Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another 170 Permanent Australian Jobs To Go. (Read 1755 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Another 170 Permanent Australian Jobs To Go.
Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:42pm

HE closure of two tissue machines at Kimberly-Clark's Millicent mill will devastate the South East, says the State Opposition.

Following a strategic global business review of its pulp and tissue assets Kimberly-Clark Australia (KCA) announced yesterday the closure of the two oldest tissue machines at the Millicent mill.

The closure will mean the loss of an estimated 170 permanent jobs at the Millicent mill as the machines cease production by May 2011.

Local Liberal MP Mitch Williams says Kimberly-Clark directly and indirectly employs about 1500 people in the region.

"Closing the mill will devastate our community," he said today.

Another 65 jobs are under threat if Kimberly-Clark cannot sell the pulp mill within 12 months and is forced to close there as the removal of anti-dumping charges hits the Australian timber and paper industry, he said.

Anti-dumping charges had previously been imposed on China and Indonesia to prevent international companies from dumping tissue and toilet paper on the Australian market but these charges were removed in January 2010.

Mr Williams said the South Australian government had done little to push for a reversal of the decision on behalf of the SA timber industry.

"Premier Mike Rann has failed to act on this issue and seems busy focussing on the forward sale of the state's forests rather than protecting jobs in the region," he said.

Mr Rann said the move was a real blow, not only for the workers but for the Millicent and wider south east community.

But he said nothing could have been done by the federal or state governments to prevent this decision by KCA's US parent because it was part of Kimberly-Clark's global restructuring to ensure long-term viability.

SA has reached an agreement with the federal government to establish a new $17 million Innovation Investment Fund targeting the affected south east region.

As the region reeled yesterday from Kimberly Clark's decision to cut the Millicent jobs and sell the Tantanoola pulp mill, community leaders urged the Government to restore business confidence by cancelling plans to sell timber assets.

Wattle Range Mayor Peter Gandolfi said the closure may have a domino effect on the town.

President of Millicent sub branch of the Forestry Union, Trevor Sinclair, said: "The Government has added a dimension of uncertainty in the business environment with its forward selling proposal. We are not going to attract capital nor business and new jobs with that uncertainty."

Kimberly Clark, one of the region's largest employers, blamed the high Aussie dollar, ageing assets and global competition for the closure of the two tissue machines. Another 65 jobs will go if it is unable to sell the mill supplying the machines.

The company also said the dumping of cheap Asian product had made "a level playing field" almost impossible to achieve.

"The point has been reached where these machines can no longer economically produce the quality of products demanded by today's Australian consumers," South Asia family care division vice president Milo Foster said.

Senator Nick Xenophon said the closure should prompt a review of the Federal government's free trade policies.

"There is no doubt Kimberly Clark would be in a much stronger position and could have avoided job losses if it wasn't for the dumping of overseas tissue paper below cost," he said.

He also said the State Government should rethink its timber policy, which has sparked protests across the South East.

"The forward selling of contracts now would be an even more reckless thing to do."

Mr Rann said yesterday he had been informed "nothing could have been done by the federal or state government to prevent this decision".

Owner of the Pines Hotel in Tarpeena Lynton Cram said the news was "devastating" for the region.

"The whole town completely revolves around the timber industry," he said.

Comments on this story

Damo of Adelaide Posted at 2:27 PM Today

Nissan Aust manufacturing left under Hawke, Mitshubishi under Rudd and sounds like under Gillard Ford is the next company to leave our shores, with the Falcon likely to be turned into a AWD manufactured overseas. Its all well and good labor boasting looking after employees pay and conditions but if there is no one employed because we have been too busy lapping up cheap Asian imports being made by employees making $1 hour rather than paying more to support local employee then....

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Another 170 Permanent Australian Jobs To Go.
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:22pm

Oh well! like we said before, they've got the pick of thousands of jobs.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:16pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:22pm:

well and those that work for the Grand Prix will soon be joining them much to crooks delight.. not sure why Kleenex tissue workers are more import but they seem to be..

I believe gillard was boasting about creating 120.000 jobs.. so she could conjure up a few more I am sure.. would think there will be a few jobs going in Qld shortly

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 7:01pm

cods wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:16pm:
Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:22pm:

well and those that work for the Grand Prix will soon be joining them much to crooks delight.. not sure why Kleenex tissue workers are more import but they seem to be..

I believe gillard was boasting about creating 120.000 jobs.. so she could conjure up a few more I am sure.. would think there will be a few jobs going in Qld shortly

yeah Anna Bligh created 70,000 lol

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm

Quote:
         Nissan Aust manufacturing left under Hawke, Mitshubishi under Rudd and sounds like under Gillard Ford is the next company to leave our shores, with the Falcon likely to be turned into a AWD manufactured overseas. Its all well and good labor boasting looking after employees pay and conditions but if there is no one employed because we have been too busy lapping up cheap Asian imports being made by employees making $1 hour rather than paying more to support local employee then....

then.... The answer is simple. Increase our migrant intake to 500,000. And be quick about it. Migrants create jobs. Mind you, if a person can spell the word 'job' he or she is classified as being in fulltime employment. And increase the refugee intake. Just last weekend I passed many signs that read "Goat Herders Wanted - apply within".

