flood damaged houses (Read 1145 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
flood damaged houses
Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:20am

What happens to flood damaged houses?

I expect the old raised queenslanders would just get hosed out and the gyprock and other intenral fixtures replaced - would still cost a small fortune.

What about the newer style houses, especially the ones on a slab? I think they are mostly pine timber framed. I heard that if they go under for over 24 hours you might as well bulldoze them.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: flood damaged houses
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:47am

I would have thought most of the newer houses would be steel framed.

They would have to recycle whatever they could because of the State's loss of revenue and there would be some difficulty in accessing new materials in the quantities they'll obviously need.

The financial impact is going to be massive with one state nearly wiped out. Although the other states will all contribute to the rebuilding of Queensland - there will be hard times ahead for Australia.

IP Logged

beware
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:50am

Sorry....did not go back to check earlier posts.....

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 11:24am

It would be impossible to check earlier posts Beware - there are so many. A lot of the threads on various topics are scattered everywhere.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 1:23pm

mantra wrote on Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:47am:
I would have thought most of the newer houses would be steel framed.

They would have to recycle whatever they could because of the State's loss of revenue and there would be some difficulty in accessing new materials in the quantities they'll obviously need.

The financial impact is going to be massive with one state nearly wiped out. Although the other states will all contribute to the rebuilding of Queensland - there will be hard times ahead for Australia.  

Surprisingly, very few project homes are built with steel frames these days, personally I can't see why you would build a timber framed home.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 7:34pm

Maybe once everything else rots, having a few steel beams in the walls doesn't make much difference.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:03pm

The older Queenslanders could probably be saved, as was mentioned, hose out underneath and alls well. The newer houses though, just scrap the lot and re-use the slab providing the water had not made it unstable.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:31pm

Just on the steel framed homes issues, there is a few things.  Timber is faster to build with and the frames dont need to be prefabricated in a factory.

Any changes to the home mid build is easier to do and any alerations in general is easier.

Timber is also not as volitile in pricing, and things like fixing the plasterboard is also easier with the timber.

There is also the old banging a nail in the wall for a photo thing is also easier with timber.

Also, when anything is built with steel it must be certifed by a structural engineer, where with timber there is no need for one.  That alone is a couple of grand on the project.

Timber is also far easier for fixing out as well.

Steel sounds good in theory, but in practice the requirement for precision can make it a small nightmare.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 10:42pm

Quote:
I heard that if they go under for over 24 hours you might as well bulldoze them.

Untrue. There are thousands of dwellings about that have been flood affected at least once - many of them several times - especially in NSW.

In an area affected by severe flood, the number of dwellings that need to be demolished and rebuilt is extremely small and they're usually the ones who have sustained structural damage from objects hitting them or from erosion around the foundations - not from simply being submerged.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2011 at 5:24am by Life_goes_on »  

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 6:44am

<<There are thousands of dwellings about that have been flood affected at least once>>

That seems to be the case. The old houses that were flooded in my area were built by the convicts.....ok, not quite. There is pictorial evidence at the library of these same houses that were almost submerged on at least one occasion, maybe even twice. It seems they just get a bit warped with each soaking.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print