Send Topic Print
The floods (Read 40554 times)
Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The floods
Reply #300 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:11am

Please delete wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:07am:
Do you ever conduct yourself without the constant tirade of abuse?

I KNOW you dislike me, you don't have to work so hard.

better that he take his anger out on you rather than his wife and kids.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #301 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:20am

I DON`T dislike you at all!  In fact, I`ve been considering getting a pet imbertard of my own soon, and I will too.  Just as soon as I get the facilities, and the time to hose it down & wipe it off, I`m going to get one of my very own!
Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #302 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:21am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:11am:

better that he take his anger out on you rather than his wife and kids.

That`s easy for you to say, MZ Retread!

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #303 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:30am

Quote:
How can we be so poor in the midst of a mining boom

You'd be surprised at just how little Qld earns from mining royalties - especially from coal. Also the flow on effects from the mining boom in Qld are more limited to regional areas - unlike what has been happening in WA.

When they raised the royalty payments on coal in Qld a couple of years ago, the mining companies screamed blue murder.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #304 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:48am

Please delete wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 7:30am:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 6:35am:
Please delete wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 4:40am:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 8:53pm:
Please delete wrote on Jan 13th, 2011 at 3:28pm:
I was wondering:

Government's "self insure".

From an economic rationalist POV it makes sense.

However, would it be better for governments to outsource their insurance as much as possible with private companies, so that those companies are more liquid?

I can`t believe I read that. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

And your analysis is?

Australia needs a viable insurance sector, the same as we need (and enjoy) a strong banking sector.

At times like these, when the cost is being tallied into billions, we expect the insurance companies to step up, to honour their contracts, and to not go broke.

One way to do that would be to ensure they get as much business as possible.

To mandate that everyone have insurance on their homes, and for the government to NOT self insure - in other words to prop up the insurance companies with their business.

Costs might be about the same, with the knowledge that they are still going to have to self insure for large items that are just too big for an insurance company.

Just try to work out Ron Bosswell`s idea Ernie. Might take a while, apparently.

You might think the sun shines out of Boswells fat behind, I don't.

I will NOT support an idea that taxes one group who does the right thing, to support the fools who do not. If you think that is fair, then the current system, where the taxpayer picks up the tab and charities make our ears bleed about donations, should be fine for you.

I heard an "expert" on ABC radio this morning say three things.

1. Everyone should be forced to have insurance

2. There was some value in a "National Insurance" scheme

3. We could lift the GST to build a fund for such events.

A 2.5% lift in GST would raise about $1B per year. If this was "locked away" for a rainy day, in a sovereign fund, as qikvtec suggested (I think) it would certainly help.

I fear the fund would get drained twice a year though ...

How do you feel about unemployment benefits/pension?  Not to be particularly persnickety but it's the same thing no?

What surprises me is that under the terms of most mortgages homes are supposed to be adequately insured, many of these homes lost aren't adequately insured. 

Saw a bloke this morning on who had opted out of flood insurance to avoid the cost, his decision is likely to cost him $200-$300k. 

Rule number 1 : never risk a lot for a little.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #305 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:51am

Life_goes_on wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:30am:
Quote:

You'd be surprised at just how little Qld earns from mining royalties - especially from coal. Also the flow on effects from the mining boom in Qld are more limited to regional areas - unlike what has been happening in WA.

When they raised the royalty payments on coal in Qld a couple of years ago, the mining companies screamed blue murder.

yeah! mining boom mining doom. I suppose even a small royalty is worth sending the ADF personnel to the mines instead of using them to get urgent supplies to rural towns that have been without staple food items for a week now. That's capitalism for you, the dollar comes before the people.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Reply #306 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:52am

"How do you feel about unemployment benefits/pension?  Not to be particularly persnickety but it's the same thing no?"

Difference between someone who has nothing, and no options, and someone who can afford a house, but chooses not to carry insurance, and/or is too stupid to carry the RIGHT insurance.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #307 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:53am

And just BTW qikvtec, I am harshly critical of public housing - strange for a lefty.

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #308 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:00am

Please delete wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:53am:
And just BTW qikvtec, I am harshly critical of public housing - strange for a lefty.

Sorry Ernie, don't take it too seriously, I agree with your position.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #309 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 9:09am

Yes, I know.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #310 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:12pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 8:51am:
Quote:

yeah! mining boom mining doom. I suppose even a small royalty is worth sending the ADF personnel to the mines instead of using them to get urgent supplies to rural towns that have been without staple food items for a week now. That's capitalism for you, the dollar comes before the people.

"the dollar comes before the people."
Which people pansi, who`s being neglected?

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #311 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:17pm

Quote:

You can send me over 3 billion per anum any time, just a little amount?  Although it`s not much for a crew as proficient in stuff ups as this State Govt.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #312 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:20pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:12pm:
Quote:

The populations of entire towns. The people who are getting into punch-ups at the supermarket fighting for the last can of whatever. The babies that have no formula, the children who have no bread or milk, those are the people being neglected. Even your hero Tony was attacking the lack of essential items being sent up north.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #313 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:28pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:20pm:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:12pm:
Quote:

The populations of entire towns. The people who are getting into punch-ups at the supermarket fighting for the last can of whatever. The babies that have no formula, the children who have no bread or milk, those are the people being neglected. Even your hero Tony was attacking the lack of essential items being sent up north.

It`s a major flood event, Mono Neuronoid

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #314 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:50pm

<<It`s a major flood event, Mono Neuronoid >>

The pollies should get their ugly dials off the tv and stop boasting that they are doing something then. In other words stop pretending that they are in control of the situation, because they clearly are not.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print