Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Encouraging illegal fishing (Read 11900 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Encouraging illegal fishing
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 9:45am

[]Back from work...

Quote:
You haven't fallen for FD's big lie have you? Ie that marine parks are the only thing standing in the way of depletion of our fish stocks?

On the contrary PJ, I dive and 'see' the difference of 'dive sites' where there is a lot of fishing and minimal fishing. Batemans Bay is a good example where the areas heavily fished are nothing more than empty urching barrens and the protected areas have some sense of a natural setting inhabited with fish ...mostly nursery fish (feeling protected I guess>?). Just beyond the viz of Divers though you can just catch a glimpse of the 'big' fish which are more 'flighty' in their behaviour.

Rubbish. There is no evidence the Bateman's Bay area was overfished before the MP was established. Even the MPA's 'science' paper admits that. To asssess a difference between green zones and fished zones you need years of careful scientific study - not just an untrained marine park advocate seeing what he wants to see.   

So you have 'areas' that are of benefit to Aquatic Life and if you look at the Gravel Loader at Bass Point or Rapid Jetty (SA) - you will see what 'Artificial Reefs' could do to provide 'structures' that are beneficiary. Go to Tathra Wharf or Merimbula Wharf or any wharf and you will see schools of fish underneath the wharf but they never go out beyond its protection to nibble the bait.

So you have beneficiary 'areas' and 'structures' - the 3rd step would be 'beneficiary Fishing methods' that don't trawl the sea floor into desert wastelands, etc, etc or non-selective net/line catching that catch a 70% throw-back stock (that hardly ever survive).

There are large areas of NSW where fish trawling is banned as part of normal fisheries management - you don't need marine parks to ban trawling.

Structures/Artificial Reefs: You see a lot of great Aquatic photos coming out these days, but there is a lot to listen to underwater too.
Fish can 'hear' a Bommie up to 30km away ...thats how they find their way across vast expanses of sand to another Bommie. They don't use a Sextant, thats for sure. They listen to the buzz of activity that the Bommie is offering and Fish are incredibly social creatures - they make their way there. Why a Bommie? Why do people build and flock to Pyramids, let alone the concept of a City? American Divers put all sorts of things into Quarries that are flooded - planes, trains and automobils = why? Because they need 'stimulation'. Fish need stimulation too ...especially when it comes to breeding. Nothing worse than seeing a fish go round and round and round in a pen like a docile autistic 'thing'. Pens are the answer that 'civilised' people can only offer to compensate for the 'natural' world they have ruined. Parks/Sanctuaries/Zones are what 'natural' people can offer instead.
You tell me which you prefer?

Strawman. Where not overfished to start with. Even with a regime of marine parks remember that most of the ocean is still open to fishing. Also most NSW fish and their larvae are highly mobile to the protection given by marine parks is limited.

I think we have experienced 100 years of people taking as much as they can, even beyond the term 'need', from the seas and oceans - and putting only 'rubbish' back in return.
I think times are changing for the better and like all things 'evolutionary' - I kinda pity those fishermen who still live in the past and can't see their own 'extinction' ahead.

Your all rhetoric and no substance.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:55am

I think PJ that you don't wanna admit that for 100 years Fishing has 'stuffed up' by taking it a little too far. Ok a 'lot' too far and still do.

but in your defence, there hasn't been anyone out there to stop em and wisen them up, until now - let alone implement situations to 'proliferate' aquatic species in their wild habitats.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 12:27pm

date=1294278949]I think PJ that you don't wanna admit that for 100 years Fishing has 'stuffed up' by taking it a little too far. Ok a 'lot' too far and still do.

There's the little matter of evidence. We are hardly using the resource. NSW waters could support more fishing pressure.  NSW imports 91% of it's seafood. Your creating a false paradigm.   

but in your defence, there hasn't been anyone out there to stop em and wisen them up, until now - let alone implement situations to 'proliferate' aquatic species in their wild habitats.

Most of the effort was removed in the 1990's - and not through the method of marine parks. Once again you are full of rhetoric and short on facts.  

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:54pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 6:11am

You remind me of one of those Company Doctors who will tell me that my busted leg is just a scratch although my own Doctor has agreed that my leg is 'broken' and I am entitled to Compensation as it was 'work related'.

I would rather believe people like Ben Cropp (via emails), the Taylors (via presentation nights) and Tom Byron (in person) ...who have been around a very long time and all agree that the level of Aquatic Life in all the areas where they have dived (been underwater and seen what Fishing boats fail to see) has diminished considerably.
Than believe a bunch of 'Scientists' that are on the take with their paperwork and say otherwise.

I personally 'think' that Australian waters have 'improved', since the implementation of more stricter Fishing methods, etc
But its like helping someone trying to quit smoking ....after just 3 months of fresh air, they suddenly feel that its ok to light up another fag.

