Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
time to scrap first home and baby bonus (Read 5706 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: time to scrap first home and baby bonus
Reply #30 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:08am

freediver wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:04am:
Quote:
If the baby bonus didn't exist - do you think our tax rates would go down?

Yes. For starters, they wouldn't have to introduce this new tax. This is a pretty feeble minded excuse for government largesse.

Quote:
We bought it for her room and it was lovely and cool at 19C each night and through the afternoons. Even when it was 40C outside.

I'm sure your daughter will thank you when she finds herself unable to go outside unless it is 19 degrees. You can always buy her an Xbox instead with what little is left of your wages after the government has taken them away and given them back.

And if you believe taxes would go down if they removed the baby bonus, then you are one gullible person.
They wouldn't reduce by even 0.5%.

Oh and yes, I know fully grown adults can only handle the temperatures they had as a new born.
That's obvious isn't it.

Silly us, we should have left a new born in 40C.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:09am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:01am:
freediver wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 9:56am:
Air conditioning is a significant contributor to the obesity epidemic. It is also a significant contributor to both global warming and the urban heat island effect. Your child is not allergic to the natural environment.

Even if you do spend it on the 'right' things, that is not a justification for taking money from some other family to spend on your family.

Quote:
My wife and I paid $8k per month in taxes one year.

And this is a good idea? The government takes $10000 from you, wastes half of it on bureaucracy, then gives you back the remaining $5000. Explain why you support this please?

The Government takes $100,000 off us over a year.

No of course not. So we deserve the $5k back at least given we paid for it many times over.

As regards air con. If you think my little newborn was going to sleep in a room without aircon through a Melbourne summer then you can whistle dixie.
We bought it for her room and it was lovely and cool at 19C each night and through the afternoons. Even when it was 40C outside.

You do realise, don't you, that she was incubating for about 9 months at approximately 37.5C - which remains her normal body temperature - and therefore that an environment of 19C is unnatural for her body!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:09am

Equitist wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:03pm:
I agree that the First Home Owners Grant and ill-conceived Baby Bonus should be better means-tested - but high up on any such list should be: -

* The Pseudo-Private 30% Health Insurance Rebate - which should be means-tested at the very least.

* Pseudo-Private/Independent School Funding - should be properly means-tested so as to severely limit funding for elite and exclusive wealthy private schools.

* Child Handling subsidies - which should be appropriately means-tested.

* Capital Gains Tax Concessions - especially on shares.

But at the very top should be the multi-billion dollar reverse-means-tested Superannuation Tax Concessions scam!

Agree. This is the perfect time to be used as a platform for changes , like these.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:10am

Yes freediver you are quite right.  Get rid of the Baby Bonus, and the first home buyers grant.  However the timing is wrong, they should have gone years ago.   Sad

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:22am

Quote:
Yes freediver you are quite right.  Get rid of the Baby Bonus, and the first home buyers grant.  However the timing is wrong, they should have gone years ago.   Sad

I agree with your basic comments!

Certainly, the baby bonus should go altogether, for a couple of reasons.

However, on the FHBG, the timing isn't good, it really should have gone some time ago, but the next few years, in states other than Quensland, the building industry may find itself quite flat and only a few (in the grand scheme of things) will actually up stumps and shift to Queensland, so I would retain the FHBG for a couple of years.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:23am

Quote:
Yes freediver you are quite right.  Get rid of the Baby Bonus, and the first home buyers grant.  However the timing is wrong, they should have gone years ago.   Sad

Get rid of the baby bonus, less will breed, to make way for more immigration.

Get rid of the first home buyers grant, well, they might as well, there are no 'affordable' houses left to purchase anyway.

Perhaps there could be healthy in-between,  the first home buyers grant could apply to the 'first' baby havers grant also?

When I had my two, there was no baby bonus, should I be entitled to back-pay?

Wink

I'm thinking of having another baby within a few years, (once my course is finished, and I'm fully self-employed)...  however wont be unless I'm in a position to do so financially...I have promised the two I have a pool first...so this has to go in first...should be in by next summer.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #36 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:28am

Equitist wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:09am:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:01am:
freediver wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 9:56am:
Air conditioning is a significant contributor to the obesity epidemic. It is also a significant contributor to both global warming and the urban heat island effect. Your child is not allergic to the natural environment.

