Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brisbane and Bremer River flooding history (Read 2484 times)
salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane and Bremer River flooding history
Jan 13th, 2011 at 8:39pm

Quote:
Major Edmund Lockyer mentioned the evidence of a large flood while in the area of today's Mount Crosby pumping station - "marks of drift grass and pieces of wood washed up on the sides of the banks and up into the branches of the trees, marked the flood to rise here of one hundred feet". Lockyer's descendant, Nicholas Lockyer, in 1919 made the following remarks: "the official record of the flood level of the river on the 4th February 1893 at the Pumping Station, the site of which is within a mile of Lockyer's camp, was 94 feet 10.5 inches. His remarks would seem to suggest that between Oxley's visit in September 1824 and his [Major Edmund Lockyer] own in September 1825, the river had experienced a flood as great as that subsequently experienced in February 1893." (Ref 2)
http://www.brisbanefishing.com.au/tacklebox/river-history?tmpl=component&print=1&page=

How is it possible all those years ago for the river to be measured at 94 feet (28.6512 metres) when the necessary evils of coal burning, concrete and tar, large buildings, cloven hoofed animals expelling methane, and cars spewing dangerous gases into the atmosphere were absent?

Is it time for members of the Green Church to stop stabbing themselves in the eye? Nothing is to be gained by playing the lunatic.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Re: Brisbane and Bremer River flooding history
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:12am

Its good to see there are already engineers coming out with comments about the madness of Queenslands building and planning codes.
People simply cannot build in these areas as even small dry creeks can easily become raging torrents causing devastating floods with the subsequent human and financial costs.
The solutions are simple, always build on high ground well away from water courses and remember that if you build high levy banks in one place that the water will flood the lower lying areas with even more devastation.
Nature will always do what it does and if we build the same sort of housing in the areas that flooded we can expect to be doing this all over again, over and over.
A Queensland pollie said the other day "We will always remember the 2011 floods"
That sounds kinda stupid and empty when we consider it didnt take long to forget the 1974 floods and all the others in these areas since white settlement.
While I am writing this I am watching footage on ABC showing houses being flooded while just behind these houses is rolling hills, so why did these people build on the low side of a lake when they had high ground to build on only a few hundred metres behind them?

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:28am

adelcrow wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:12am:
Its good to see there are already engineers coming out with comments about the madness of Queenslands building and planning codes.
People simply cannot build in these areas as even small dry creeks can easily become raging torrents causing devastating floods with the subsequent human and financial costs.
The solutions are simple, always build on high ground well away from water courses and remember that if you build high levy banks in one place that the water will flood the lower lying areas with even more devastation.
Nature will always do what it does and if we build the same sort of housing in the areas that flooded we can expect to be doing this all over again, over and over.
A Queensland pollie said the other day "We will always remember the 2011 floods"
That sounds kinda stupid and empty when we consider it didnt take long to forget the 1974 floods and all the others in these areas since white settlement.
While I am writing this I am watching footage on ABC showing houses being flooded while just behind these houses is rolling hills, so why did these people build on the low side of a lake when they had high ground to build on only a few hundred metres behind them?

Well said adelcrow. Governments don't think long-term. They know that the next flood will be someone else's fault. They will build in the same spot because the owner of the land will not be able to offload it to some sucker any time soon, and the council will not re-purchase the land for rezoning....too costly. So, eventually people will forget about the big flood of 2011, real estate will continue on as usual until the next flood, then they will be saying exactly what we are saying now " why are councils allowing people to build on flood prone land?"

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:31am

Quote:
and the council will not re-purchase the land for rezoning....too costly

Can't they re-zone it first, then repurchase?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:37am

The solutions are simple, always build on high ground well away from water courses and remember that if you build high levy banks in one place that the water will flood the lower lying areas with even more devastation.Nature will always do what it does and if we build the same sort of housing in the areas that flooded we can expect to be doing this all over again, over and over.

Yes, sure adel.....But has it occurred to you that the reason our cities and towns are built along watercourses and around harbours is that 90+% of our international trade and commerce is by SHIP?????

And that almost all transport and communications, at the time these towns were originally built, was by river...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

whatsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:37am

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:31am:
Quote:

Somehow I don't think you have thought that through.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:38am

Simple matter of economics.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:42am

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:31am:
Quote:

They couldn't rezone it for residential use, so the land would be worth crap and the people who paid top dollar for their block would be outraged. I doubt any council would get away with it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:16am

I didn;t hear much outrage about the Q100 laws.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:28am

COUNCILLOR Paul Tully says it is a misconception that the council has allowed houses to be built in areas worst affected by the 1974 floods.

The council planning boss’ defence came after fellow councillor Trevor Nardi said 6000 Ipswich homes would be affected by a repeat of the notorious ’74 floods.

That compared with 1000 homes inundated in 1974, leading to claims by QT website readers that meant council had allowed building on flood-prone land.

Cr Tully refuted those claims, saying the council had not permitted subdivision or development of the worst flooding areas since 2002.

“Our standard is Q100, which is the state standard for development,” Cr Tully said.

“1974 was above a one in 100 flood, which means there is a one per cent chance of it happening in any given year. It could happen next month but it might not happen for another 200 years.

