Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brisbane flood level predictions (Read 5202 times)
It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Brisbane flood level predictions
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 12:40am

I think some European Towns get washed away in "Flash Floods" every now and then each year. Last year was in Italy I think. Then there was that "toxic" Flood that slowly crept into the Danube.

I think the State Governments need to unite to empower a special group of people to take on the challenge of "adapting" our country in preparation for Natural Disasters. Spotting Towns/cities/etc like Toowoomba that are in "prone" areas need to take prority before another disaster hits.
Don't worry about the Federal Government doing anything - they're useless to us, but useful to the rest of the world.

Good Topic

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:40am

muso wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 2:31pm:
frenchyjen70 wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 6:51am:
Toowomba is 700 feet above sea level and is flooded. Sure it is on the downside of the Great Dividing Range and I've heard that that is where the water is mainly coming from but what about where the water usually goes. Thats blocked up from the amount of water.

The problem with Toowoomba is the shape. It's in an extinct volcanic caldera and when it rains heavily, the water rushes down West Creek past the CBD (Just past MacDonalds) where it levels off and accumulates.  

Aren't there lots of places where this could happen - the difference being that Toowoomba was unlucky to get a massive downpour at a time when the ground was sodden and farm dams full?

Even if you could identify them, what would you do? The ban on building in Q100 zones seems sensible. The council maps also show locations of potential overland flows (flahs flooding).

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 7:28am

muso wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 2:31pm:
frenchyjen70 wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 6:51am:
Toowomba is 700 feet above sea level and is flooded. Sure it is on the downside of the Great Dividing Range and I've heard that that is where the water is mainly coming from but what about where the water usually goes. Thats blocked up from the amount of water.

The problem with Toowoomba is the shape. It's in an extinct volcanic caldera and when it rains heavily, the water rushes down West Creek past the CBD (Just past MacDonalds) where it levels off and accumulates.  

True, the city of coughs & colds is unfortunately, predisposed to flash flooding, as are so many places.  Has anyone else noticed Toowoomba being refferred to as being in "Western Queensland"?
I wonder how they`d describe Birdsville?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 12:50pm

More detailed flood prediction maps:

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/1550973

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print