Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Australian Housing Now Severely Unaffordable. (Read 3882 times)
Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australian Housing Now Severely Unaffordable.
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:17pm

Expect the property gurus, spruikers and mainstream press to keep banging on about the resilience of the Aussie housing market… right until it crashes around their ankles.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:13pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Expect the property gurus, spruikers and mainstream press to keep banging on about the resilience of the Aussie housing market… right until it crashes around their ankles.

And here is an even bigger idiot who has been predicting a 75% crash for many years. You dont even have the decency to admit you are wrong.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:46pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:13pm:

And here is an even bigger idiot who has been predicting a 75% crash for many years. You dont even have the decency to admit you are wrong.

I would have been right if the government hadn't have given the first home owners grant, and bailed out the failed banks.

No grant now and no money left for bank bailouts. Lets see what happens when there's no intervention to prop up the failing real estate market.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:47pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 1:00pm:
Youve been predicting a 40-75% price crash for years now and youve been totally wrong. No reason to expect you wil be right now either. There have been many examples of property prices falling over the last 50 years. it is hardly news. 2011 will probably see a levelling or slight drop in prices. so what? hardly earth shattering or even new!  But the ugliest thing about you is that you are truly HOPING for such a crash despite knowing the havoc that would cause in the economy as it did in the USA.

and in the meantime, prices rise and you rent.

hey dipstick I never stated what time frame so again your dumb argument is flawed. Give it another 12 months without government handouts and intervention and the real estate parasites will be begging  anyone to buy their overpriced sh.t Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:52pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:46pm:

I would have been right if the government hadn't have given the first home owners grant, and bailed out the failed banks.

No grant now and no money left for bank bailouts. Lets see what happens when there's no intervention to prop up the failing real estate market.

nobody bailed out the banks. our banks were rock solid or did you miss that? the FHG had a moderate impact but if you think about it (yeah right!!!) the FHG doesnt apply to subsequent purchases which stil form the significant majority of the market. you fail to realise - and accept - the significant difference between the australian and USA market. their home values crashed as a result of a failing ecnomy, astonishingly bad lending practices and the flow on affect of bank colapes. none of these things apply here.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:54pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:47pm:
Youve been predicting a 40-75% price crash for years now and youve been totally wrong. No reason to expect you wil be right now either. There have been many examples of property prices falling over the last 50 years. it is hardly news. 2011 will probably see a levelling or slight drop in prices. so what? hardly earth shattering or even new!  But the ugliest thing about you is that you are truly HOPING for such a crash despite knowing the havoc that would cause in the economy as it did in the USA.

hey dipstick I never stated what time frame so again your dumb argument is flawed. Give it another 12 months without government handouts and intervention and the real estate parasites will be begging  anyone to buy their overpriced sh.t Wink

A Prediction without a timeframe is pretty pointless. and you are STILL renting because you are waiting for the price crash even though in the meantime, prices have risen 40%!!!

not one of your better decisions...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:59pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
Youve been predicting a 40-75% price crash for years now and youve been totally wrong. No reason to expect you wil be right now either. There have been many examples of property prices falling over the last 50 years. it is hardly news. 2011 will probably see a levelling or slight drop in prices. so what? hardly earth shattering or even new!  But the ugliest thing about you is that you are truly HOPING for such a crash despite knowing the havoc that would cause in the economy as it did in the USA.

hey dipstick I never stated what time frame so again your dumb argument is flawed. Give it another 12 months without government handouts and intervention and the real estate parasites will be begging  anyone to buy their overpriced sh.t Wink

A Prediction without a timeframe is pretty pointless. and you are STILL renting because you are waiting for the price crash even though in the meantime, prices have risen 40%!!!

Likewise, saying that a prediction was incorrect without specifying a time frame is pretty disingenuous on your part isn't it !

And I'm glad I am still renting and not one of the gullible lemmings that took your crapola financial advice and bought at the top of the bubble Wink

There is an old saying. Free financial advice is worth what you pay for it Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:33pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:24pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:52pm:

nobody bailed out the banks. our banks were rock solid or did you miss that? the FHG had a moderate impact but if you think about it (yeah right!!!) the FHG doesnt apply to subsequent purchases which stil form the significant majority of the market. you fail to realise - and accept - the significant difference between the australian and USA market. their home values crashed as a result of a failing ecnomy, astonishingly bad lending practices and the flow on affect of bank colapes. none of these things apply here.

Then I bet you didn't know about the NAB and Westpac's Secret Bailout from the federal reserve did you ?? What did they need the multi billion dollar bailouts at the time of the GFC when many other foreign banks that were in trouble also needed bailouts from the federal reserve ?? And why the Government guarantees on depositors money ?? That should be ringing the alarm bells !!

You should watch this idiot because you are just like the ignorant belligerent female fool in this cartoon. It's character fits you to a tee Wink

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:03pm by Sir lastnail »  

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 5:48am

nails....lw is like the economists in America, they didn't see the gfc coming, because they didn't want to. Or too scared of the consequences, so turned a blind eye.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:25am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:59pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
Youve been predicting a 40-75% price crash for years now and youve been totally wrong. No reason to expect you wil be right now either. There have been many examples of property prices falling over the last 50 years. it is hardly news. 2011 will probably see a levelling or slight drop in prices. so what? hardly earth shattering or even new!  But the ugliest thing about you is that you are truly HOPING for such a crash despite knowing the havoc that would cause in the economy as it did in the USA.

hey dipstick I never stated what time frame so again your dumb argument is flawed. Give it another 12 months without government handouts and intervention and the real estate parasites will be begging  anyone to buy their overpriced sh.t Wink

Likewise, saying that a prediction was incorrect without specifying a time frame is pretty disingenuous on your part isn't it !

