Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Must see "The future of food" - SBS 8:30 (Read 2485 times)
culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Must see "The future of food" - SBS 8:30
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 8:51am

I agree with many comments made, but especially the one about the Governments and politicians being asleep at the wheel.

Before the last election the ABC aired a program highlighting the substantial foreign investment in Australia’s fertile Agricultural land, but nothing has been seen or heard of since.

My question has always been: if foreign owned companies can buy up large agricultural land in Australia and make it profitable, then why can’t the Australian Government buy this land and keep for Australians and make it profitable.

We see these pollies every night from the Liberal and Labor parties on some media format spruiking about how good they are with financial management of this country, but if they cannot make a basic farm profitable, then how can they make a country profitable.

It simply doesn’t make any sense to claim you can do one, but not the other.

We need a group of politicians that are going to start caring about Australia and Australians and putting our needs and concerns first.

Only stupid, short-sighted dumb-arse country sells its major assets, natural resources and agricultural land to foreigners.

Two properties down from my fathers, the old fella has been running a profitable wheat farm for the past 6 decades. 2 years ago at the age of 73 they decided to retire and sell the property as they had no children to inherit it. One of the first things they did was write to the State and Federal Governments asking them if they would be interested in purchasing the land. Besides being advertised for sale domestically it was also advertised for sale internationally,  as it consisted of 6,500 acres.

They never received a reply from the State or Federal Governments.  7 months the property was sold, and the new owners are now The People Republic of China.

Obviously the Chinese could see the value and potential of the land whereas the Australian State & Federal Governments must be still asleep, or on “junkets” somewhere.  

Here is just one example of an Australian food basket being sold to a foreign Government with no interest or concerns from the Australian Governments at all.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm

Verge wrote on Feb 8th, 2011 at 10:57am:
I think personally sustainable population is a greater issue.

It is correct, that there is more going on, than first meets the eye!

For starters, there are large Global Agricultural production problems, particularly in Wheat, in China (due to Drought), in Russia (due to heat & Fires), in Pakistan (due to Flood) & in Australia (due to Floods, Heat & Lack of Rain - on different sides on the continent) and with Canada & many Countries in Europe also experiencing crop reductions in the order of 15% in 2010.

It is an easy prediction, to say that the availability of many agricultural products set to decline & the price of those products set to increase!

That said, we are also set for Demand & Supply problems in other areas such as, Energy (Oil & Coal for starters) and as this decade rolls on, the retirement of 10's of millions of Baby Boomers, will also create "un-thought" of issues!

Central factors to these issues are -
1) Population Size/Growth
2) Energy Decline
3) Climate Change

Factors 2 & 3 are directly impacted by the major culprit Population!

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:42pm

perceptions_now wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm:
Verge wrote on Feb 8th, 2011 at 10:57am:
I think personally sustainable population is a greater issue.

It is correct, that there is more going on, than first meets the eye!

For starters, there are large Global Agricultural production problems, particularly in Wheat, in China (due to Drought), in Russia (due to heat & Fires), in Pakistan (due to Flood) & in Australia (due to Floods, Heat & Lack of Rain - on different sides on the continent) and with Canada & many Countries in Europe also experiencing crop reductions in the order of 15% in 2010.

It is an easy prediction, to say that the availability of many agricultural products set to decline & the price of those products set to increase!

That said, we are also set for Demand & Supply problems in other areas such as, Energy (Oil & Coal for starters) and as this decade rolls on, the retirement of 10's of millions of Baby Boomers, will also create "un-thought" of issues!

Central factors to these issues are -
1) Population Size/Growth
2) Energy Decline
3) Climate Change

Factors 2 & 3 are directly impacted by the major culprit Population!

Yeh, except that the energy is not being consumed by the overpopulated!

Wink Wink Wink Cheesy
Talk about vested interests trying to obfuscate the truth!

Grin Grin Grin

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:45pm

Someones pretending that they didn't see how much grain is taken from the poor (via perfectly legitimate 'economics' of course!) to make protein for the rich countries dietary lifestyles!

NO WONDER THE TERRORISTS ARE HERE!

Who's got a bad attitude?!?

Grin Grin Cheesy Wink Wink Wink Shocked Smiley

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 7:47pm

Tonight SBS 1 at 8.30.

It's not unreasonable to expect that future wars will be fought for food and water, not oil.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 8:56pm

I just saw the one from last week. Thanks for the tip. It was a very interesting show.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:40pm

sorry, I saw the end of it. Pretty good.

fewer people solves the problem

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:51pm

SOYLENT GREEN
2 birds 1 stone Wink

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:58pm

Rising cost of oil looks to lift loo seats

IT'S about two weeks since oil prices hit a two-year record of $100 a barrel. With oil prices expected to hover around the $100 mark for the rest of the year, it looks like oil will be the next big thing to eat into your pockets.

YOUR SUPERMARKET TROLLEY

Many of the items you put in your supermarket trolley each week are either made of oil, or were transported there using it.

"Oil affects the price of everything," says Michael Kelleher, energy trading analyst with Bord Gais. "You can't produce anything without energy and oil is often the energy -- or within whatever is producing that energy.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/rising-cost-of-oil-looks-to-...

Fertiliser prices have already shot up over the last few months. No surprise then that the price of flour, which is made from wheat, jumped by 13.3 per cent last year while the price of breakfast cereals (often made of wheat and barley) was up 6.3 per cent.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print