Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Immoral To Profit From Workers This Way (Read 3538 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Immoral To Profit From Workers This Way
Reply #30 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:16pm

Quote:
But the government is the government.  You lumped the hospitals management in with the bueaurcrats in order to rubbish management once again.

I said that I bet that this change does not impact management - You have been unwilling to disagree

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:21pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:16pm:
Quote:
But the government is the government.  You lumped the hospitals management in with the bueaurcrats in order to rubbish management once again.

I said that I bet that this change does not impact management - You have been unwilling to disagree

As I said, there is nothing to suggest no one person is exempt from it, as the decision is out of managements hands.

Dont you think if the policy handed down by the Government excluded management, the Unions would have been onto it in a flash.

Im not sure what the big deal is, paid parking has been at the RCH in Melbourne for over 20 years.

However, if they are going to take money for car parking, all that money should be put back into ensuring that the car park is safe and secure and well maintained.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #32 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:25pm

Verge wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:21pm:
Quote:

As I said, there is nothing to suggest no one person is exempt from it, as the decision is out of managements hands.

Dont you think if the policy handed down by the Government excluded management, the Unions would have been onto it in a flash.

Im not sure what the big deal is, paid parking has been at the RCH in Melbourne for over 20 years.

However, if they are going to take money for car parking, all that money should be put back into ensuring that the car park is safe and secure and well maintained.

Will you be understanding and supportive of the push for compensatory wage increases accross the industry.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #33 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:33pm

Quote:

Well when you consider that in most of the instances that I am aware of (admittedly not inclusive of WA) the higher ranking staff have reserved parking seperate from the staff parking areas and it would be surprising to find these areas included, though no reason they could not be.

Looks to me not like management were excluded but more like they probably were not included in most cases - dependent of the set up for the site.

Clearly an area which the government should stay out of, It is not their role to be dealing with the nuts and bolts aspects of Hospital management including staff facilities.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 3:46pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:25pm:
Verge wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 12:21pm:
Quote:

Will you be understanding and supportive of the push for compensatory wage increases accross the industry.

I have never been anything less for the people that work in our hospital systems.

However, on the one example, if the costs were so secruity staff were to be newly employed to patrol those car parks, then there would need to be some give and take, since they will benefit directly.  Im not saying this is the case, Im just saying "if" it was the case.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:42am

Verge wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 3:46pm:
However, on the one example, if the costs were so secruity staff were to be newly employed to patrol those car parks, then there would need to be some give and take, since they will benefit directly.  Im not saying this is the case, Im just saying "if" it was the case.

The change is a bean counter responce to the return on theoretical land value.

They want to increase their return so they are going to screw hospital workers.

The only exemptions seem to be government cars and government fleet cars.

GVS and SOVS schemes are  Both available to senior Hospital managment and for about the same price (a little less) as staff are being asked to pay for parking alone the manager has free parking with the car thrown in and in all probability the cost is covered by the Hospital.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 11:16am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:42am:
Verge wrote on Jan 12th, 2011 at 3:46pm:
However, on the one example, if the costs were so secruity staff were to be newly employed to patrol those car parks, then there would need to be some give and take, since they will benefit directly.  Im not saying this is the case, Im just saying "if" it was the case.

The change is a bean counter responce to the return on theoretical land value.

They want to increase their return so they are going to screw hospital workers.

The only exemptions seem to be government cars and government fleet cars.

GVS and SOVS schemes are  Both available to senior Hospital managment and for about the same price (a little less) as staff are being asked to pay for parking alone the manager has free parking with the car thrown in and in all probability the cost is covered by the Hospital.

Hospital vehicles are not government issued.  They are either leased, or purchased by the Hospitals and then back charged via the employee benefits expense.  Its a little complicated, but ultimately they are not government owned vehicles.

As for the bean counter, I think the reason is a little different.  I reckon it was more a case of someone sat back, seen what the total charges were against car parks for maintenance, secruity etc, prolly has to pay for their own parking in Perth and as a result put the recomendation in as a result.

Car parks are a pretty expensive thing to build, and although maintenance isnt that much, they still cost money.  Its not just staff getting charged either, its anyone who uses them.

I can see their point about carparking.  There doesnt seem to be any such thing as free car parking anymore, so why should any place be exempt. 
I wouldnt mind however if staff had theirs subsidised, and staff can salary sacrifice it because of the exemptions for health care workers they would pay no FBT.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #37 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Verge wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 11:16am:
Hospital vehicles are not government issued.  They are either leased, or purchased by the Hospitals and then back charged via the employee benefits expense.  Its a little complicated, but ultimately they are not government owned vehicles.

'The Department of Health Motor Vehicle Fleet Policy"

I actually looked it up before I posted the comment - they do in fact have access to the government schemes.

http://www.health.wa.gov.au/circularsnew/attachments/428.pdf

Quote:
Car parks are a pretty expensive thing to build, and although maintenance isnt that much, they still cost money.  Its not just staff getting charged either, its anyone who uses them.

The general public have been charged for a long time - Employee parking has been different, they are not talking about building car parks, improving them or providing staff - just charging more for the one's already in place.

Quote:
I wouldnt mind however if staff had theirs subsidised, and staff can salary sacrifice it because of the exemptions for health care workers they would pay no FBT.

I do not really know but I doubt that is the case

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print