Private Schools over the period in question!?

That might at least partly explain the purported increase in violent crimes: -

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1297475999/60#62

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:48pm:
Equitist wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:46pm:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:45pm:
Strange.

I went to private school and am incredibly un-gay and in fact one kid had to leave our school because it was suspected he was gay and one night had the living daylights belted out of him.

Woody went through the scummy welfare system and is as camp as a row of tents.

Go figure.

Yer, go figure!?

Roll Eyes

We even had the cops come to our school because the kiddy had to go to hospital.
Obviously nobody ratted out the three who did.

I knew two of them but not the third.

School life eh?  Smiley

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:03pm

Or, perhaps it's just the rise of violent white supremacists and homophobes...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1297475999/69#69

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:58pm:
I heard the funniest thing today from your fellow kiwis woody.

The local hospital on a monday morning they call "Bro-Repairs" because of all your Islander mates who get on the booze and fight.
All the injuries are fists and head related!   Grin

Now I agree, you tell your fellow dark mates you are gay you would be in trouble!
I can see why you left that shite life behind in choice bro-land.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:19pm

Then again, it could also be something to do with the rise of violent and corrupt right wing extremists: -

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1297475999/79#79

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:14pm:
'working class' riff raff?

One of the kids who was most likely involved was the son of a Tory MP.....

Though dont hold me to that.

IP Logged

iconoclast

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 4:21pm

Equitist wrote on Feb 13th, 2011 at 11:18am:
Quote:

Crikey, where to begin...

Is 'crime' exclusively - or even predominantly - committed by poor people?

Is corruption not a 'crime'?

Is not the emphasis of our legal system unduly-focused on upon petty property-related crimes that the under-privileged are more prone to committing - and unduly-lax on those of better means (i.e. the white collared and the silvertailed) who are in a convenient position to engage in higher-stakes exploitation/criminality/corruption with much deeper and wider-reaching consequences (and effectively-exclusive access to lawyers who are willing to sell their souls for $$$ and perhaps also 'associated with' bent judges)!?

Do you believe that there is no insidious systemic socio-economic and legal discrimination against certain ethnic and other demographic groups in our society!?

Have you actually reviewed the official trends in crime statistics over the period you mentioned - or are you relying solely upon your own perceptions of criminality!?

Of course, in the context of the OP, these questions are purely rhetorical...

Edited:

PS Who are you and why are you hiding behind a new proxy nic?

I am not Nic or whoever. My point is a very simple one which most commentators have missed. If access to resources is greater than in the past and most people can survive in our community via govt, then "poverty" as it exists in Oz cannot be an excuse for crime. Yes, other forms of crime exist and these are unlikely to be affected by poverty- via homelessness, starvation etc. At one time, poverty was real poverty and a legitimate excuse for committing crimes in order to survive. But my point is very simple- the need to physically survive is no longer an justification for criminality whereas at one point in history it actually was.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print