Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Victoria Considering Scrapping $1.3 Billion System (Read 286 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Victoria Considering Scrapping $1.3 Billion System
Dec 28th, 2010 at 7:33am

The Victorian government is reportedly considering scrapping the $1.3 billion myki public transport smart card system.

The new coalition government has ordered a freeze on the rollout of the myki system to V/Line regional services and has scrapped the Metcard switch-off planned for Easter, accordiing to a News Limited report.

The report said the government had commissioned an un-named major accounting firm to conduct a wide-ranging audit of the smart card's operation.

The government has also called for public transport operators' views, some of which were described as "scathing", of the system.

The news comes as Transport Ticketing Authority research found only 75,000 of the 800,000 myki cards in circulation are used on a typical weekday.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Victoria Considering Scrapping $1.3 Billion System
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 7:41am

These governments are to clever for their own good.  Why not forget about all these fancy new systems, that don't work.   Sad.  The answer is so obvious, bring back the ticket sellers, and the conductors.  A system that worked, and also gave people jobs as well.  The money they spend on these wonderful ideas and machines, would more than pay for the wages of the ticket sellers, and conductors.    Wink 

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Victoria Considering Scrapping $1.3 Billion System
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 6:11pm

I have to agree crook, $1.3 billion could have given a lot of jobs, and more importantly safety to the system

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print