Even if you do spend it on the 'right' things, that is not a justification for taking money from some other family to spend on your family.

Quote:
My wife and I paid $8k per month in taxes one year.

And this is a good idea? The government takes $10000 from you, wastes half of it on bureaucracy, then gives you back the remaining $5000. Explain why you support this please?

The Government takes $100,000 off us over a year.

No of course not. So we deserve the $5k back at least given we paid for it many times over.

As regards air con. If you think my little newborn was going to sleep in a room without aircon through a Melbourne summer then you can whistle dixie.

You do realise, don't you, that she was incubating for about 9 months at approximately 37.5C - which remains her normal body temperature - and therefore that an environment of 19C is unnatural for her body!?

Then care to explain why the maternity hospitals are custom set to 19C?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #37 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:29am

Anyway when all is said and done, we spent the money wisely and correctly.

If people do that and it helps gives the baby a good start in life then I am all for it.

If it is spent wisely, I am fine with it.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:31am

Babies can't sweat & so they could die of heat exhaustion when it's 40 degrees.

IP Logged

Carl D
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:34am

mellie wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:23am:
I'm thinking of having another baby within a few years, (once my course is finished, and I'm fully self-employed)...  however wont be unless I'm in a position to do so financially...I have promised the two I have a pool first...so this has to go in first...should be in by next summer.

Smiley

Wait a minute... weren't you saying not so long ago that Australia already had too many people and we need to start reducing the population?

I guess leading by example isn't one of your strong points then?

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:39am

Did or will everyone spend it wisely?.  How many people went out and had kids as a result of this baby bonus?.  It is a well known fact, that their are some people out there that have kids, that should just not have had them.  Yes I do know it sounds very harsh, but the reality is children are very expensive, and if you cant afford them, well then as hard as it is, don't have them.  In other words, better not to have kids than bring them up in poverty, or semi poverty conditions.  As we know as sad as it is, Australia has around two million people living in poverty.  A very sad state of affairs, is it not?.   Sad

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:42am

Quote:
And if you believe taxes would go down if they removed the baby bonus, then you are one gullible person.

Taxes go up and down all the time, but mostly up, because for some reason there are so many people like you whop support government waste so long as they get back a fraction of their own money after the government wasted most of it.

Obviously there are multiple causes for each move and it is hard to blame one tax hike or drop on one policy change. However, right now it is more clear than ever - we will get yet another tax hike unless the government drops more of these absurd middle class welfare handouts.

Tell me Andrei, if dropping the baby bonus meant we avoided a tax hike, is that just as useful as if it caused taxes to go down?

Quote:
Oh and yes, I know fully grown adults can only handle the temperatures they had as a new born.
That's obvious isn't it.

Air conditioning is a significant contributor to the obesity epidemic. This is well documented. It is also well documented that the habits that parents set up in their children can impact their whole lives. If you turn them into obese, lazy, feeble minded children, they will end up as obese, lazy, feeble minded adults, who support middle class welfare because they don't understand how silly it is for the government to take with one hand and give with the other.

Quote:
However, on the FHBG, the timing isn't good, it really should have gone some time ago, but the next few years, in states other than Quensland, the building industry may find itself quite flat

What about all the rebuilding?

Quote:
I have promised the two I have a pool first...so this has to go in first...should be in by next summer.

Maybe the baby bonus can help with the pool.
Quote:

Except for all the money you gave to the government to waste on bureacracy so they could give a bit of it back to you.

Quote:
If people do that and it helps gives the baby a good start in life then I am all for it.

Great, lets throw rationality out the window because there are babies involved.

