Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Marine parks next wave of water wars (Read 17065 times)
pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re:  Marine parks next wave of water wars
Reply #45 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 11:06am

It_is_the_Darkness wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011 at 10:50am:
Yeah - give me the 'practical' over the 'theoretical' any day.
Goat Island (world's first) and the Poor Knights Islands make a motsa for both Tourism and Fishing.

...next the Five Islands of Port Kembla/Wollongong ? Wink

I am talking about practical as well as theoretical. FD likes talking about practical evidence but all he can produce is a consensus statement signed by a few marine park advocates who aren't even fisheries scientists.

The Poor Knights Island marine park is in NZ. Furthermore the NTZ consists of a ring of 1 mile around a couple of islands. What evidence of a fishery wide benefit do you have? How does this give relevent evidence for your proposal to lock all NSW waters between 1 and 20 km out?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 11:19am

I have produced several consensus statements signed by many marine scientists. I have referenced entire books full of hard evidence on the practical benefits.

You respond with 'scientists' like Walter Starck who seems to do little more than sell home made DVDs on his home made website and make up grandiose claims about his achievements, none of which can actually be verified.

Sticking your head in the sand won't help you PJ. Marine Parks are being established all around the country. Whatever valid points you may have get completely lost in the nonsense you carry on with. All you achieve is to remove yourself completely from the political process by making it impossible for anyone to take you seriously.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 11:56am

I have produced several consensus statements signed by many marine scientists. I have referenced entire books full of hard evidence on the practical benefits.

That's what the 'consensus' statements are designed to do. Shut down debate by saying it's already decided. I don't know of any books you have referred to.

You respond with 'scientists' like Walter Starck who seems to do little more than sell home made DVDs on his home made website and make up grandiose claims about his achievements, none of which can actually be verified.

There not 'scientists' they are scientists and their credentials are impressive and easily verified. Prof Kearney for instance has received the Order of Australia for his contribution to fisheries.  

Sticking your head in the sand won't help you PJ. Marine Parks are being established all around the country. Whatever valid points you may have get completely lost in the nonsense you carry on with. All you achieve is to remove yourself completely from the political process by making it impossible for anyone to take you seriously.

Yawn, more of your bandwagon effect device.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011 at 7:42pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 4:07pm

Quote:
That's what the 'consensus' statements are designed to do. Shut down debate by saying it's already decided.

Look around PJ. It has already been decided that we are getting marine parks. However, that is not the purpose of the consensus statement. It was designed to shut down attempts to misrepresent the views of the scientific community, such as your claim that the majority of scientists involved in fisheries management support your views.

Quote:
I don't know of any books you have referred to.

Here is one of them:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1228717032/10#10

Quote:
There not 'scientists' they are scientists and their credentials are impressive and easily verified.

This is the thread where I asked you to verify some of Walter's grandiose claims about himself. As I recall, you were unable to. This is highly unusual (to say the least) for a genuine scientist. Surely you can appreciate the harm it does to your credibility when I can count on my fingers the number of 'scientists' who even come close to agreeing with you, and some of them turn out to be frauds. Then you turn around and say the majority agree with you.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1272776383/17#17

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 9:30pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Marine parks next wave of water wars
Reply #50 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 7:19pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print