Our clever pollies have all the answers.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:13am

THE toughest question facing Kimberly-Clark workers in Millicent is will they have a job come May?

Brothers Jeremy and Craig Hales, who work as technicians for the paper products manufacturer, both have young families and a mortgage, and both are worried they may be among the 170 workers to be made redundant because they have only been employed with the company for a few years.

"I've only been there four years so there's a fair possibility I'm going to end up losing my job there which means I may end up losing my house,'' said Craig, 29, who said that with no other trade skills he may have to consider leaving the town he had known all his life to find work.

"Jeremy's been there longer (seven years) so it's probably not as hard up for him but you never know, there's a lot of jobs going so it could affect both of us. We don't know."

On Tuesday, the company announced it would shut two tissue machines in May and shed 170 jobs from its 540-strong workforce, citing the rising dollar and competition from "dumped product'' from overseas.   Sad

Its adjacent Tantanoola Pulp Mill, which employs 65 people will also close if a buyer cannot be found.   Sad

Another worker, who did not want to be named, said many workers blamed the Federal Government for allowing cheap imports.   Wink

Jeremy Hale said workers had seen the writing on the wall when the company started scaling back shifts, but workers had still been shocked by the size of the job cut.

"The uncertainty is the worst bit," the-30-year-old, whose wife is expecting their third child, said.

"What happens if I get put off? Where are you going to find another job without a trade?''   Sad

Mayor Peter Gandolfi said he was seeking a meeting with Premier Mike Rann next week to discuss building a new value-added industry in the area, and urged workers not to give up on Millicent.

"What we've got to do is look at opportunities,'' he said.

"If we dwell on what has been announced, it won't benefit the community and it could exacerbate the problem.''

He said the job losses would have a multiplier affect on the town's other businesses and contractors.

"For every job lost out there, we will see a job lost somewhere else,'' Mr Gandolfi said.

"Retraining programs are fine but we want to find jobs for them once they've been trained.''

The CFMEU will meet with the company tomorrow to discuss the job losses. Voluntary redundancies will be offered first.

Trevor Sinclair, a Kimberly-Clark employee and the president of union's pulp and paper division, Millicent sub-branch, said there was absolute silence in the company auditorium when the announcement was made.

"It's massive for us ... it was a shock. There were a lot of upset people,'' he said.

"People knew something had to happen,'' he said, because machines had been regularly shut down last year due to a lack of demand but ``people were living in hope that orders would pick up''.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:20am

I believe a lot of this is caused by what is know as - FREE TRADE, and CHEAP LABOUR.  And the previous Howard Liberal government, are just as GUILTY.   Sad

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:37am

<<"What happens if I get put off? Where are you going to find another job without a trade?'' >>

no no no. There's jobs for everybody, millions of jobs. There's thousands of jobs in my regional town, people are knocking on doors asking for workers, those 5,000 unemployed are just lazy, they don't want work.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:44am

Yes that's right pansi, and Captain Kirk is up there in outer space, in the star ship Enterprise making the place safe for us.

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:47am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:37am:
<<"What happens if I get put off? Where are you going to find another job without a trade?'' >>

no no no. There's jobs for everybody, millions of jobs. There's thousands of jobs in my regional town, people are knocking on doors asking for workers, those 5,000 unemployed are just lazy, they don't want work.

What regional town is that pansi ?

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:02am

FRED. wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:47am:

No fred do not come here looking for a job, there are NONE. I was only reiterating what the government are saying. If the truth be known, there are actually ZERO jobs available, but don't tell Julia.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:15am

Quote:
I believe a lot of this is caused by what is know as - FREE TRADE, and CHEAP LABOUR.  And the previous Howard Liberal government, are just as GUILTY.   Sad    

Howards been gone for some time precious, this is purely a screw up by the SA ALP.

As much as you would like, you cant always blame the Liberals.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:20am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:02am:

No fred do not come here looking for a job, there are NONE. I was only reiterating what the government are saying. If the truth be known, there are actually ZERO jobs available, but don't tell Julia.

I dont need a job pansi I am employed. But i just wonder what town  Wink

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:13am

FRED. wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:20am:
Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:02am:

I dont need a job pansi I am employed. But i just wonder what town  Wink

Pick one. They're all the same, high unemployment and no vacancies.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:33am

Of course one can always look up  the many phantom jobs, that are on offer at the useless job networks.   Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print