Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australian Made Does Not Mean Ethically Made. (Read 611 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Australian Made Does Not Mean Ethically Made.
Dec 26th, 2010 at 11:31am

LEADING fashion brands are being made by exploited workers in filthy sweat shops ... here in Melbourne.

An investigation has exposed a network of thousands of outworkers paid less than $2 an hour on average who make garments that adorn rails in our big department stores.   Shocked

One worker was paid $10 a dress, which was then sold in a shop for $600.   Angry  

And this week clothes for Portmans, Jacqui-E, Pilgrim, Basque and Hi There were being made in revolting and potentially lethal conditions.

But this is not the slums of a Third World country it's Melbourne's inner suburbs.

Elizabeth Macpherson, of the Textile Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia, said: "No one thinks it is happening in Melbourne, but it's rife and in our backyard.

"I've seen conditions here that are worse than anywhere abroad.

"The problem is massive but people think because it's Australia, it does not happen here, the law would not allow it to happen.

"But I've heard stories and seen conditions so harsh and people treated so badly, it tears at your heart. It's exploitation at its worst and it's right here in Melbourne."   Sad

Ms Macpherson said shoppers needed to realise exactly what they were buying.

"Australian Made does not mean ethically made," she said.  

"Consumers need to stop and think about the exploited mum who has been forced to get her children involved in making a dress, staying up the whole night, just so a fashion house can get their product in a store by Monday morning and being paid pittance for it."

The average hourly wage of a sweat shop employee is $8, but businesses pass on the bulk of their workload to outworkers who receive $2 on average.   Sad

Expenses such as running a car to pick up the material and delivering the garments and even the cost of cotton must also come out of their wage.

Outworkers in Australia work an average 14 hours a day, seven days a week to make ends meet.   Sad

Ms Macpherson said some fashion houses owed thousands to outworkers in a deliberate act to keep staff working for them.

"Workers are never told how much they are being paid for a job," she said.

"When all the garments are made and handed over, the fashion house tells them how much money they will receive. But they still don't get that money for two or three weeks and maybe longer.

"The fashion house creates a situation where the worker is owed money, so they have to keep working for them to have any chance of getting that cash.

"Other fashion houses have been known to ask for payments from outworkers to ensure they are given continued work. And they find the lamest excuse not to pay."

This year the union has helped 3000 sweatshop and outworkers receive better conditions and pay.

Run-down shops in Maidstone have their front windows painted to hide the conditions inside.

Stepping inside, gas bottles are attached to rusty heaters and an oven; a fire extinguisher lies on the floor without a hose; cracked tiles litter the floor and paint is peeling from the walls.   Sad

And there are rails and rails of dresses, all bearing "Made in Australia" tags.

In Footscray, a commercial factory doubles as an illegal home.   Shocked

The union has also uncovered a factory in Altona North where eight women were working with water pouring through the roof.

There was hardly any light and water was on the floor.

In Springvale, workers were locked inside a factory so there was no way out if a fire started.

At another site, workers were wearing coats and earmuffs because it was so cold and the gas bottle for the heater had run out.

And in Sunshine, Ms Macpherson had a shotgun pointed at her and death threats made.    Shocked

Tommy Clarke, of Ethical Clothing Australia, said: "Sweatshops are a big problem in Australia. Brands need to take practical steps to make sure they are not breaking the law.

"If consumers want to support efforts for a more ethical Australian clothing industry, it's important they look for the Ethical Clothing Australia logo when they are shopping."

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: Australian Made Does Not Mean Ethically Made.
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 12:03pm

I have nothing wrong with Sweat-Shop wages, especially worked by races whose main intention is to 'outbreed' everyone else.
What I do dissagree about is such cheap quality labour making products (fashion) that is considered expensive or $600 worth.
Only well paid quality workers making quality products deserve to charge expensive rates.
I think these Sweat-shop workers and their bosses deserve everything they get ...like sweet F-all from the Consumers. Cheap pood!

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 7:12pm

And you've got to feel sorry for the retailers at Westfield shopping center losing out because of people getting better deals online Wink I hardly think that a GST on imported online goods will help this situation Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 7:13pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Dec 26th, 2010 at 12:03pm:
I have nothing wrong with Sweat-Shop wages, especially worked by races whose main intention is to 'outbreed' everyone else.
What I do dissagree about is such cheap quality labour making products (fashion) that is considered expensive or $600 worth.
Only well paid quality workers making quality products deserve to charge expensive rates.
I think these Sweat-shop workers and their bosses deserve everything they get ...like sweet F-all from the Consumers. Cheap pood!

So what do you think of online sellers undercutting this local racket ?

I bet you these sweatshops are run by liberal voters Wink

Don't people realise that it's all for a good cause and that you have to help pay Frank Lowey's exorbitant rent Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 7:21pm

GREEDY BLOODY LANDLORDS!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 7:32pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Dec 26th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
GREEDY BLOODY LANDLORDS!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Can you ever say more than three words or is that too much for you ?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:46am

I suppose all these Sweat-shop employees can come to Australia and get a huge pay increase thanks to the Unions and the awards packages that scuttle all businesses here.

Nothing like poor quality Phillipino workers getting high Australian wages for providing the same crap at a more expensive price.

People who work Sweat-Shops generally deserve to be there and if Consumers pay high prices for their crap or prefer to pay pittance for what its worth to undercut other more expensive and probably higher quality stuff ...well thats how it goes.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:47pm

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:46am:
I suppose all these Sweat-shop employees can come to Australia and get a huge pay increase thanks to the Unions and the awards packages that scuttle all businesses here.

Nothing like poor quality Phillipino workers getting high Australian wages for providing the same crap at a more expensive price.

People who work Sweat-Shops generally deserve to be there and if Consumers pay high prices for their crap or prefer to pay pittance for what its worth to undercut other more expensive and probably higher quality stuff ...well thats how it goes.

what about wanting to become a CEO of an Australian company and getting a guaranteed division 1 lottery win each year Wink LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print