Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australian of the year nominations (Read 1581 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Australian of the year nominations
Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:37pm

Julian Assange.

....  For bringing us truth and transparency when we needed it most.

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Re: Australian of the year nominations
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:42pm

Time when we needed it most = when there was a Labor government in power so you could criticise them after they inevitably give him flak for it

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:58pm

JC Denton wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:42pm:
Time when we needed it most = when there was a Labor government in power so you could criticise them after they inevitably give him flak for it

No, Julian Assange only began the Wikileaks project in 2006, given the wikileaks.org domain name was registered on 4 October 2006.

So I think it was simply a matter of timing, (Labor happened to be in at the height of his project)...and given he's leaked information which stands to compromise both sides of politics, Lib and Lab I would argue that he's been rather fair about it all.

Cool Be aware, it takes time for sites like this to establish themselves as a reliable source of information, and much funding too I'd say.

He can only host what others leak to him, naturally, current more recent events would be more likely to leak as they unfold.

If you started an online news-paper/whistle-blowers site, would you not be inclined to publish letters to the editor that were more recent, 'current'...or would you give past-tense more priority in accordance with your political slant?
I am quite sure Assange would be leaking recent dirt on Liberal too if they were in power...in fact, I'm quite sure he already has, it's just our media are focusing on what's to do with a current government...have you read all his sites leaks or only what our press care to delve into at present?

It's the governments he holds accountable, not individual party's/politicians per-say.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2010 at 10:19pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 10:19pm

I vote Hanif, he got the australian government into disrepute more the Assange.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:11pm

Quote:
Part of the material supplied to the Minister protected under a 503A referred to a chat room conversation between Haneef and his brother Shuaib in India on 2 July. Obviously Shuaib was also a cousin of the Ahmed brothers. In the conversation, Shuiab informed Haneef "that nothing has been found out about you" and asked when he would be getting out. Haneef replied "today". Shuaib asked whether he had permission from his hospital to leave and what he told the hospital to take leave. Haneef said that he had told them that his baby was born in an emergency caesarean. Shuaib said "tell them you have to as you have a daughter born, do not tell them anything else". Shuaib then told Haneef not to delay his departure and not to let anyone else use his number in Australia or give it to anyone. He added that "Aunty told that brother Kafeel used it; he is in some sort of project over there" and that "that disturbance (incident) which happened, it happened like this, Kafeel told that he will come and fix everything up". Shauib also said that there was no contact with Kafeel. The protected material concluded with the following paragraphs...

Re- the Haneef matter, I generally go with my gut feeling on these matters, and it's my heartfelt belief that whilst he may not have been intrinsically involved in acts of terrorism as such, I do believe he was in some way implicated, perhaps even financing others who were this or assisting them in some way. Served as some sort of facilitator,knowingly assisting others to engage in terror related acts.
Just because he's been pardoned under this particular government, isn't to say he's entirely innocent of involvement ..if only by mere association.

There have been plenty of cases here in Australia whereby police and our government intrinsically know an individual is involved though due to political reasons and a number of loop-holes in our flawed legal system that for some reason or another appears to serve our more devious crooks well, they manage to squirm free particularly if they are financial and in a position to appeal time and time again.

I wonder if He would be prepared to volunteer for a lie-detector test back home in India...I for one would volunteer myself for such a test if I were accused of such a terrible crime, this and knew I was innocent of all associated charges.

Ok, polygraphs aren't yet admissible in Australian courts, but they are often used to lend credibility to the accused in other nations, one being India if the defendant requests one...this and are used routinely in a number of states in the US for sex offenders, and for military purposes.

The UK will soon allow compulsory polygraph tests for convicted sex offenders released on license, and I think it's time we did too.

I believe the case was bungled beyond comprehension, rendering our charges against this 'specific' suspect pointless, beyond all doubt.

I also believe Labor knows he's involved, this and for political reasons is letting it go for their own political advantage.

They want to hope he doesn't get cocky and do something that may compromise their own verdict on this matter, because it's my feeling, he will do just that...in a round-about-way...and what a statement that would be to have been found guilty by a western nation, then after serving time to have finally been found innocent and awarded compensation, only to have inadvertently funnelled this very compensation pay-out into one final act of defiance.

I think they had it right the first time, this and think they might figure this out soon enough.