Quote:

I agree it is a bad idea to leave a baby out in the sun on a hot day. Or overnight during a storm. This is not the same as a climate controlled room.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:43am

Quote:
Did or will everyone spend it wisely?.  How many people went out and had kids as a result of this baby bonus?.  It is a well known fact, that their are some people out there that have kids, that should just not have had them.  Yes I do know it sounds very harsh, but the reality is children are very expensive, and if you cant afford them, well then as hard as it is, don't have them.  In other words, better not to have kids than bring them up in poverty, or semi poverty conditions.  As we know as sad as it is, Australia has around two million people living in poverty.  A very sad state of affairs, is it not?.   Sad    

Well said - a very good post.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #43 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:47am

There seems to be a number of underlying issues being raised here (and elsewhere) - and a few others that I believe to be important in the overall scheme of things - including: -

* That, for the majority, one average adult wage no longer covers the basic costs of living and raising a family in 21st Century Australia - hence some form of ongoing Govt subsidy has become necessary for many families. I point out that this is largely because the wages share of GDP has been falling for several decades - whilst the CEOs' and shareholders' shares of GDP has been rising - and that these changes have been accelerating.

* That welfare should be means-tested, so as to exclude WEALTHfare and to moderate the impact upon the Govt coffers (i.e. taxpayers).

* There has been an increasing-trend towards targeted hand-outs for socio-economic engineering and vote-buying purposes - many of which have been ill-conceived and some of which have been introduced under false pretenses and with divisive intent.

* That targeted lump-sum Govt subsidies often lead to rorting, consumer exploitation, OH&S issues, disproportionate price rises and other unintended socio-economic impacts (which only serve to undermine the original intent behind the subsidy).

* That corporate WEALTHfare should go to progressive ground-breaking, socially responsible and environmentally friendly industries - not to established polluters and/or resource-plunderers.

* That highly profitable parasitic industries need to be reigned in for broader and long-tern socio-economic and environmental benefit.

* That funding for long-term education, training and employment of Australian citizens should be given priority over short-term stop-gap measures such as exporting education and importing workers.

* That we need to adopt the best aspects of globalisation and ditch or limit the impact of adverse ones.

* That the insurance industry needs to be better regulated and supervised - such that real-world risks cannot be uninsured en masse!

* That there is scientific evidence that suggests we are in for more frequent and/or extreme weather events and climatic changes - and therefore that we need to push our civic planning and insurance industry to take steps to minimise the risks to individuals, families, the community and Govts.

This is just a brainstorm - it is by no means an exhaustive list. As others have suggested, I think that the flood crises have highlighted the need for the nation to have a serious debate about what types of Govt interventions, subsidies and programs are legitimate - and which ones aren't.

I, for one, hope that the nation will take advantage of the window of opportunity created by the floods, to take a pragmatic and altrustic look at: where we're at, what we want our Govts to do and where we want our Govts to go from here...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #44 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:55am

freediver wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:42am:
Quote:

Taxes go up and down all the time, but mostly up, because for some reason there are so many people like you whop support government waste so long as they get back a fraction of their own money after the government wasted most of it.

Obviously there are multiple causes for each move and it is hard to blame one tax hike or drop on one policy change. However, right now it is more clear than ever - we will get yet another tax hike unless the government drops more of these absurd middle class welfare handouts.

Tell me Andrei, if dropping the baby bonus meant we avoided a tax hike, is that just as useful as if it caused taxes to go down?

Quote:
That's obvious isn't it.

Air conditioning is a significant contributor to the obesity epidemic. This is well documented. It is also well documented that the habits that parents set up in their children can impact their whole lives. If you turn them into obese, lazy, feeble minded children, they will end up as obese, lazy, feeble minded adults, who support middle class welfare because they don't understand how silly it is for the government to take with one hand and give with the other.

Quote:
However, on the FHBG, the timing isn't good, it really should have gone some time ago, but the next few years, in states other than Quensland, the building industry may find itself quite flat

What about all the rebuilding?

Quote:
I have promised the two I have a pool first...so this has to go in first...should be in by next summer.

Maybe the baby bonus can help with the pool.
Quote:

Except for all the money you gave to the government to waste on bureacracy so they could give a bit of it back to you.

Quote:

Great, lets throw rationality out the window because there are babies involved.

Quote:

I agree it is a bad idea to leave a baby out in the sun on a hot day. Or overnight during a storm. This is not the same as a climate controlled room.

In total, you are generally correct!

That said, there are exceptions, as can be seen currently, in the USA, UK, Greece and some others countries, where the total Tax take is actually in decline!

However, in Australia and in the specific areas of the Individual & Business Tax Rates, they have actually gone down, over a lengthy period of time!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print