Send Topic Print
The floods (Read 40508 times)
jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
The floods
Jan 7th, 2011 at 11:29pm

How awesome are we.

I feel lucky to live in a country that cares. Radio, TV and on the ground.

We have it pretty good. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world in such a disaster.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: The floods
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 8:54am

Interesting pic. Is that just for one house?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:37am

Looks like it.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:48am

That's the chief of the SES's house lol

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:49am

Bollox.

We have much better disasters here.

Look at New Orleans.

"Rich, you're doing one heck of a job!"

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 12:13pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:49am:
Bollox.

Look at New Orleans.

Yeah, look at BHP and that massive oil spill ... nearly as good a job as Exxon Valdez.

Or the future disaster : Yucca Mountain and the poisoning of the Colorado River.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 1:04pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:48am:

Lol.

What can i say, i'm clad that we look after ourselves.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 8:16pm

'Dramatic' rain warning for flood-soaked Australia

SYDNEY — Heavy rains falling on Australia's flooded north-east could have a "dramatic" impact, officials warned Sunday, stretching already swollen rivers and creeks to their limit across the devastated region.

Queensland police commissioner Alistair Dawson said that severe weather lashing the already sodden northeastern state could bring flash flooding to currently dry areas with little warning.

"Waters will rise quickly -- you may not be aware of that rise," Dawson told reporters. "Those places which have gone under before, especially on the road system, could well flood again within an hour."

"The ground is so waterlogged, the catchments so primed, the rivers so full, the creeks are all flooding, and it will mean something more dramatic than it has in the past," Bridson said.

"That 200 millimetres (eight inches) of rain... could mean the difference between a minor flood and a major flood," he added.

The wild weather even hit Queensland's premier Anna Bligh, with lightning striking her airplane as she toured flood-stricken areas, reportedly scorching the wings and startling those on board with a loud bang.

"Premier's plane was just struck by lightning. We landed safely. But slightly shaken. Plane will need to be repaired," television reporter Sylvia Jeffreys, who was tailing Bligh on Sunday, wrote on the Twitter microblogging site.

Bligh's office confirmed the plane had been hit after takeoff in central Queensland and would be "out of action for a little while", but stressed that no-one had been hurt.

The "biblical" deluge has wiped out crops and brought dozens of coal mines to a standstill, driving up world prices and threatening the key steelmaking industry. The disaster is expected to shave at least Aus$6 billion ($6 billion) from Australia's economy.

Link -
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hu6Ce8NzDKzirYHI__e9WuXeh2FA?...

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 8:44pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:49am:
Bollox.

Look at New Orleans.

Yeah, great. If this had happened there we can only assume that the response would be similar to Hurricane Katrina with the rest of the country thinking that we've "just had a bit of rain" up here, there'd be a few hundred dead floatiing about and instead of govt assistance and evacuation centres, most of the flood victims would still be sitting on their rooves trying to form SOS signs with wet bed sheets and towels.

If only we can put on a natural disaster like they can in the US, then we'd really have something to be proud of. Then we could trump your pissy Katrina with the overall area affected.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:48pm

Time to start building the ark.  Cheesy

This is when the big cyclone moves south, then west.

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 10:25pm

Drove the highway south of Childers to Brisbane last Thursday night, was not in good shape. Cant imagine what this will do to it. let alone the towns.

Gympie is criss-crossed by many old shallow mines isn’t it? Wonder if thats going to be a problem.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:41am

There was a section in the Newspaper a couple of days ago in regards to the Government seeking anyone with ideas in how to deal with the problems of the Floods.

...you mean they are finally thinking about 'problem solving' rather than just handing out cash'ish?

...maybe they don't have any cash'ish to hand out anymore in regards to 'Relief Packages'?

...all that good rainfall going to waste. Wonder what they'll be saying when El Nino brings mass Droughts.  Roll Eyes

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:26pm

THE Queensland city of Toowoomba has been devastated by a deadly wall of water in scenes reminiscent of a tsunami.

10 Jan 2011 - Floods
An ugly new chapter is unfolding in the state's unprecedented flood crisis, with parts of Toowoomba devastated and homes swept away in the Lockyer Valley at the foot of the Toowoomba range.

Two people - including a woman pedestrian caught up in the flash flooding - have been killed but the language being used by emergency services suggests they won't be the last.

An unknown number of others are missing after the flood hit about midday (AEST), washing away cars, some with drivers still trapped inside

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/flash-flood-hits-toowoomba/story-fn7ik2te-1225985113281

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 7:48pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 10:48am:

What an airhead rsole a person would have to be to get a kick out of this.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:51pm

So how long do we have to wait before we can joke about it?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print