Whether or not we will learn of it if he does is another thing again, as it would be highly embarrassing for an outgoing government to be seen as quite literally cashing-up terrorists for political favouritism, to be seen as the 'kinder' more 'tolerant' party of the two.

Roll Eyes

Just my opinion, I may be wrong, just my gut tells me he was involved in some way ... however small the roll he played was.

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:14pm

I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

18/365, rain, hail or shine..... he's out there..... providing superior product to those who need it.

A true aussie legend.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:19pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:14pm:
I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

18/365, rain, hail or shine..... he's out there..... providing superior product to those who need it.

A true aussie legend.

Why would you nominate a grotty drug dealer, they are scum of the earth and destroy lives.

I hope you were joking...

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:24pm

mellie wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:19pm:
I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

A true aussie legend.

Why would you nominate a grotty drug dealer, they are scum of the earth and destroy lives.

Roll Eyes

Of course he's joking...

... Smack heads hate the sun.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:25pm

I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

A true aussie legend.

Roll Eyes

It is legal

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:41pm

Jaykaye_09 wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 11:24pm:
I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

A true aussie legend.

Roll Eyes

Of course he's joking...

... Smack heads hate the sun.

lol
Smiley...  Still, I cant help but think he was fishing for a gauged response...to see if I was tolerant to drug-peddling dirt rags or not.

I have my own personal reasons for why I loath drug dealers so much, drugs in general in fact,..this and have had first hand (indirect) experience of how they destroy friends, family's...lives, rob childhoods, Christmases, birthdays, fathers-days, mothers-days.

It's not the users I have it in for,  I feel an element of pity for a majority of them, this and realise they are obviously self-medicating to deal with some sort of underlying problem, it's the lazy immoral opportunistic dealers who make a crust  from other peoples misery that sickens me most.

If I had my way, any individual caught dealing drugs would have their every single possession confiscated, their homes and cars sold and the proceeds of this would be put to rehabilitation services Australia wide.

If they have families, so be it...award their children victims comp (put it into a college fund)..., this and make it clear that crime doesn't pay right from the very start.

Not in the long run.

Cool I would make a nasty cop or judge.

I'd re-introduce the death penalty for those guilty of the more despicable crimes ..and this would be one of them.

So long as it could be proven beyond doubt of course.i

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 4:41am

Surely Julia Gillard will attract a few votes for getting rid of the incompetent narcissist Kevin Rudd.

But the winner will have to be whoever gets rid of the totally useless Julia Gillard.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when conversing with turkeys

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 5:56am

mellie wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:37pm:
Julian Assange.

....  For bringing us truth and transparency when we needed it most.

Nominations have closed. Julian Assange did not go onto the next stage, although he did receive a certificate to acknowledge his representation  for being nominated. An email informing him of this has been sent to him and his Melbourne lawyer will pass the certificate on.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2010 at 6:01am by Ex Dame Pansi »  

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 7:26pm

I'd like to nominate Damir Dokic; a mild mannered self-effacing man with a great smile.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 8:53pm

Death by Lethal Injection to Drug Dealers, especially from the music/entertainment industry
and Firing Squad to Religious people who play with guns.

I think Assange has shown much towards what many people fear to do  - provide the truth in the face of nasty secrecy.
The USA is not the heir apparent to Military Power, nor is China - so to bring these false bullies down is doing the world a lot of good in the right direction towards the real military heir (Bolivia !)

But I think the Australian of the year must go to that dirty filthy Feral down there in the Tasmanian Forest of the world's tallest Trees who asked me mate (who was passing through) for a chainsaw so he could do some deadwood for firewood. Grin and warm himself up in very cold/damp conditions.

While most of us Australians live 'replicant' (BladeRunner) lives of other nations like the UK and the USA, these Ferals do their best for what really matters to us most - our Future. I'm not a Greenie, but I can see the sense of their efforts. Why short-change our assets to foreigners for petty cash and especially into the pockets of Australians who go and live overseas anyway ...just like those USA backed Chilian Dictators.

Also to the Sea Shepard crew - the methods are mad, but at least they are the only ones getting their finger out of their cake-holes and doing something about it - while most TV induced 'Pondlings' of Australians participate in a dull race known as Sydney to Hobart ...I would have thought a circumnavigation of Australia would be far more entertaining.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 9:24pm

I vote for John.

He's my smack dealer.

A true aussie legend.

Why would you nominate a grotty drug dealer

He MAY be quite a snappy dresser, who bathes frequently ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print