Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dont Go Back To Abuses Saw Under Howard Government (Read 662 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Dont Go Back To Abuses Saw Under Howard Government
Jan 28th, 2011 at 2:58pm

Fast visas for foreign workers

OVERSEAS workers and the unemployed will be targeted to undertake the massive Queensland flood rebuilding program.

Visa approval will be sped up, to just five days, for temporary overseas workers if an employer is unable to find skilled local workers to do the job, Julia Gillard said.

Unions are unhappy with the speeding up of the ''457'' visa program, warning it could be used to drive down local wages and was ripe for exploitation.   Sad

But business groups welcomed it as critical to preventing a skills shortage and wage pressure as Queensland rebuilds roads and rail, and competes with the mining industry for labour.

Construction unions have lobbied hard against the employer-sponsored visa category in the past, which they say has been abused in the building industry to bring in large numbers of low-paid Chinese workers in sham contracting scams.   Sad

The ACTU president, Ged Kearney, said 457 visas should only be granted for Queensland projects where there was a genuine need. ''No one wants to see a return to the sorts of abuses we saw under the former Coalition government where unscrupulous employers were allowed to exploit overseas workers,'' Ms Kearney said.   Angry

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union national secretary, David Oliver, said: ''We want to make sure we have the right checks and balances, and proper market rates are being paid.''   Wink    Smiley

But the Australian Industry Group chief executive, Heather Ridout, said speeding up visa approvals ''is the right call''. The move was also welcomed by the Business Council of Australia.  

The Labor government had moved to tighten the list of applicable 457 occupations in the wake of the financial crisis.

Ms Gillard said the flood recovery measures would also boost the ability of local jobseekers to fill vacancies on Queensland rebuilding projects. Expanding a relocation program for the unemployed from 2000 to 4000 places would ''get them to where the jobs are''.

Single job-seekers who have been out of work for three months will be paid up to $6000 in incentives, and families $9000, to move to a regional Queensland area to take a job. Flood areas would be added to the relocation priority list, and job-seekers willing to move for six months enlisted.

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Dont Go Back To Abuses Saw Under Howard Government
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 9:15pm

Ah yes, the ALP: the workers' friend.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:14pm

Lets face it mate.....Australia is under skilled and unable to provide the skilled labour to undertake major infrastructure projects, rebuild Queensland and sustain the growth driven by the mining boom.....Australia needs to poach skilled labour from poorer countries because we failed to adequately train our own youth over the last decade.....you reap what you sew.....skilled migrants are needed because business will not pay to train young Australians.....Heather Ridout should condemn the industries that caused this shortfall and the previous Howard government who cut training programs and CES job training!!!

Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

bridonta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 12:47am

whether lib or lab are the same, have you watched on the news lately??

Hundreds of thousands Chinese workers are rushing home for Chinese new year .. The problems are local people in those big cities around the world just don't want to work crappy jobs and low paid, that why those cities have policies to open doors for mass migrant from country sides workers to work in those cities .. Those people have no skills, but they willing to work in bad conditions and low paid jobs such as construction worker, driver, bouncer, rubbish collector, cleaner, house keeper, waiter ..... they gradually developed their skills and became very helpful to their employers .. That's how those countries like China have benefited to trade in selling cheap products around the world .. However there are huge problems arising everyday in term of cost of living like rising prices in food, electricity, water and other service products within those cities .. also traffic congestion, flooding due to over capacity of the drainage system, high unemployment of the local youth, increasing in crime rates .... and the answers are in Tunisia and Egypt right now ..

The same situation is at home , to boost up population high prices in housing and cost of living .. everything went up too much and it's costly for the government to build all infrastructures needed .. and none of them seem to have any answers but just kept on screaming to import more .. people .. wonder why most employers I know are not happy to employ the local but overseas ..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:51am

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 10:14pm:
Lets face it mate.....Australia is under skilled and unable to provide the skilled labour to undertake major infrastructure projects, rebuild Queensland and sustain the growth driven by the mining boom.....Australia needs to poach skilled labour from poorer countries because we failed to adequately train our own youth over the last decade.....you reap what you sew.....skilled migrants are needed because business will not pay to train young Australians.....Heather Ridout should condemn the industries that caused this shortfall and the previous Howard government who cut training programs and CES job training!!!

Smiley

I didnt know the Howard govt cut training jobs.. phil when did they do that, seems a bizarre thing to do.. I mean would they cut back on training doctors..or scientists?..

I think crook need to change his outlook to be honest..he is so anti everything other than whats good for the unions..I often wonder how much he is paid..lol

Qld is going to be a huge test for skilled and unskilled labor..he should in my opinion be barracking for more skilled migration... we are going to need all the help we can get.. now WA is at the front of a massive cyclone.. and somethings building in Fiji that looks to be coming Qlds way..

also the vulcano will do mighty damage to our region over time.

the unions try to make this country insular to please themselves they like control.. I think you will find few skilled tradies belong to the unions...a lot are selfemployed today... mini rich people if you like.. an electrcian $80 to come to the door. yikies!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:57am

The same situation is at home , to boost up population high prices in housing and cost of living .. everything went up too much and it's costly for the government to build all infrastructures needed .. and none of them seem to have any answers but just kept on screaming to import more .. people .. wonder why most employers I know are not happy to employ the local but overseas

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wouldnt know about that but I cant help feeling we are developing into a very greedy population..

every member of the family has to have a car.. their own computer.  own TV..each and everyone has their own phone..

have you noticed we dont share much anymore..

no matter how poor the family is, or we are told they are poor.. go into the homes and see what they have?? I think you would be surprised.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 7:53am

salad in wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 9:15pm:

In this case more like the flood victims friend.

As long as this is used to provide a workforce where sufficient labour is not available I see little problem.

This does not appear to be like the situation which the Liberals sponsored where 457's were used to replace existing work forces as well as to undercut wages and conditions - bringing the third world to Australia.

It is set up to provide labour where it will be insufficient - the available labour in the region would be a major bottle neck to the required projects and would cause significant delays in service restoration and rebuilding processes.

No doubt there will be those who choose to exploit the situation the test will be how the government reacts to the inevitable abuses.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:53am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 7:53am:
salad in wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 9:15pm:

In this case more like the flood victims friend.

As long as this is used to provide a workforce where sufficient labour is not available I see little problem.

This does not appear to be like the situation which the Liberals sponsored where 457's were used to replace existing work forces as well as to undercut wages and conditions - bringing the third world to Australia.

It is set up to provide labour where it will be insufficient - the available labour in the region would be a major bottle neck to the required projects and would cause significant delays in service restoration and rebuilding processes.

No doubt there will be those who choose to exploit the situation the test will be how the government reacts to the inevitable abuses.

It needs to be rembered that Howard used the 457s back in a time when we had FULL EMPLOYMENT - soemthing we dont have now.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 2:04pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 10:53am:
It needs to be rembered that Howard used the 457s back in a time when we had FULL EMPLOYMENT - soemthing we dont have now.

Seasonally adjusted it was 4.7% in 2006 and 4.5% in 2007 today it is 5% in a much more strained economy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print