“If you have a block of land under Q100 you can’t subdivide but you can build one house on the block. That’s the same whether the block is 600sq m or 6000sq m.

“We allow that because we want to protect people’s interests; preserving people’s ownership rights.

“A lot of people saw the ’74 floods and said the council had let people build on land that was flooded but those places are above the Q100 level.

“I think we’re the toughest and the most reasonable at the same time. You can build one house on Q100 land and if it burns down you can rebuild but you can’t subdivide.

“We have people coming in all the time wanting to develop or sub-divide on Q100 flood areas and they are told they can’t.

“There are a few places you could point to but they would have had pre-existing approvals.”

Katie Peters said she and her husband Gavin bought their house in Sydney Street, Brassall knowing full-well it was in the Q100 zone.

The house they bought five years ago backs on to the Bremer River but Ms Peters said she was willing to live with the flood risk. “When we bought it we were told the water came right over the road in 1974,” she said.

“It worries me but if it happens, it happens. I wanted a place next to the river and I like the idea of having no neighbour at the back.”

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/10/28/council-refutes-claims-allowed-building-flood-land/

................................................................................

That house was most likely washed away the other day. Councils need to protect people from themselves. Greedy councils!

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:35am

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:16am:
I didn;t hear much outrage about the Q100 laws.

I'm sure you are aware they aren't retrospective, but do apply to any redevelopment applications including major renos.

It will be interesting to see how they are applied to redevelopments, since presumably building applications will need to be submitted for major structural repairs.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:37am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:28am:
COUNCILLOR Paul Tully says it is a misconception that the council has allowed houses to be built in areas worst affected by the 1974 floods.

The council planning boss’ defence came after fellow councillor Trevor Nardi said 6000 Ipswich homes would be affected by a repeat of the notorious ’74 floods.

That compared with 1000 homes inundated in 1974, leading to claims by QT website readers that meant council had allowed building on flood-prone land.

Cr Tully refuted those claims, saying the council had not permitted subdivision or development of the worst flooding areas since 2002.

“Our standard is Q100, which is the state standard for development,” Cr Tully said.

“1974 was above a one in 100 flood, which means there is a one per cent chance of it happening in any given year. It could happen next month but it might not happen for another 200 years.

“If you have a block of land under Q100 you can’t subdivide but you can build one house on the block. That’s the same whether the block is 600sq m or 6000sq m.

“We allow that because we want to protect people’s interests; preserving people’s ownership rights.

“A lot of people saw the ’74 floods and said the council had let people build on land that was flooded but those places are above the Q100 level.

“I think we’re the toughest and the most reasonable at the same time. You can build one house on Q100 land and if it burns down you can rebuild but you can’t subdivide.

“We have people coming in all the time wanting to develop or sub-divide on Q100 flood areas and they are told they can’t.

“There are a few places you could point to but they would have had pre-existing approvals.”

Katie Peters said she and her husband Gavin bought their house in Sydney Street, Brassall knowing full-well it was in the Q100 zone.

The house they bought five years ago backs on to the Bremer River but Ms Peters said she was willing to live with the flood risk. “When we bought it we were told the water came right over the road in 1974,” she said.

“It worries me but if it happens, it happens. I wanted a place next to the river and I like the idea of having no neighbour at the back.”

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/10/28/council-refutes-claims-allowed-building-flood-land/

................................................................................

That house was most likely washed away the other day. Councils need to protect people from themselves. Greedy councils!

Not too many houses were washed away in the Ipswich area, substantial inundation and structural damage would have likely occurred. 

Be interesting to see if Katie has appropriate insurance.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:12am

The Q100 level must take Wivenhoe into account if it is below the 1974 level. There were a few floods in the 1800s that went even higher.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:20am

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:12am:
The Q100 level must take Wivenhoe into account if it is below the 1974 level. There were a few floods in the 1800s that went even higher.

It appears wivenhoe has done it's job, in most areas (with worse weather conditions than 74) flood levels are lower than '74.  Let's hope for Brisbane's sake there is no more rain.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 1:34pm

qikvtec wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:20am:
It appears wivenhoe has done it's job, in most areas (with worse weather conditions than 74) flood levels are lower than '74.  

The Wivenhoe Dam was built after the 1974 floods to stop a repeat. I wonder how bad the floods would have been without the dam. This is from the seqwater website.

Quote:

Flood Mitigation
During a flood situation, Wivenhoe Dam is designed to hold back a further 1.45 million megalitres as well as its normal storage capacity of 1.15 million megalitres. Floods may still occur in the Ipswich and Brisbane areas but they will be rarer in occurrence. Wivenhoe’s flood control facility, together with the existing flood mitigation effect of Somerset Dam, will substantially reduce the heights of relatively small floods.

It is anticipated that during a large flood similar in magnitude to that experienced in 1974, by using mitigation facility within Wivenhoe Dam, flood levels will be reduced downstream by an estimated 2 metres.

Full supply level or 100 percent capacity (in the water level analysis) is indicative of the optimum level intended for town water supply, and does not take flood mitigation levels into account.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2011 at 1:41pm by The_Barnacle »  

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print