And I'm glad I am still renting and not one of the gullible lemmings that took your crapola financial advice and bought at the top of the bubble Wink

There is an old saying. Free financial advice is worth what you pay for it Wink

If you'd taken my advice, the house you owned would now be worth 40% more than you paid for it. so even if houses crashed you'd STILL be better off! But instead, you avoided any committment and lost as a result.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:28am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:24pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:52pm:

Then I bet you didn't know about the NAB and Westpac's Secret Bailout from the federal reserve did you ?? What did they need the multi billion dollar bailouts at the time of the GFC when many other foreign banks that were in trouble also needed bailouts from the federal reserve ?? And why the Government guarantees on depositors money ?? That should be ringing the alarm bells !!

You should watch this idiot because you are just like the ignorant belligerent female fool in this cartoon. It's character fits you to a tee Wink

you are so easily sucked in!  the guarantee was to stop a run on the banks caused by panic from people just like you. no matter HOW healthy a bank is, a run will cause it to collapse.

But as the years go on, house prices rise and you fall further behind because you believe the crap you spruik.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:33am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 5:48am:
nails....lw is like the economists in America, they didn't see the gfc coming, because they didn't want to. Or too scared of the consequences, so turned a blind eye.

I saw it coming and so did most. But im not sure that you are so brilliant. After all, you've been predicting disaster on the home price front and the aussie economy in general for years now and still been wrong. You are just liek chicken little.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:29am

The truth is that over the past 20 years Sydney residential property prices as reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics have increased by a compounded rate of 5.2per cent per annum, which effectively means property prices double on average every 14 years.

That's right, folks, not seven years but 14 years.

Sure, there are times when the rate of growth will be more than this, when property might double within a seven-year period.

That certainly happened with Sydney real estate prices in the 1980s and between 1998 and 2003.

However, the periods when Sydney house prices were either flat or falling more than make up for the infrequent booms.

We can see this quite clearly when we consider the long term the very long term.

In 1890, the median house price in Sydney was £723. If property really does double every seven years then, in 2009, the average Sydney home would be worth $189,530,112.

Or working it back, halving Sydney's current median house price of $530,000 each seven years back to 1890, produces a ridiculous median house price of £3 which was the cost of a bicycle in those days.

As you can see, the seven-year claim (or even the 10-year claim) is ridiculous. It is just not backed by long-term or even relatively short-term historical evidence. However, there is a possible silver lining. Given that house prices in Sydney are now lower than they were in 2003, they are now more affordable and, importantly, have returned to the longer-term growth rate of nominal incomes and profits; which, in this country has also grown for the past 20 years at 5.2 per cent per annum.

http://theage.domain.com.au/beware-spruikers-on-house-prices-20100429-tuor.html

It's just not backed by long term evidence. I hate property spruikers, they'd rob their own grannie of her last dollar.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:36am

Unlicensed liars

Let’s take a closer look at these porky promises. Based on the spruikers calculations, my mate’s $300,000 apartment would be worth roughly $9.6 million in 35 years.

If property doubles every seven to 10 years like the salesmen said, there wouldn’t be enough money on this earth to pay for a one bedroom flat in the backblocks of Bendigo (see table).

The second statement that “property is a safe investment” and it “never goes down” is another furphy. Somehow a lack of transparency and liquidity in the property market is seen as a good thing for investors – apparently ignorance is bliss.

All assets fluctuate, it’s just that property investors only ever think about the price in detail when they decide to sell.

Besides, getting an impartial reading on the real estate market is hard. Leading Real Estate advocate Neil Jenman says that “the house price data provided by the REIV is often misleading – skewed towards talking up the market”.

DOUBLING UP
Property doubles every seven years? The value of a $300,000 apartment in the future:
2003 $300,000
2010 $600,000
2017 $1,200,000
2024 $2,400,000
2031 $4,800,000
2038 $9,600,000
2045 $18,200,000

http://www.barefootinvestor.com/property-doubles-every-7-to-10-years/

It's nice in theory, but it's just not backed up by evidence.

I'm telling you now, the house that I brought 30 years ago just isn't going to fetch $5 million lol

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:33am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:36am:
Unlicensed liars

Let’s take a closer look at these porky promises. Based on the spruikers calculations, my mate’s $300,000 apartment would be worth roughly $9.6 million in 35 years.

If property doubles every seven to 10 years like the salesmen said, there wouldn’t be enough money on this earth to pay for a one bedroom flat in the backblocks of Bendigo (see table).

The second statement that “property is a safe investment” and it “never goes down” is another furphy. Somehow a lack of transparency and liquidity in the property market is seen as a good thing for investors – apparently ignorance is bliss.

All assets fluctuate, it’s just that property investors only ever think about the price in detail when they decide to sell.

Besides, getting an impartial reading on the real estate market is hard. Leading Real Estate advocate Neil Jenman says that “the house price data provided by the REIV is often misleading – skewed towards talking up the market”.

DOUBLING UP
Property doubles every seven years? The value of a $300,000 apartment in the future:
2003 $300,000
2010 $600,000
2017 $1,200,000
2024 $2,400,000
2031 $4,800,000
2038 $9,600,000
2045 $18,200,000

http://www.barefootinvestor.com/property-doubles-every-7-to-10-years/

It's nice in theory, but it's just not backed up by evidence.

I'm telling you now, the house that I brought 30 years ago just isn't going to fetch $5 million lol

I think the stat gets blown out of proportion by things like waterfront (touchy subject at the moment I know).

We used to holiday in a place called Mulwala.  20 years ago you could buy a block of land on the water for about $85k.

Now you wont get one under $800k.

The same proportionate growth hasnt occurred over the rest of the town.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print