Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time To Get Rid Of The White Elephant (Grand Prix) (Read 685 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Time To Get Rid Of The White Elephant (Grand Prix)
Jan 29th, 2011 at 9:46am

FORMULA One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is prepared to negotiate moving Melbourne's Grand Prix to another venue next year, with Perth a potential host city.

Mr Ecclestone has said he could scrap the contract on the Grand Prix, which runs until 2015.

"If the mayor thinks I’m cranky, I can probably be able to help him by proving it. If he’s not happy with the event in Australia, if he wants to cancel the contract, we’d be happy to talk to him about that," Mr Ecclestone said on radio station 3AW this morning.

"If he wishes to cease having the event in Melbourne, I am happy to discuss that with him."

The F1 supremo's outburst comes after a report in The Sunday Times last week spruiked Perth's credentials as a host city, with the Swan River foreshore a perfect backdrop to showcase the city and the event.

A Perth race would boost European television audiences because of the time difference and while WA Premier Colin Barnett was given a briefing on the grand prix some months ago, he has refused to reveal more details.

Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi was also keeping mum, saying it was not appropriate for her to comment "on such an event".

Newly-appointed Tourism Minister Kim Hames has opened the door for Perth to potentially bid for the grand prix after recently saying he would fight for a bigger slice of the State Budget so EventsCorp could attract bigger events to Perth.

He wants EventsCorp's annual events funding budget increased from $12 million to probably somewhere around the $50-60 million mark, which would put the grand prix within reach.

Victoria's event budget in comparison is about $130 million, with the state spending approximately $47 million on the Australian Grand Prix.

Outside interest

F1 boss Ecclestone said there were “quite a few countries that are waiting'' for a grand prix but he has no plans to pull the plug on the Melbourne event before the current deal expires in 2015.

He said he would consider its future in 2013 unless the city wants to take action sooner.

“We have a contract - we don't break contracts,'' Mr Ecclestone said.

Mr Ecclestone said he would be happy to discuss tearing up the contract with Cr Doyle as soon as tomorrow morning if that was his wish, but he had never had any dealings with the Mayor and had no idea what his authority or motivation was.

Mr Ecclestone's threats come after Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle last week suggested it could be time for Melbourne to give up hosting the March event, citing growing losses and waning public interest. He concurred the event had been in Melbourne a long time.

"I wouldn’t say (the race would stay) indefinitely. We’ve stayed an awful long time. There is no reason why we should leave. It’s up to him, if he wants to talk about terminating the contract… he should talk to someone in our organisation if he thinks I’m cranky and see what he can come up with."

"I bet I should be dealing with these things longer than he is going to be Mayor in Melbourne."

The F1 boss said he did not know what the cost of the event was and would not speculate how much should be spent on it, but that he would definitely not tolerate a business of his losing $70 million a year.

“I have no control over what people spend,'' he said.

Following the debate over the race's future in Melbourne launched by an article Cr Doyle wrote for the Sunday Herald Sun, Mr Ecclestone said he would liked to have known about the anti-Grad Prix sentiment before renewing the event's contract.

“We have always been happy because I’ve always thought we had big big support in Melbourne.

“The only thing is the Mayor doubts it.''

In its 15-year lifespan, taxpayers have poured more that $249 million to top up operating losses.   Shocked  

The first race lost $1.5 million. Last year's losses almost cracked $50 million.   Sad

Crowd numbers are down from a peak of 401,000 in 1996 to a low of 286,000 in 2009.   Sad

Comments on this story

DJ of Koondoola Posted at 9:24 PM January 28, 2011

I'm sorry, I'd love to see this kind of event here, but does anyone seriously believe it could have a snowball in hell's chance of happening? With a MINIMUM spend of somewhere near $50 MILLION to get it off the ground? Are you joking, Mr Hames? Have you looked at the logistics in any way at all? The massive disruption this would cause (I saw what the Indy did to Gold Coast... Great event, but a huge logistical nightmare) alone is amazing in it's scope, not to mention that in this current climate of disaster and devastation, you'd have the absolute gall to suggest spending money on this event!!! Mr Hames, you're as out of touch with reality.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Time To Get Rid Of The White Elephant (Grand Prix)
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:15am

Yes it's just not working berni and it's costing us 50 million a year so we need to get rid of it Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:19am

Yes that's right nail.  the sooner we get rid of this lemon the better.  Unfortunately though, it looks like we are stuck with it till 2015.   Sad

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:35am

Quote:
Yes that's right nail.  the sooner we get rid of this lemon the better.  Unfortunately though, it looks like we are stuck with it till 2015.   Sad  

Thats what you get by taking it from Adelaide where it was profitable and voted the best circuit in the F1 calendar several times. Victorian money might speak loud, but apparently it speaks nonsense.

