Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should There Be Needle Exchanges In Prison?

« Created by: ____ on: Jan 13th, 2011 at 12:47pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Pros & Cons Of A Needle Exchange In Prison (Read 1373 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
The Pros & Cons Of A Needle Exchange In Prison
Jan 13th, 2011 at 12:45pm

http://tinyurl.com/4gt4at4

In his letter to the editor of the Canberra Times, Stuart Loveday, President of Hepatitis Australia argued that corrections officers should be reassured by the evidence from overseas needle-exchange programs.

9min 35 audio

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: The Pros & Cons Of A Needle Exchange In Prison
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 12:47pm

Poll

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Woody, Have the Greens considered the effects of their policies on the coal mining industry?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:23pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:07pm:
Woody, Have the Greens considered the effects of their policies on the coal mining industry?

Yeah, Greens free dental policy will have massive effects on the coal industry. The workers will not have to dunk their biscuits in their cups of hot tea so there will be a decrease in workers burnt from splashing hot tea when biscuits collapse.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:56pm

the Maconochie Centre.Canberras very own prison..has only been opened a few months.. already just about full. and already full of drugs.

this is the most modern prison in the Southern Hem.. we have been told by a very proud Mr Stanhope..got every thing that opens and shut.. tennis courts. gym. swimming pool..state of the art as they say..I also know someone whos a resident in there.. and he lives in a house with about 4 others and they cook for themselves.. and basically apart from councelling thats about all they do.. however what escapes me how come they dont have state of the art equipement for stopping the drugs getting into places like this..

we are now expected to have our body xrayed before we leave the country on planes..so why not in the case of prison visitors..

the person I know in there is a drug addict.. so whats the point of all this money and help if its all around him.. which I am told by his mother is the case.this young man is almost 30 and a zombie. hardly speaks. and is interested in nothing..this is his second year and apart from putting weight there has been no change in him.. how depressing is that for his mum

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 3:53pm

codswal wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:56pm:
the Maconochie Centre.Canberras very own prison..has only been opened a few months.. already just about full. and already full of drugs.

this is the most modern prison in the Southern Hem.. we have been told by a very proud Mr Stanhope..got every thing that opens and shut.. tennis courts. gym. swimming pool..state of the art as they say..I also know someone whos a resident in there.. and he lives in a house with about 4 others and they cook for themselves.. and basically apart from councelling thats about all they do.. however what escapes me how come they dont have state of the art equipement for stopping the drugs getting into places like this..

we are now expected to have our body xrayed before we leave the country on planes..so why not in the case of prison visitors..

the person I know in there is a drug addict.. so whats the point of all this money and help if its all around him.. which I am told by his mother is the case.this young man is almost 30 and a zombie. hardly speaks. and is interested in nothing..this is his second year and apart from putting weight there has been no change in him.. how depressing is that for his mum

It's hard to use scanners etc to stop drugs going into prisons, when it's the workers that bring a lot of it in....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 4:08pm

codswal wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:56pm:

If I was homeless that doesn't sound like too bad an option.  WTF is wrong with our system that criminals get to endure this sort of luxury!

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 1:42am

Its a "cultural" thing.

We have been brought up with the "poor petty thief" been sent to Australia as a Convict for stealing a "loaf of bread".
Sure thats a "compassionate" crime that deserves a blind eye, let alone a luxury cell.

...but what we see of 'a metre given' is the 'mile taken' ...if not stolen, by serious Criminal Offenders.
Australia must hand over these Serious Offenders who take advantage of Australia's "compassionate" stance for the "petty" ...especially when feeding the kiddies, not a habit.
This is why Capital Punishment via the USA must be enforced here.
An Australian Judge must say "Sorry Mr Milat - but your crime is too serious for Australian Courts. You will be trialed via the USA Capital system as enforced by those two Texan Sherriffs walking through the doors even as I speak." 2 months later Milat is dead.  Smiley
This is why that American "exploited" the Australian Courts when he "murdered" his wife via a Diving Holiday. But luckily the USA courts know a naughty boy when they see one. Wink and are re-trialling him.

The HUMANITARIAN RIGHTS also give these Serious Offenders the luxuries they don't deserve and prevent Capital Punishment being sanctioned here.
Because what they don't understand is that by allowing Prisoners to have all the cons and luxeries in Prison, let alone lighter sentences - they are committing ABUSE against the Free Peoples who suffer at the hands of these Offenders.

I've had to live in Boarding Houses with less than what these Prisoners get and I had to pay for it.

I thought the essence of a true Prison was to limit as much stimulation as possible. The 'lack of' was what makes a prisoner appreciate 'life' a lot more.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 1:44am

Only Govt free Medics (those that don't work for a Govt directly - like the Public system) - should be the ones in charge of this issue of "Syringes in Prisons".
Of which I'm sure they would dissagree entirely.
Unlike the Govt who puts yellow bins in Public areas to say "Its socially acceptable to do drugs".
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:45am

____ wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:23pm:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:07pm:

Yeah, Greens free dental policy will have massive effects on the coal industry. The workers will not have to dunk their biscuits in their cups of hot tea so there will be a decrease in workers burnt from splashing hot tea when biscuits collapse.