We need Fishing, if not more 'selective' fishing techniques.
(this sums up everything right here Roll Eyes)

No offence PJ, but Australian Fishing needs to work entirely with Conservational efforts ...and not against, that way both will swim 'across' from the Rip.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 6:53am

You remind me of one of those Company Doctors who will tell me that my busted leg is just a scratch although my own Doctor has agreed that my leg is 'broken' and I am entitled to Compensation as it was 'work related'.

Our fisheries aren't broken, they are in good fettle. I think the quackery is on your side.

I would rather believe people like Ben Cropp (via emails), the Taylors (via presentation nights) and Tom Byron (in person) ...who have been around a very long time and all agree that the level of Aquatic Life in all the areas where they have dived (been underwater and seen what Fishing boats fail to see) has diminished considerably.

Valerie Taylor still holds the women's spearfishing record for Grey Nurse Shark. Looks like she's just trying to atone for past sins.  

Than believe a bunch of 'Scientists' that are on the take with their paperwork and say otherwise.

You started talking about scientific facts now you rather believe a bunch of bubble-heads. Actually it's the scientists who are critical of marine parks that are more independant, eg they are often retired and no longer rely on government funding to make a living.

I personally 'think' that Australian waters have 'improved', since the implementation of more stricter Fishing methods, etc
But its like helping someone trying to quit smoking ....after just 3 months of fresh air, they suddenly feel that its ok to light up another fag.

That shows a lot about what you think about fishing. Unlike smoking if fishing if not overdone it does a lot of good with regard to human wellfare and little harm to marine ecosystems (unlike pollution and degradation).

We need Fishing, if not more 'selective' fishing techniques.
(this sums up everything right here Roll Eyes)

No offence PJ, but Australian Fishing needs to work entirely with Conservational efforts ...and not against, that way both will swim 'across' from the Rip.

We don't have to accept this on faith or appeal to a bandwagon.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011 at 7:25pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 7:18pm

Bear in mind that I think of Sanctuaries/Parks/Zones as something similar to Zoos and Aquariums ...a little bit of nature in a world of civilisation.
The reason being is that we can't ban fishing outright everywhere.
Alas, we can't even reach a 50/50 agreement in the name of "fair's fair", let alone 'equality'.

Ever watch "Survivor" on TV? A good example of 'Civilised' people being very 'unnatural' in many ways.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 7:32pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 11th, 2011 at 7:18pm:
Bear in mind that I think of Sanctuaries/Parks/Zones as something similar to Zoos and Aquariums ...a little bit of nature in a world of civilisation.
The reason being is that we can't ban fishing outright everywhere.
Alas, we can't even reach a 50/50 agreement in the name of "fair's fair", let alone 'equality'.

Ever watch "Survivor" on TV? A good example of 'Civilised' people being very 'unnatural' in many ways.  Roll Eyes

What's natural about zoos and aquariums? Your not making much sense. Also fish swim in and out of these sanctuaries (you couldn't otherwise claim any possible benefit from a spillover effect). Also what's fair about embarking on a costly program of inefective marine reserves based on mushy platitudes and opinions.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 7:38pm

This might be of interest to those who think marine parks are the greatest gift to civilisation:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110110/full/469146a.html

Plans for marine protection highlight science gap
Researchers are scrambling to understand how best to deploy conservation zones.

Daniel Cressey

The reefs of the Phoenix Islands in Kiribati are part of the world’s largest marine protected area.
P. NICKLEN/NAT. GEOGR./GETTYFacing a host of threats including fishery devastation and the destruction of coral reefs, conservationists have increasingly pinned their hopes on marine protected areas (MPAs). More than 5,000 of these sanctuaries, where fishing is controlled to limit its effect on biodiversity, have been set up, mainly in coastal zones. They range in size from less than 10,000 square metres to the vast Phoenix Islands area, part of the Republic of Kiribati in the Pacific Ocean, which tops 400,000 square kilometres.

But, in the rush to safeguard marine ecosystems, there has been little scientific assessment of how to create a successful MPA. With a new wave of MPAs expected to be created in deep-ocean regions in the next few years, scientists are eager to understand how factors such as size and siting can determine a protected area's success or failure.

Tundi Agardy, an environmental consultant based in Colrain, Massachusetts, is the lead author of a paper published in Marine Policy, which warns of a "blind faith" in the ability of MPAs to stem biodiversity loss. She told Nature that she can name only "a handful" of areas that actually work as advertised. Her paper identifies five possible shortcomings in MPAs: many are too small to be effective; they may simply drive fishing into other areas; they create an illusion of protection when none is actually occurring; many are poorly planned or managed; and they can fail all too easily because of environmental degradation of waters just outside the protected area.
"I'd venture a guess that a majority of the world's several thousand MPAs have one flaw or another relating to the five categories we describe," says Agardy. For example, an MPA created to protect the vaquita (Phocoena sinus), a small porpoise found only in the Gulf of California, actually missed a sizeable proportion of the species' core range. The animal's numbers have continued to decline and it is now the most endangered marine mammal in the world2.

