Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Encouraging illegal fishing (Read 11922 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Encouraging illegal fishing
Jan 5th, 2011 at 7:42am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:53pm:
All in all, I still shake my head at the amount of Recreational Fisherman Fishing in restricted areas ...even in full sight of us Diving.

Do you let them know it is a no take zone?
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:17am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Why is Walter so bitter?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:26am

freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 7:42am:
Quote:
All in all, I still shake my head at the amount of Recreational Fisherman Fishing in restricted areas ...even in full sight of us Diving.

Seems unlikely given the heavy enforcement and considerable resources. Although big deal and good on them if they get away with it.  
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:15am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:40am

pjb05 wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:26am:
Quote:

Seems unlikely given the heavy enforcement and considerable resources. Although big deal and good on them if they get away with it.  

So you encourage this sort of thing?

Do you encourage people to exceed bag limts, minimum sizes etc?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:52am

freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:40am:
pjb05 wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:26am:
[quote]All in all, I still shake my head at the amount of Recreational Fisherman Fishing in restricted areas ...even in full sight of us Diving.

So you encourage this sort of thing?

For all the reasons outlined in this forum - it doesn't bother me. Though given the athour's previous misinformation, I doubt the veracity of the claim.

Do you encourage people to exceed bag limts, minimum sizes etc.

No, but they are actual fisheries management measures.  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:24am

pjb05 wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:52am:
For all the reasons outlined in this forum - it doesn't bother me.

Would you respond with this in real life:

Quote:
Although big deal and good on them if they get away with it.

?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:49am

freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:24am:
pjb05 wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:52am:
For all the reasons outlined in this forum - it doesn't bother me.

Would you respond with this in real life:

Quote:
Although big deal and good on them if they get away with it.

?

Just my feeling FD. There is no need to seize onto it like a drowning man and start a whole new thread.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Encouraging illegal fishing
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:04am

I thought you supported marine parks in some circumstances? Would that change how you felt about poaching?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:10am

freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:04am:
I thought you supported marine parks in some circumstances? Would that change how you felt about poaching?

Obviously. Though the penalties should be in line with other offences like bag and size limits.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:22am

Quote:

Depends upon the 'authority' upon the boat i'm on and my 'local area'.
Other than this - my mates and I have succeeded once in pretending to be 'Rangers' and confiscated gear from illigal fishers. We had to reurn the gear once the Rangers turned up laughing Grin because they continued to use 'hand-lines' hours after we told em to leave and were busted by the Rangers themselves. In the end, the Rangers rang to tell us we can keep the gear because the culprits couldn't pay the entire fine. We said "bin em" as we prefer to SpearFish which is more selective and responsible ...these days.
We were warned though that 'impersonations' are illegal as well, so we just yell out "Efin knobheads" rather than encroach upon the official duty. But Rangers have my full support and do a great job, even though they are extremely short staffed.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:27am

pjb05 wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:10am:
freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:04am:

Obviously. Though the penalties should be in line with other offences like bag and size limits.

So which marine parks would you oppose fishing in?

Quote:
We were warned though that 'impersonations' are illegal as well, so we just yell out "Efin knobheads" rather than encroach upon the official duty.

You don't have to impersonate a ranger to let people know. They may simply be ignorant. Or a friend of PJs.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:55am

Quote:

Depends upon the 'authority' upon the boat i'm on and my 'local area'.
Other than this - my mates and I have succeeded once in pretending to be 'Rangers' and confiscated gear from illigal fishers. We had to reurn the gear once the Rangers turned up laughing Grin because they continued to use 'hand-lines' hours after we told em to leave and were busted by the Rangers themselves. In the end, the Rangers rang to tell us we can keep the gear because the culprits couldn't pay the entire fine. We said "bin em" as we prefer to SpearFish which is more selective and responsible ...these days.

Yes It's wise you put that proviso in considering spearfishing nearly wiped out groper and the GNS. I don't see the sport in spearing a fish either.

We were warned though that 'impersonations' are illegal as well, so we just yell out "Efin knobheads" rather than encroach upon the official duty. But Rangers have my full support and do a great job, even though they are extremely short staffed.

Yes those poor public sevants. They have have such tough working conditions.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 12:19pm

Quote:
Yes It's wise you put that proviso in considering spearfishing nearly wiped out groper and the GNS. I don't see the sport in spearing a fish either.