Woody, it might be a huge joke to you, but this is actually a serious question, the outcome of which could destroy millions of lives.  Woody, you don`t seem to have any interest in the welfare of Australians.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 5:01pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 1:42am:
Its a "cultural" thing.

We have been brought up with the "poor petty thief" been sent to Australia as a Convict for stealing a "loaf of bread".
Sure thats a "compassionate" crime that deserves a blind eye, let alone a luxury cell.

...but what we see of 'a metre given' is the 'mile taken' ...if not stolen, by serious Criminal Offenders.
Australia must hand over these Serious Offenders who take advantage of Australia's "compassionate" stance for the "petty" ...especially when feeding the kiddies, not a habit.
This is why Capital Punishment via the USA must be enforced here.
An Australian Judge must say "Sorry Mr Milat - but your crime is too serious for Australian Courts. You will be trialed via the USA Capital system as enforced by those two Texan Sherriffs walking through the doors even as I speak." 2 months later Milat is dead.  Smiley
This is why that American "exploited" the Australian Courts when he "murdered" his wife via a Diving Holiday. But luckily the USA courts know a naughty boy when they see one. Wink and are re-trialling him.

The HUMANITARIAN RIGHTS also give these Serious Offenders the luxuries they don't deserve and prevent Capital Punishment being sanctioned here.
Because what they don't understand is that by allowing Prisoners to have all the cons and luxeries in Prison, let alone lighter sentences - they are committing ABUSE against the Free Peoples who suffer at the hands of these Offenders.

I've had to live in Boarding Houses with less than what these Prisoners get and I had to pay for it.

I thought the essence of a true Prison was to limit as much stimulation as possible. The 'lack of' was what makes a prisoner appreciate 'life' a lot more.

I worked in the warehouse side of the grocery industry.. during which we met all the company reps..and one told me.. A Yogurt making company.. was obliged to donate so much yogurt every day to the prison systems in NSW.they only got the best and freshest.now this was just one company.. so can you imagine what goes on.our aged people are left in appalling conditions at times.. and our disabled.. but not prisons..anything but those..

my son in law a copper had a guided tour of our prison he was gobsmacked.almost 5 star. now its over run by drugs.. amazing stuff.

if its the staff gizmo that are the cause how hard would it be to monitor them?? come on!.. cameras!!!!!

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 5:37pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 1:44am:
Only Govt free Medics (those that don't work for a Govt directly - like the Public system) - should be the ones in charge of this issue of "Syringes in Prisons".
Of which I'm sure they would dissagree entirely.
Unlike the Govt who puts yellow bins in Public areas to say "Its socially acceptable to do drugs".
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It's becoming more socially acceptable, with many teens these days preferring to pop some pills than a night on the piss.

Sharps bins are (as I'm sure you're aware) more of public health issue than anything else though, better to have a yellow bin than a yellow foot after stepping on a filthy sharp.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 7:29pm

Sydney and Melbourne are two good examples of "crime" as culture.
In Sydney - the Police tend to keep the "rich and powerful" honest, but they are at a loss when it comes to the poor level or street crime. Hence why you get 'riots' happening these last 20 years.

Melbourne cops tend to focus upon the street level, so all the poor people are well behaved ...but the 'rich' tend to be a bit more criminally active ...like Skase, Grollo, Pratt, Packer, Rivkin etc all making big $$$ under somewhat dubious manners via the Melbournian loophole.

Of course, the Melbournian version is the more "southern hemisphere" than the more "northern" Sydney version.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> but wait.

All is not lost that we live in a nation run by luxuriously well kept people with criminal behaviour in the face of a 'poor' Law.
If you are not afraid to turn your attention from a TV to a Computer,
then I'm sure you are not afraid to turn from Politics (and its 'law' enforcement) ...to Art.

This is where Jabba the Hutt down there in Melbourne, sitting pretty in his Prison with all the latest cons falls short.
Its the wealthy 'Artists' that run the show here in Australia.

Being a criminal for the Law, be it rich or poor - is like having Cancer for the Medical ...you just don't wanna be in that 'zone'.
Jump the ditch and move onto Art or something else more 'constructive', if you can't embrace 'Law' as a way of life here in Australia.

...so they might be rich with all the cons in their prison cells. But they are still criminals in prison.
Ned Kelly might be seen by some as a "national and cultural hero", but thats only without a recognition of sharing the nation with the art industry, let alone some dirty dreadlocked Feral doing his best for our Tallest Trees Forests in Tasmania amongst many, etc.

Rich (without girlfriends ...possibly 'gay') or poor (with girlfriends) Criminals are criminals.

I hope this helps ...a bit.
Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print