Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
time to scrap first home and baby bonus (Read 5683 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
time to scrap first home and baby bonus
Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:22pm

The first home owners grant and the baby bonus should be the first targets for budget cuts to pay for rebuilding flood damage. The first home owners grant is especially suitable as scrapping it would free up builders that are going to be in high demand. Neither of these handouts are necessary. They are both vote buying scams.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: time to scrap first home and baby bonus
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:03pm

I agree that the First Home Owners Grant and ill-conceived Baby Bonus should be better means-tested - but high up on any such list should be: -

* The Pseudo-Private 30% Health Insurance Rebate - which should be means-tested at the very least.

* Pseudo-Private/Independent School Funding - should be properly means-tested so as to severely limit funding for elite and exclusive wealthy private schools.

* Child Handling subsidies - which should be appropriately means-tested.

* Capital Gains Tax Concessions - especially on shares.

But at the very top should be the multi-billion dollar reverse-means-tested Superannuation Tax Concessions scam!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 12:00am

freediver wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:22pm:
The first home owners grant and the baby bonus should be the first targets for budget cuts to pay for rebuilding flood damage. The first home owners grant is especially suitable as scrapping it would free up builders that are going to be in high demand. Neither of these handouts are necessary. They are both vote buying scams.

I agree.....means testing other wealthfare would also cut the fat as Tony puts it!!!

Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 5:33am

I agree, cut them both completely. And stop all wealthfare, people on good wages don't require government assistance they can quite easily support themselves.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:36am

and whilst they are at it the freaking paid maternity leave..

this generation gets so many hand out. they are almost cripples..

how the hell did my generation manage and the one before that?.

I dont believe in punishing the rich for... well.. being rich .

the wealthy employ a hell of a lot more people than the poor do..
maybe they get more than their share I wouldnt know..but if they pay tax then they shouldnt be denied.

however I am sick of seeing the way we are heading into a dependent generation who cant do a bloody thing without a govt handout even have a baby... some folks must use centrelink like a revolving door..

babybonus ONCE...first home buyers bonus should be paid back through their incometax... sort of like HECS..I believe they need help but sheeeeeeeeeez.. not just gifts over and over again.

they can choose what they do that way.. they wont rush in and buy a house they cant afford.. or have a baby they dont want.. because its easy.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:49am

cods wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:36am:

maybe they get more than their share I wouldnt know..but if they pay tax then they shouldnt be denied.

however I am sick of seeing the way we are heading into a dependent generation who cant do a bloody thing without a govt handout even have a baby... some folks must use centrelink like a revolving door..

babybonus ONCE...first home buyers bonus should be paid back through their incometax... sort of like HECS..I believe they need help but sheeeeeeeeeez.. not just gifts over and over again.

they can choose what they do that way.. they wont rush in and buy a house they cant afford.. or have a baby they dont want.. because its easy.

Would they cope without the $5000 for new everything in the nursery? what if they had to buy a second hand cot and do it up? how would they explain that to their friends? what if they had to hand the clothes down from one baby to the next?

I wonder if the baby bonus were to go whether we would see a decrease in births, my bet is a big decrease, the youngins' will think twice if there's no xbox at the end of it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:54am

cods wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:36am:

Well said again Cods. We are treating half the population as invalids and they take it for granted that they're entitled to a handout. We're already at the point where so many of them don't know how to help themselves.

It is impossible for this country to maintain the current welfare bill.

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:13am

[quote author=freediver link=1296217335/0#0 date=1296217335]The first home owners grant and the baby bonus should be the first targets for budget cuts to pay for rebuilding flood damage. The first home owners grant is especially suitable as scrapping it would free up builders that are going to be in high demand. Neither of these handouts are necessary. They are both vote buying scams. [quote]

Free up builders? Maybe you best check the facts before you post dribble.  As for the baby bonus. Yep DUMP it.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:15am

The first home owners grant and the baby bonus should be the first targets for budget cuts to pay for rebuilding flood damage.

The First Homes Owners Grant just put up the prices of housing and the Baby Bonus just increased sales of plasma screens.

Unmeans tested middle class welfare came into vogue during the previous decade but surely scrapping these handouts would do less political damage than the flood levy.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:15am

whatsforme wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:13am:
[quote author=freediver link=1296217335/0#0 date=1296217335]The first home owners grant and the baby bonus should be the first targets for budget cuts to pay for rebuilding flood damage. The first home owners grant is especially suitable as scrapping it would free up builders that are going to be in high demand. Neither of these handouts are necessary. They are both vote buying scams. [quote]

Free up builders? Maybe you best check the facts before you post dribble.  As for the baby bonus. Yep DUMP it.

Now whatsforme is also insulting the moderator! 

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:16am

Equitist wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:03pm:
I agree that the First Home Owners Grant and ill-conceived Baby Bonus should be better means-tested - but high up on any such list should be: -

* The Pseudo-Private 30% Health Insurance Rebate - which should be means-tested at the very least.

* Pseudo-Private/Independent School Funding - should be properly means-tested so as to severely limit funding for elite and exclusive wealthy private schools.

* Child Handling subsidies - which should be appropriately means-tested.

* Capital Gains Tax Concessions - especially on shares.

But at the very top should be the multi-billion dollar reverse-means-tested Superannuation Tax Concessions scam!

I guess none of the above would affect you. Is that the reason you would get rid of them?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:28am

Free up builders? Maybe you best check the facts before you post dribble.  As for the baby bonus. Yep DUMP it.

Yes, scrapping the FHOG would free up builders.

It's unusual to see so mujch agreement on a topic.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:32am

the more hand out the more they inflated , people became ill as they depend too much on those hand out .. as thing have been inflated too much .. how much those hand out really worth now .. they are just trashes ...

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:37am

Some facts....as for posters agreeing with you check out who they are. Pansi, Nem, batshit, philperth. Take out Nem and collectively there wouldn't be two brain cells between them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/30/3026065.htm

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:38am

freediver wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:28am:

Yes, scrapping the FHOG would free up builders.

It's unusual to see so mujch agreement on a topic.

I genuinely believe that most people - even the recipients - know that these handouts are inherently "wrong".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print