Yes indeed - killing species a 'Sport' (for trophy) ...not the best of human behaviours, let alone achievements. Roll Eyes
I'm impressed with NZ Spearfishing attitudes of late - they are taking on the responsibility of protecting their livelihoods (well, their activity) for the long-term and Trophy Comps are becoming a thing of the past.
Now they are promoting 'their' territories as been the most abundant to spear within comfortably. I hope it catches on over here.

Quote:
You don't have to impersonate a ranger to let people know. They may simply be ignorant. Or a friend of PJs.

I just let em know I don't agree with their activity, especially if it ain't my local Illawarra area. A lot of Fisherman do this, although a lot mroe Fisherman go for the illegal areas because they know bigger and more fish resides there.
I'm unsure about the legalities of taking matter's further regarding intervention with someone fishing in illegal areas?

Quote:

Shame they can't shoot Poachers on the spot like African Rangers do.
Even this remedy has failed though - as their are no more 'Big Tusker' Elephants left in Africa.  Roll Eyes

Its like watching a greedy kid try to shove the entire birthday cake into his nouth sometimes ...it just makes things plain 'sick'. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 12:20pm

...gotta go to work again.
Angry

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 1:06pm

[] Quote:
[quote]You don't have to impersonate a ranger to let people know. They may simply be ignorant. Or a friend of PJs.

I just let em know I don't agree with their activity, especially if it ain't my local Illawarra area. A lot of Fisherman do this, although a lot mroe Fisherman go for the illegal areas because they know bigger and more fish resides there.

More likely these were popular fishing areas before they were taken away by marine parks. There is no evidence yet of more and bigger fish in NSW marine parks.

I'm unsure about the legalities of taking matter's further regarding intervention with someone fishing in illegal areas?

Quote:

Shame they can't shoot Poachers on the spot like African Rangers do.
Even this remedy has failed though - as their are no more 'Big Tusker' Elephants left in Africa.  Roll Eyes

You haven't fallen for FD's big lie have you? Ie that marine parks are the only thing standing in the way of depletion of our fish stocks?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 11:50pm

Back from work...

Quote:
You haven't fallen for FD's big lie have you? Ie that marine parks are the only thing standing in the way of depletion of our fish stocks?

On the contrary PJ, I dive and 'see' the difference of 'dive sites' where there is a lot of fishing and minimal fishing. Batemans Bay is a good example where the areas heavily fished are nothing more than empty urching barrens and the protected areas have some sense of a natural setting inhabited with fish ...mostly nursery fish (feeling protected I guess>?). Just beyond the viz of Divers though you can just catch a glimpse of the 'big' fish which are more 'flighty' in their behaviour.

So you have 'areas' that are of benefit to Aquatic Life and if you look at the Gravel Loader at Bass Point or Rapid Jetty (SA) - you will see what 'Artificial Reefs' could do to provide 'structures' that are beneficiary. Go to Tathra Wharf or Merimbula Wharf or any wharf and you will see schools of fish underneath the wharf but they never go out beyond its protection to nibble the bait.

So you have beneficiary 'areas' and 'structures' - the 3rd step would be 'beneficiary Fishing methods' that don't trawl the sea floor into desert wastelands, etc, etc or non-selective net/line catching that catch a 70% throw-back stock (that hardly ever survive).

Structures/Artificial Reefs: You see a lot of great Aquatic photos coming out these days, but there is a lot to listen to underwater too.
Fish can 'hear' a Bommie up to 30km away ...thats how they find their way across vast expanses of sand to another Bommie. They don't use a Sextant, thats for sure. They listen to the buzz of activity that the Bommie is offering and Fish are incredibly social creatures - they make their way there. Why a Bommie? Why do people build and flock to Pyramids, let alone the concept of a City? American Divers put all sorts of things into Quarries that are flooded - planes, trains and automobils = why? Because they need 'stimulation'. Fish need stimulation too ...especially when it comes to breeding. Nothing worse than seeing a fish go round and round and round in a pen like a docile autistic 'thing'. Pens are the answer that 'civilised' people can only offer to compensate for the 'natural' world they have ruined. Parks/Sanctuaries/Zones are what 'natural' people can offer instead.
You tell me which you prefer?

I think we have experienced 100 years of people taking as much as they can, even beyond the term 'need', from the seas and oceans - and putting only 'rubbish' back in return.
I think times are changing for the better and like all things 'evolutionary' - I kinda pity those fishermen who still live in the past and can't see their own 'extinction' ahead.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print