Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Credit Card Problems Begining For Many Families. (Read 368 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Credit Card Problems Begining For Many Families.
Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:36am

THE festive season's over and school holidays are almost done, but credit-card problems are beginning for many families.   Sad

Tempted by easily obtained cards and offers of increased credit, many consumers are falling into a debt trap.
In 2009 Australia topped $45 billion in credit card debt, or $3139 a cardholder.   Sad

Recent summer holidays and school fees mean some families now owe much more.   Sad

To cope, Choice spokeswoman Ingrid Just recommends working out your monthly spend and using the credit card that best suits your situation.

Ms Just says all credit debt should be consolidated into the best account for you; the worst thing you can do is get a new card or cards to pay off others.

Consumers should also be mindful of loyalty programs, and ensure they pay the interest off at the least each month.

"By shopping around for a credit card that works best for you, you can save up to $440 a year,'' Just says.
Choice's Compare, Ditch and Switch site (via www.choice .com.au) allows consumers to compare credit card deals, rates and rules.

Consumer Affairs Victoria's www.moneyhelp.org.au website also offers advice and warns a $1000 debt can take 11 years and $860 in interest to clear if you make minimum 2.5 per cent repayments.

It recommends seeking help from your bank or financial institution before things get out of control.

For free debt advice or to find a financial counsellor, call Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 558 181. Net link: www.consumer.vic.gov.au

MANAGING CREDIT CARD DEBT

* Use cash if possible. Avoid credit cards unless you can pay them off in the interest-free period.

* If possible, pay the whole balance in the interest-free period.

* Don't exceed the limit unless you can pay it off in the short term, especially if your income is reduced.

* Don't get a second credit card believing it will solve your problems.

* Avoid credit-card cash advances, as interest charges apply immediately.

* Consider cancelling direct debits to better control what you pay and when, but don't breach contractual obligations.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Credit Card Problems Begining For Many Families.
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:39am

Here is today's good advice.  Get yourself a pair of scissors, and cut your credit card in half.    Smiley

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 7:45am

Quote:
Here is today's good advice.  Get yourself a pair of scissors, and cut your credit card in half.    Smiley  

Some families are using their credit cards to subsidise their weekly income, because so many are on part-time hours now their pay doesn't go far enough to meet the rising cost of living.

This system works for a while, but eventually catches up with them.....then the woes begin  Cry

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 7:51am

But I don't understand how can that be?.  I mean how can that be so, in a country that's got low unemployment. and jobs on every street corner.   Sad

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 8:07am

Quote:
But I don't understand how can that be?.  I mean how can that be so, in a country that's got low unemployment. and jobs on every street corner.   Sad    

yeah maybe I'm wrong after all. I forgot we have more vacancies than people to fill them lol  What will it be next quarter?  -2% unemployment?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print