Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
50,000 Complaints About Waranties And Faulty Goods (Read 1717 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

50,000 Complaints About Waranties And Faulty Goods
Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:15pm

Retail law a boon to consumers

Shoppers should find it easier to return faulty goods bought at sales this year after changes to consumer laws came into effect on January 1.   Smiley

The Australian Consumer Law - a new national law that replaces individual state consumer legislation - is geared to provide greater protection for buyers when products are faulty, break or don't fulfil their stated purpose.

Among the biggest reforms for Victorians is the right to insist that a retailer resolve a problem with a product, rather than referring the customer to the manufacturer, and protection against multiple pricing practices. Under the changes, if a product has two price tags the retailer must sell it at the lower price or withdraw it from sale.   Smiley

The legislation makes clear consumer rights relating to the return of sale items. Goods purchased on sale that prove to be faulty are protected by the same guarantees as full-price items.

Spokesman for consumer group Choice, Christopher Zinn, said confusion around faults and warranties generated more complaints than almost any other area of consumer law and was estimated to cost Australians $12 billion annually.   Sad   Shocked

In the past year, Consumer Affairs Victoria received more than 28,000 complaints about warranties and faulty goods.   Shocked  

Australian Retail Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said retailers would no longer get away with putting up a sign saying they do not offer refunds on sale goods. ''That is quite illegal,'' he said.

''If somebody comes in and they buy something on sale and then changes their mind, the retailer has the right to say 'I'm sorry I don't have to do anything for you', but if it is faulty [consumers] have exactly the same rights as if it was full price.''

Consumer groups have said the new national law does not go far enough. Consumer Action Law Centre policy officer Nicole Rich said much of the new law was simply a re-writing of existing state legislation and would do little to increase trader compliance. Many of the law's provisions were modelled on protections available under the Victorian Fair Trade Act.   Sad

But Mr Zinn said he hoped the new system would improve consumers' and retailers' understanding of what their rights and responsibilities were.

''Education needs to take place; there has been a hundred years of confusion.''

Nationally, about 50,000 complaints about warranties are lodged with consumer agencies each year, one-third of which are about white goods, electronics and mobile phones.   Shocked

''Before we had statutory warranties and then there were manufacturers' warranties, and there was confusion about what warranties meant. From January 1, all things are covered by a consumer guarantee,'' Mr Zinn said.

The Australian Retail Association said early January was the busiest time of year for product returns and exchanges.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 50,000 Complaints About Waranties And Faulty Goods
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:42pm

I have never ever had trouble returning anything in all my years.. not just recently.I personally think we are over protected..I heard of someone once who actually admitted dropping something and then taking it back a claiming thats what it was like when they opened it..dont tell me its all one way.I also new of someone who wore something they bought it for a special date.. and then had the hide to take it back to the shop. labels carefully attached and get a refund.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:34pm

codswal wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:42pm:
I have never ever had trouble returning anything in all my years.. not just recently.I personally think we are over protected..I heard of someone once who actually admitted dropping something and then taking it back a claiming thats what it was like when they opened it..dont tell me its all one way.I also new of someone who wore something they bought it for a special date.. and then had the hide to take it back to the shop. labels carefully attached and get a refund.

I couldnt tell you of anyone who has had a LEGITIMATE warranty claim rejected. There are people who want warranty repair or replacement on 5 year old appliances!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:39pm

That's grose. People do it all the time, even underwear believe it or not and one of the shop assistants working in refunds discretely smelt it, I cracked up laughing......how revolting.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:42pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:34pm:

I couldnt tell you of anyone who has had a LEGITIMATE warranty claim rejected. There are people who want warranty repair or replacement on 5 year old appliances!

And rightly so, if they have a 5 year warranty.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:39pm:
[quote author=1294978541/0#1 date=1294980127] I have never ever had trouble returning anything in all my years.. not just recently.I personally think we are over protected..I heard of someone once who actually admitted dropping something and then taking it back a claiming thats what it was like when they opened it..dont tell me its all one way.I also new of someone who wore something they bought it for a special date.. and then had the hide to take it back to the shop. labels carefully attached and get a refund.

That's grose. People do it all the time, even underwear believe it or not and one of the shop assistants working in refunds discretely smelt it, I cracked up laughing......how revolting.

[/quote]

ugh how bad is that...we wouldnt know the half of it.. when are the retailers going to get a law to protect them..fancy handling someones underwear thats been worn.. maybe their should be a no refund on some items.. sorry crook.. but why should I risk buying undies that have been worn and taken back for a refund because of some legislation..

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:52pm

Well did anyone see that old couple on Today Tonight that got ripped off buying 2nd hand Winner Baggo mobile home that broke a timing belt and stuffed up the engine. Guess what ?? The so called BS 5 year extended warranty wouldn't cover it Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:52pm

codswal wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:48pm:
[quote author=1294978541/0#1 date=1294980127] I have never ever had trouble returning anything in all my years.. not just recently.I personally think we are over protected..I heard of someone once who actually admitted dropping something and then taking it back a claiming thats what it was like when they opened it..dont tell me its all one way.I also new of someone who wore something they bought it for a special date.. and then had the hide to take it back to the shop. labels carefully attached and get a refund.

ugh how bad is that...we wouldnt know the half of it.. when are the retailers going to get a law to protect them..fancy handling someones underwear thats been worn.. maybe their should be a no refund on some items.. sorry crook.. but why should I risk buying undies that have been worn and taken back for a refund because of some legislation.. [/quote]

another reason to buy online Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:54pm

ugh how bad is that...we wouldnt know the half of it.. when are the retailers going to get a law to protect them..fancy handling someones underwear thats been worn.. maybe their should be a no refund on some items.. sorry crook.. but why should I risk buying undies that have been worn and taken back for a refund because of some legislation.. [/quote]

Don't worry too much about it cods...if there is ANY doubt, it's written off for the insurance or tax breaks...
Most of the stuff 'returned' never makes it back to the shelves

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:01pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:52pm:
Well did anyone see that old couple on Today Tonight that got ripped off buying 2nd hand Winner Baggo mobile home that broke a timing belt and stuffed up the engine. Guess what ?? The so called BS 5 year extended warranty wouldn't cover it Sad

International business man BULLSH!T.

It's Winnebago idiot.

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:04pm

The trouble for me is NOT in the returning of goods.  More so  in all the waiting time and the extra run around YOU as a customer has to do to get it repaired.
Cheap goods from stores Like Kmart and no trouble at all. BUT white goods and mobiles are a pain in the @ss.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:12pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:42pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:34pm:

And rightly so, if they have a 5 year warranty.

a person with a BRAIN would have understood I was referring to appliances with a less than 5 yr warranty which just as amatter of information is virtually EVERYTHING. But then again it is the shopassitant who only looks clever if standing next to vegy - the resident dumbest poster.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:14pm

You cannot return underwear for what must be pretty obvious reasons.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:15pm

whatsforme wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:01pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:52pm:

International business man BULLSH!T.

It's Winnebago idiot.

Like this crazy loser would ever get anywhere near a vehicle that expensive!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:16pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:14pm:

ugh how bad is that...we wouldnt know the half of it.. when are the retailers going to get a law to protect them..fancy handling someones underwear thats been worn.. maybe their should be a no refund on some items.. sorry crook.. but why should I risk buying undies that have been worn and taken back for a refund because of some legislation..

You cannot return underwear for what must be pretty obvious reasons. [/quote]

Don't panic about it...clothing is almost NEVER recycled, or resold...
For just the very reasons you have mentioned...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print