Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sounds Like This Guys Got A Good Employer. (Read 1343 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Sounds Like This Guys Got A Good Employer.
Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:54am

Today my employer asked me to sign a 'flood' policy, where it states that I'm required to assist in the removal of stock/goods etc in the event of a flood. I'm also required to clean up afterwards.

It states that I can be contacted at any time, 24/7, public holiday etc, and that I don't get paid for any additional hours worked.   Shocked

It also states that I will be forced to take annual leave if I'm unable to work due to flooding.

Now I wouldn't mind helping in the event of a natural disaster, however I'm concerned that with Christmas coming, and rising rivers nearby, that I may be asked to leave my family on Christmas, or on the surrounding holidays to come and evacuate my employers stock. Not only that, but I won't get paid extra for it?   Angry

Does anyone know what the standard laws/procedures are in instances of natural disasters?

My employer is fully insured against flood – so can only assume that most costs related to flood (ie. hiring of removalists, cleaners etc) would be covered in their policy.

So is it fair for an employer to expect their staff to come in, unpaid, particularly on weekends/public holidays etc, to evacuate stock/contents, and then clean up after a natural disaster?    Shocked  Sad

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Sounds Like This Guys Got A Good Employer.
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:02am

No it is certainly not fair for an employer to expect that.  And guess what,  ITS ILLEGAL.   Sad

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:12am

I wouldn't mind helping clean up if it was in my normal work hours and I got paid my normal rates of pay, otherwise noooooo waaaaay!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:19am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:12am:
I wouldn't mind helping clean up if it was in my normal work hours and I got paid my normal rates of pay, otherwise noooooo waaaaay!

pansi you dont think that story sounds just a wee bit far fetched?

I think its a crying shame that crook never seems to hear of any decent bosses in this country.. I am amazed anyone works to be honest

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:29am

codswal wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:19am:

I think its a crying shame that crook never seems to hear of any decent bosses in this country.. I am amazed anyone works to be honest

Well cods, we won't hear about the good bosses on ozpolitic, just like we won't hear about the good Muslims, that's the nature of the forum.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:41pm

It was originally posted on another forum, on December 22nd last year....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 12:27am

These "Contracts" that Employers are 'bullying' workers into signing are spilling over from New Zealand where they are pretty rife.
As far as I know, these documents are not 'legal', but can be if you sign them.

I've had a few in my working years and I just scribble something other than my signature like "asswipe" and incorrectly mispell my 'printed' name ...they never catch on.
Also, if you refuse and they sack you - your chances for "unfair dismissal" compensation are pretty high.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:05am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:29am:
codswal wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 11:19am:

Well cods, we won't hear about the good bosses on ozpolitic, just like we won't hear about the good Muslims, that's the nature of the forum.

Dead Muslims are boring anyway.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:15am

I was also dissapointed I saw the title and thought at last a story about a good employer.

Even I have heard the rumor that there are a few out there. Next time maybe.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:48am

I call BS on this.

Any employer knows you cant expect an employee to work unpaid overtime without paying them an overtime exemption.  If you were going to be cunning and try it, you definatley wouldnt put it in writing knowing full well its a breach of the rules.

I dont have a problem with telling employees they could be on call, but not a chance of getting away with using a natural disaster as an excuse not to pay.  

I also dont have a problem with annual leave being taken unless the employers insurance policy covers it. 

Notice, no link, no name, no employer name, nothing.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 12:06pm

true or not and it is almost certainly NOT true, any employee that refused to help out in a flood is a pretty stupid one. Insurance doesnt cover everything. and when business gets tight and some employees have to go, geuess who will be kept the longest? the ones who support intimes of trouble.

IMFULLOFIT understands absolutely nothing about the mutual responsibility relationships that exist in many workforces. If my office was about to be flooded Id expect my employees to help shift things out of the way. Id probably pay them for the time but anyone who refused to work unless that was guaranteed woudl probably not last long.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:12pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:15am:
I was also dissapointed I saw the title and thought at last a story about a good employer.

Even I have heard the rumor that there are a few out there. Next time maybe.

Well, I've work for lots of 'good' employers, who payed above award wage, and who had great conditions...

As I see it, it's about 50/50 for employers..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print