But we dont want it now. you vics have tainted it.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:45am

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:35am:
Quote:
Yes that's right nail.  the sooner we get rid of this lemon the better.  Unfortunately though, it looks like we are stuck with it till 2015.   Sad   

Thats what you get by taking it from Adelaide where it was profitable and voted the best circuit in the F1 calendar several times. Victorian money might speak loud, but apparently it speaks nonsense.

But we dont want it now. you vics have tainted it.

you can have it back. I for one never wanted the stupid thing here.

fancy in a world of dwindling oil supplies we are promoting a form of entertainment which encourages wastage and pollution Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:48am

I never wanted it in the first place.  We can thank one Liberal premier for that.   Sad      

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:55am

Quote:
I never wanted it in the first place.  We can thank one Liberal premier for that.   Sad        

well you idiots wanted it. you idiots kept it. now you can suck up the annual losses!!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 11:04am

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:55am:
Quote:
I never wanted it in the first place.  We can thank one Liberal premier for that.   Sad       

well you idiots wanted it. you idiots kept it. now you can suck up the annual losses!!

well i didn't want it and never spent a cent to go and see it.

It's the typical brain dead sports mentality in this country which makes the tax payer fit the bill just to entertain the top end of town Sad

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 12:15pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 11:04am:
Quote:
I never wanted it in the first place.  We can thank one Liberal premier for that.   Sad        

It's the typical brain dead sports mentality in this country which makes the tax payer fit the bill just to entertain the top end of town Sad

Wow. is there ANYTHING you actually LIKE? you seem to hate anything and anyone. you hate cars. you hate sports. you hate housing. you hate christians. you hate... well everybody. what is there you actually LIKE or enjoy doing?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:13pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
Quote:

Wow. is there ANYTHING you actually LIKE? you seem to hate anything and anyone. you hate cars. you hate sports. you hate housing. you hate christians. you hate... well everybody. what is there you actually LIKE or enjoy doing?

Yes I like new technology that can make life EASIER and a lot less expensive for EVERYONE whereas you HATE that !!!

I never said I hated housing. I said I don't like overinflated housing and governments using tax payers money to artificially inflate housing bubbles and thus pushing away the very people who just want to own one joint for themselves. Whereas you who profess to be a christian prefer the complete opposite where housing is treated as a commodity item to speculate on so that greedy people have the right to own many houses at the expense of a single family just wanting to own and live in one joint for themselves.

I never said I hated christians. I just hate how they have been brainwashed and manipulated with absolute nonsense in order to extort money from them by corrupt money grabbing institutions.

Read what I write sometimes.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:18pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:13pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
Quote:

Yes I like new technology that can make life EASIER and a lot less expensive for EVERYONE whereas you HATE that !!!

I never said I hated housing. I said I don't like overinflated housing and governments using tax payers money to artificially inflate housing bubbles and thus pushing away the very people who just want to own one joint for themselves. Whereas you who profess to be a christian prefer the complete opposite where housing is treated as a commodity item to speculate on so that greedy people have the right to own many houses at the expense of a single family just wanting to own and live in one joint for themselves.

I never said I hated christians. I just hate how they have been brainwashed and manipulated with absolute nonsense in order to extort money from them by corrupt money grabbing institutions.

so you like new technology... thats all? thats your entire list of things you like???

No wonder you are so bitter.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:44pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:18pm:

so you like new technology... thats all? thats your entire list of things you like???

read what I write PROPERLY and stop quoting things out of context.

I said

"I like new technology that can make life EASIER and a lot less expensive for EVERYONE whereas you HATE that"

which is a lot different than what you said I said.

And when have you ever written threads which outline ideas for the benefit of the masses ?? Being a rusted on liberal voter means that you despise things like that !!

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 4:28pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:44pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:18pm:

read what I write PROPERLY and stop quoting things out of context.

I said

"I like new technology that can make life EASIER and a lot less expensive for EVERYONE whereas you HATE that"

which is a lot different than what you said I said.

And when have you ever written threads which outline ideas for the benefit of the masses ?? Being a rusted on liberal voter means that you despise things like that !!

so i repeat...

Is there anything much that you DO like since you seem to hate everything?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 5:08pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 4:28pm:
so i repeat...

Is there anything much that you DO like since you seem to hate everything?

Yes most of my threads suggest good things and good ideas to help out the battlers and the less fortunate in society. It's just that you interpret them as hating your wealthy masters and that is not my problem.

Change your sh.t attitude in life instead of licking the boots of your corporate masters who wouldn't piss in your mouth if your teeth were on fire !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print