Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could Be An Increase In The Medicare Levy. (Read 570 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Could Be An Increase In The Medicare Levy.
Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:38am

A $5-a-week levy to pay for flood reconstruction is a "dumb idea" when Australians are already struggling with flood-related price rises, the Coalition says.

Opposition treasury spokesman Joe Hockey said it was “absurd” for Julia Gillard to ask Australians to donate to Queensland Premier Anna Bligh's flood relief fund and then impose a $3.5 billion new tax.

“What's even worse is that flood victims will have to pay this levy, they have been affected by the floods and then they are now going to have to pay the levy.”

The Prime Minister is expected to announce a 0.5 per cent increase in the 1.5 per cent Medicare levy at the National Press Club tomorrow.

The move would cost average earners an estimated $5 a week, raising about $3.5 billion in 12 months to rebuild damaged infrastructure such as roads, bridges, rail lines and community amenities.

Comments on this story

Torchbearer of Smithfield Posted at 10:27 AM Today

This exceptional natural disaster, the most expensive in our history, means we all have to pay a bit extra for a couple of years to get Queensland and Victoria up and running again. No need for outrage, no Labor conspiracy.

Comment
     BJ of Melbourne Posted at 10:33 AM Today

How much money does Australia give as 'foreign aid' or whatever the term might be every year? Might not some this money be redirected to Australians in need in times of catastrophe?

Comment
     Rosie of Northern New South Wales Posted at 10:35 AM Today

Mr Hockey - you are so wrong. It is a very fair suggestion for Australians to help their fellow Australians - don't you get it??????? I am on a Widows Allowance (after your Government cancelled the Widows Pension) which is the equivalent of the dole but I would be happy to contribute $5 a week - have you not really seen how badly Queensland's roads, bridges, parks and railway lines have been damaged on a huge scale. Where is your compassion?

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Could Be An Increase In The Medicare Levy.
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:41am

Very good then Mr Hockey, but how about you have a go and spell out what you would do.   Sad

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:47am

You could put the NBN off for just one year and the problem is solved. You could end the BER and the problem is solved. There are endless alternatives to yet another levy/tax.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:36am

$3.5 Billion in another tax.

I thought Gillard and Swan both said this wont stop the ALP from bringing the budget back to surplus.  No wonder, they are introducing another tax on us.

So imcrook, next time you hear about increases here and there, thank your ALP mates for this one.  Considering they have raised a fortune out of increase ciggies taxes and introduced the alchopops tax yet have done nothing with that extra money, how about diverting that there for a start.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:02am

SERIOUSLY,
what a pack of
HYPOCRITES

Ansett levy
Timor levy
Gun levy
Sugar industry restructure levy
Ditto, milk industry

I believe the Howard Government had at least NINE separate
"BIG NEW TAXES"
during its eleven year tenure - EVERY time they overcommited

They were, compared to previous governments, ....

"LEVY JUNKIES"

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:07am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:02am:
SERIOUSLY,
what a pack of
HYPOCRITES

Ansett levy
Timor levy
Gun levy
Sugar industry restructure levy
Ditto, milk industry

I believe the Howard Government had at least NINE separate
"BIG NEW TAXES"
during its eleven year tenure - EVERY time they overcommited

They were, compared to previous governments, ....

"LEVY JUNKIES"

But its different when the Libs do it,buzz, dontcha know?
I nearly feel off my chair when I heard Costello say yesterday there was no need for a levy as Australia is in such a prosperous position, were we not in a prosperous position when he was treasurer and he introduced was it 6 ,7 or even 9 levies?  hypocrite.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 12:40pm

That'll teach people to hold off on donations until they find out how much they'll be forced to donate.

I'm sure that warm and fuzzy feeling of helping out those greedy pricks who cried foul at the mining tax will still be there when I next do my tax return won't it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print