"We still need a lot of knowledge to really understand how MPAs work exactly," says Frederic Vandeperre, a marine biologist at the University of the Azores in Horta who last month published an analysis3 of seven southern European MPAs. The study showed that these MPAs can benefit fisheries in adjacent waters, but that the degree of the effect depends heavily on the size of the area and the quality of its management. Vandeperre says that each MPA needs a unique design, depending on its goals. For example, those that explicitly aim to safeguard fishing yields need to cover a larger area.

International waters
Conservationists should approach the design and siting of an MPA as an experiment, he says. "We should maybe create MPAs with different structures, different designs in a controlled way, to be really like an experiment so we can figure out which elements are crucial." This could include variations in size, location, manage­ment strategy, monitoring and proximity to other MPAs.

Understanding the best way to create MPAs is about to become much more important. The 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development set ambitious, internationally agreed targets to establish extensive networks of MPAs around the world by 2012.

This requires the creation of more MPAs outside national boundaries in the high seas, where still less is known about how to make them work. "We have almost no experience of applying marine protected areas to high-seas ecosystems," says Alex Rogers, a conservation ecologist at the University of Oxford, UK. "We don't really know where to put them. We suspect that simply by placing them in places that are particularly sensitive for species we may be able to derive a considerable management benefit, but it's very, very early days at the moment." Rogers is organizing a conference at the Zoological Society of London next month to discuss the design of high-seas protected areas, along with the complex legal and political issues that surround them.

Still, some studies are starting to give clear pointers on the best way to position both coastal and high-seas MPAs. Last month, Mark Christie of Oregon State University in Corvallis and his team published an analysis4 showing that fish larvae — those of the yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) — were successfully dispersing from an MPA to sites up to 180 kilometres away.

"Now we are able to show the larvae can drift to sites outside the MPA and essentially reseed fish stocks significant distances away," says Christie. The result means that by combining information about ocean currents with the genetics of larvae captured from the seas, researchers can identify from where the larvae came. That could help pinpoint — and protect — the most important spawning areas for species such as Pacific bluefin tuna (Thunnus orientalis), says Rogers.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:17am

Just a shame we couldn't go back in time
- of a world with plentiful and wild Aquatic Life.
where we could make little "zones" for the Fishermen to be happy in
like babies in a playpen.

Alas, its the other way around - the natural world has to suffer these little Zones as their only (current) hope against overpopulated nations, evil Chefs and numbnuts who, for all their scientific intellectuality - fail to find the commone sense 'zone' known as the "BIG PICTURE".

Maybe we should get the Moslems to impose Ramadan of the Fisheries for a month - NO FISHING. Grin

My brother lived in the Azores for years. Speaks fluent Portuguese (as well as the Brazillian) amongst other Latin tongues. He now works for the Aust Navy. He assures me that all "conservational" efforts have improved the fishing around the islands as well as the Tourism. I tend to believe someone who lives on the sea (as I do under the sea) as much as he does ...rather than some crackpot Scientist still playing with numbers and popularity papers.

Zones may not be perfect, but they are more than a great help for aquatic life (- beyond halting all forms of fishing), like some cruel irony.

Civilised people are so stupid when it comes to the Natural world - no wonder they need Technology to help with their 'autistic' behaviours. Tongue

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Well I gotta go (3rd time unlucky).
Must say PJ ...won't be long before Australian Fisheries will be working for the Australian Conservationists anyway.
Wink Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:21pm

FFS, just go already.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:42pm

How do you know if exceed bag limit or not if you can not identify  the caught fish?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:57pm

tallowood wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:42pm:
How do you know if exceed bag limit or not if you can not identify  the caught fish?

Fisheries provide booklets and stickers with pictures of fish, along with the rules that apply to them. In any case it's like any other law - ingorance is no excuse.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:14pm

I had some fishes that fisheries inspectors could not identify themselves.

Does it mean they(inspectors) are fraud?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #29 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:50pm

pjb05 wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:57pm:
tallowood wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:42pm:
How do you know if exceed bag limit or not if you can not identify  the caught fish?

Fisheries provide booklets and stickers with pictures of fish, along with the rules that apply to them. In any case it's like any other law - ingorance is no excuse.

I consider myself reasonably conversant with breeds of fish but have to admit on occasion I have got one which I could not identlfy.

Normally take a picture but do not see this as a problem - who would keep a fish if they didn't know what it was.

In my case they all go back anyway.

Released a 42cm whiting my daughter caught in the lake a few weeks back. (and half a dozern smaller ones).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print