Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
$5 Million Study Why Australians Become Homeless (Read 1215 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

$5 Million Study Why Australians Become Homeless
Jan 13th, 2011 at 3:55am

Labor allocates $5m for study of homeless

THE Gillard government will investigate why Australians become homeless, in a bid to improve targeting of the $5 billion being spent on them.

It will be the most comprehensive research undertaken in Australia on the subject.

The government will today reveal it will spend $5 million to further research the lives of Australians who experience or are vulnerable to homelessness.

The Longitudinal Study of Australians Vulnerable to Homelessness will follow the lives of about 1500 people across Australia, interviewing them every six months over two years, and will analyse the contributing factors that lead to homelessness.

The two-year study will build on work already underway and provide an evidence base to help shape future policy development.

Social Housing and Homelessness Minister Mark Arbib said the federal government and the states were investing record amounts to fight homelessness, but it was critical that service delivery was targeted to stopping people becoming homeless in the first place.

The need for the research was identified in the White Paper on Homelessness, as current Australia-wide data does not capture issues such as the length of time that people are homeless and what causes the variation in homeless periods among people with similar support available.

"Homelessness is an extremely complex problem. It's not just about putting a roof over someone's head, it's also about ensuring the support services like healthcare, counselling and employment are effectively assisting vulnerable people," Senator Arbib said.

"The new work we are doing will allow us to better target our funding and resources in the future, ensuring government services are better co-ordinated and people less likely to fall through the cracks."

Senator Arbib said if there were inefficiencies or inadequacies in the system, it was important the government was able to address them quickly so people could get back on their feet as soon as possible. Early intervention was critical.

"The earlier you can wrap services around vulnerable people the easier it is to stabilise their housing situation," he said.

Senator Arbib said many Australians who were homeless did not live on the streets or sleep rough, but were staying with friends, families or in other temporary accommodation.

Centrelink had introduced a homelessness indicator to ensure homeless people and those at risk were identified early and assisted, Senator Arbib said.

The government will conduct the research with the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research.

The aim of the research is to not only better understand the causes of homelessness and factors that affect homelessness, but also to help governments and the community determine how better to address homelessness, Senator Arbib said.

"It will capture the changing circumstances of people with very complex needs, including those experiencing domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, gambling, mental health and cognitive disability," he said.

Senator Arbib said the Gillard government had made homelessness a national priority.

"This government has shown its commitment to addressing this problem with the aim of halving overall homelessness by 2020, and providing supported accommodation to all rough sleepers who seek it by 2020," he said.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: $5 Million Study Why Australians Become Homeless
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 4:04am

I would say a proper study on this is a very good idea.  One assumes there could be several reasons why people become homeless.  I suppose unemployment is one such reason, but then again we have jobs on every street corner, and low unemployment.  One should ask the question again, what is the real level of unemployment in Australia?.  What about the under-employed, and those people that are not even counted in the system, looking for the hidden jobs, so well hidden that people cant find them.   Sad

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 7:17am

It will be an interesting study with some no doubt susprising results. There are a large number that actually CHOOSE homelessness. I dont get it personally, but I'd love to know why.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 8:31am

Why don't they just ask the homeless, they'd tell them for nothing and it would save $5 million. All they have to do is get some of the excess public servants out and about on the streets with note pad and pen. Too easy?

Then again if they asked the actual homeless they might not get the answer they want.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Carl D
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:27am

I can save them the 5 million.

* Can't get a job (and, the longer they're unemployed, the less chance there is of them ever getting one).

* Can't afford the ridiculous prices being asked for these days to buy a home or pay private rent.

* Can't get public housing - unless you're prepared to wait 10+ years (boat people excepted, of course).

Now, Gillard and Co. - start spending that 5 billion and do something about it.

But, I'm sure we'll be having this same discussion again in maybe 5 years time. The only difference will be that the number of homeless has doubled - along with the size of the waiting lists, and waiting times, for public housing.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:29am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 8:31am:
Why don't they just ask the homeless, they'd tell them for nothing and it would save $5 million. All they have to do is get some of the excess public servants out and about on the streets with note pad and pen. Too easy?

Then again if they asked the actual homeless they might not get the answer they want.

They actually ARE asking the homeless or did you not read the OP?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:30am

I would imagine this was planned befor the Qld floods.. I can see a few more homeless on the horizon..

the $5mil will be spent on the people holding the notebooks and not on the actual homeless..sounds about right... we live in strange times..

I seem to remember rudd having a mantra regarding the homeless what he was going to do for them would make you dizzy this was back in 2007..now they are spending $5m on something I think you will find the Salvation Army.. could tell them all they want to know in five minutes..

I am sure the real homeless will be absolutely delighted with this news..lol

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:09am

codswal wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:30am:

I would imagine this was planned befor the Qld floods.. I can see a few more homeless on the horizon..

the $5mil will be spent on the people holding the notebooks and not on the actual homeless..sounds about right... we live in strange times..

I seem to remember rudd having a mantra regarding the homeless what he was going to do for them would make you dizzy this was back in 2007..now they are spending $5m on something I think you will find the Salvation Army.. could tell them all they want to know in five minutes..

I am sure the real homeless will be absolutely delighted with this news..lol

That's right. $5 million wasted and not one house built. It must be such a mystery why people become homeless.

How about loss of job, loss of full time employment, mental illness, drug and alcohol problems, domestic violence ( which could come under mental health), affordable rental accommodation, and we can now add natural disasters to the list.

The govt. just pull the 'study into' card to make it look like they're doing something.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 2:38pm

Quote:
I can save them the 5 million.

* Can't get a job (and, the longer they're unemployed, the less chance there is of them ever getting one).

* Can't afford the ridiculous prices being asked for these days to buy a home or pay private rent.

* Can't get public housing - unless you're prepared to wait 10+ years (boat people excepted, of course).

You forgot the biggest reasons. Alcoholics, drug-addicts, or just outright insane.

I could have told them them this for fifteen bucks but if the government want to give me five million go right ahead.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 2:50pm

I am surprised no one has mentioned the unemployment payment.  Of course they can survive like royalty on $234 a week.   Sad   As far as wasting money, governments are good at that.  $4 Billion dollars on the  job networks.  For all the good they are with their useless programs.   Sad  

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 2:55pm

I'm betting most of them are on the DSP, not the unemployment payment. But hey, they don't pay any rent and only need to buy food (plus the money they'll make from begging) so of course they have enough money to survive!

But yeah, get rid of the job networks. They're money making scams.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 4:59pm

Quote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned the unemployment payment.  Of course they can survive like royalty on $234 a week.   Sad   As far as wasting money, governments are good at that.  $4 Billion dollars on the  job networks.  For all the good they are with their useless programs.   Sad  

If you're homeless you don't have a home address. If you don't have a home address you can't get Centrelink payments. They don't accept post office boxes. No home = no pay. If you live in a tent in a caravan park, you are classed as homeless, but you have an address, so you would get benefits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print