Send Topic Print
The King's Speech (Read 464 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

The King's Speech
Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:05pm

Caught up with this movie last week.
What a marvellous film. Obviously. Wouldn't be getting all those nominations otherwise, although there is a fair bit of American trash gets nominated too.
Firth brilliant. Rush brilliant. Bonham-Carter great.
And it's a good positive plug for the institution of monarchy too, which makes it all the more appealing to me.
But what prompts me to write this is I hear there is a movement among the in-crowd in the USA to shut it out from winning any oscars BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT A NAZI-LOVING KING!
The brain-dead continue to flourish and breed in Americky! Don't these over-fed, insular cretins know they are talking about the wrong King?
Edward VIII is who they mean, not George VI. And they would even have that wrong. He minght have visited Nazi Germany after he abdicated and met Herr Hitler and his chocolate soldiers but he by no means supported the regime.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The King's Speech
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:41pm

The academy awards have become a Hollywood self-congratulation affair. It's been several years since foreign movies and actors got a look in as they were cleaning up at the awards and embarassing the local industry.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:37pm

The King’s Speech: a good movie that won’t save the monarchy

Barry Everingham
24 December, 2010

You could be excused for thinking this excellent film would rejuvenate the moribund monarchy.

Not so, sorry lads.  All it does, I’m happy to say, is illustrate the dysfunction of the royal family of the day and explain why the current members behave the way they do.

It has to be remembered that George V was the grandson of Queen Victoria, who married her first cousin, Albert. George was a cousin a few times removed of his wife, Mary, who was a granddaughter of George III. Such serious inbreeding would never have been permitted in animal genetics. It has to be remembered that Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip are both descendants of Victoria and Albert, and are cousins a few times over on various removes.

William and Harry are lucky boys that Charles married Diana – she was distantly related to him through common ancestors several hundred years ago – and William is bringing a “commoner” into the gene pool; there might be hope for future generations of royals.

Thankfully, by then, Australia will be rid of them for good

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2010/republic/the-kings-speech-a-good-movie-...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:38am

Buzz,  the movie is about King George VI not George V.    George the VI and his Queen were  both respected and loved by the people and most deservedly so, as unlike many of the "dignitaries" at that time they stayed in London with their people despite the palace being bombed.  

"The completely divergent opinions of Hitler between the two kings—one former, one present—is astonishing. While George saw Hitler’s Germany as an aggressor nation with whom England could not at that time discuss peace, Edward continued to admire not only Germany, but its Fuhrer as well. In the face of what was happening to Germany’s neighbors—and to his own country—it is puzzling that Edward had not changed his opinion of Adolf Hitler, an opinion that could have been very dangerous if held by the King of England. George VI, on the other hand, recognized the danger posed by Hitler and was determined to stand against him. He turned his full attention to the dire situation in Britain: the war, the blitz, and the morale of his subjects. Britain was under siege. German bombers raided nightly, destroying entire blocks of major cities. Rationing was in full effect. Shortages of sugar, butter, meat, coffee, tea—all the staples of life—made everyday cooking difficult. Clothing was rationed. Gasoline was almost impossible to come by. Even coal for stoves was not readily available. Every day, the citizens of Britain became a bit more threadbare, a bit hungrier, and a bit colder.

Families made brave, but heartbreaking, decisions to evacuate their children to places in the country where they might be safer from the nightly bombings. The British had two sources of inspiration to carry them through these dark days. They had a prime minister—Winston Churchill—whose words filled them with resolve, and they had a king—George VI—whose actions inspired them all to endure and prevail.

George, a man who had lived his life in the shadow of his glamorous and popular brother, now stepped out into the light and began to shine as an inspiration to his people. George and his wife were devoted to each other and to their country. The British people knew that their king and queen could have fled to safety, as so many others in their position could—and would—have done. But they stayed in London, living each day side-by-side with their countrymen. During the six years that Britain fought against the German war machine, the king and queen stayed with their people. They shared all the ordeals that their subjects endured. Their food and clothing were rationed, and even though their home was Buckingham Palace, they spent many nights underground in the air raid shelter. They even experienced the bombing of their home and they used this experience to bond them even more closely to their subjects "

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:12am

Quote:
Buzz,  the movie is about King George VI not George V.

The reviewer never claimed OTHERWISE
Read the FULL article
It highlights the pitfalls of interbreeding in the history of the British monarchy

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:07pm

Of course, the movie is about the king's stutter, which I don't think even you, buzz, would put down to genetics. It was obvious even in the film that the stutter was induced by the dictatorial attitude of the father, although his child rearing ideas would not have been uncommon for the day or sadly even now.
An interesting aspect of the story is, or it seems to me, that only an irreverent Australian could have had the success that the Rush character did.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:16pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:07pm:
Of course, the movie is about the king's stutter, which I don't think even you, buzz, would put down to genetics. It was obvious even in the film that the stutter was induced by the dictatorial attitude of the father, although his child rearing ideas would not have been uncommon for the day or sadly even now.
An interesting aspect of the story is, or it seems to me, that only an irreverent Australian could have had the success that the Rush character did.

GENETICS  does that cause queers  Grin

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print