Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swift Australia Strike Over, ITS A UNION WIN. (Read 449 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Swift Australia Strike Over, ITS A UNION WIN.
Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:09pm

After almost six weeks locked out without pay, 140 cold storage workers at Swift Australia in Brooklyn have reached agreement with their employer.

NUW Victorian Secretary Tim Kennedy said Swift, had backed down from its original unfair and unjust offer.   Smiley

“We’re happy to get a new deal after the company set out to crush their employees,” Mr Kennedy said.

“Swift locked out workers without pay for six weeks over Christmas and their failure to bargain in good faith with the union showed a blatant disrespect for their workers.   Angry

“Facing the might of the world’s largest meat supplier wasn’t easy but our members remained strong, united and determined to get a fair deal – and they got it,” he said.

“With great support from the broader union movement, our members were able to withstand everything thrown at them by the multi-national giant, and win.”  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Mr Kennedy said the original unfair offer threatened to strip away pay and conditions.

The new agreed offer will:
•    protect workers’ penalty and overtime rates,
•    ensure no worker is forced to work extended hours in the cold storage area, and
•    preserve the family friendly nature of the workplace.

Mr Kennedy said Swift were fortunate to have such a dedicated workforce.  

“Cold storage workers at Swift endure tough conditions and handle lamb that ends up on tables around the world,” Mr Kennedy said.

“They are mainly migrant workers that have fought hard to come to this country to make a better life for themselves and their families.

“They deserved much better than the treatment dished out by Swift over the last six weeks.”

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Swift Australia Strike Over, ITS A UNION WIN.
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:18pm

Yeah, they had a real win, no pay for 6 weeks.  So they lost just under 9% of their annual wages, for an extra 1%.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:23pm

They stood op for what was right.  Then again I suppose it didn't do the company much good either.  No production for 6 weeks.  Far better to sit down and work out a fair deal.   Smiley

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 9:09pm

Quote:
They stood op for what was right.  Then again I suppose it didn't do the company much good either.  No production for 6 weeks.  Far better to sit down and work out a fair deal.   Smiley

That fair deal cost them 8% of their wages.

How many of those workers can afford that imcrook?  Its going to take 8 years to make that up, because after all it was 1% they were fighting over.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print