Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Are you paying your workers 'too much'? (Read 1546 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Are you paying your workers 'too much'?
Dec 22nd, 2010 at 1:15pm

Quote:

JANUARY, 2011

Are you paying too much?

A recent audit revealed an employer to be paying penalty rates way in excess of what they were legally obligated to! This situation arose because the employer was under the mistaken belief that they had to pay the penalties straight from the modern award. The reality was that the employer was only required to pay the transitional penalty which was significantly lower in this case.

If you would also like us to confirm your rates and make sure you are not paying too much (or too little), please contact us on 1300 766 380.

http://newsletters.almostanything.com.au/T/ViewEmail/r/DB2021CBC541C804/6741A688...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Are you paying your workers 'too much'?
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 1:17pm

Ooops, sorry Mods et al - this probably belongs elsewhere...

Embarrassed

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:35pm

Can I start using this site for free advertising as well?  Cheesy

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:41pm

LOL, Adel....I subscribe to their newsletter and I figured that: ordinary workers and employers alike had a right to know, what kinds of 'choices', 'opportunities' and 'solutions' they are subject to...

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:47pm

Equitist wrote on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:41pm:
I figured that: ordinary workers and employers alike had a right to know, what kinds of 'choices', 'opportunities' and 'solutions' they are subject to...

Roll Eyes

Or "incentives," "challenges", "growth strategies" and new ways to "move forward" in "the new millenium".

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:53pm

Wink

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 5:00pm

Oh why not, whats the worst that can happen?

http://www.wateraid.org/

Tongue

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 5:15pm

I'll need workers for when I start stripping out the old copper wires from the phone network and flogging them off to China and India.
The hours will be long, the work will be hard and thankless and the pay will be minmum..any takers?
Oh..and u will have to work at the dead of night because it wont be strictly legal   Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 6:02pm

adelcrow wrote on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 5:15pm:
I'll need workers for when I start stripping out the old copper wires from the phone network and flogging them off to China and India.
The hours will be long, the work will be hard and thankless and the pay will be minmum..any takers?
Oh..and u will have to work at the dead of night because it wont be strictly legal   Smiley

LOL...at the risk of striping this down to the obvious: it won't be strictly safe either - so they might literally work themselves to death...

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:50pm

The best advice I can give is DON`T employ people in Australia!

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 8:57am

Equitist wrote on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:41pm:
LOL, Adel....I subscribe to their newsletter and I figured that: ordinary workers and employers alike had a right to know, what kinds of 'choices', 'opportunities' and 'solutions' they are subject to...

Roll Eyes

Thy, it wouldnt hurt you to actually learn about the fair work act and these new awards.

To put it simply, things like night work and break shift penalities came in, while others went out.

Overtime exemption rates went from 30% back to 20%.

Also casual leave loading stayed at 25%, but casual annual leave loading has gone from 8.66% to zero.

So what the government has done has elected to phase all upward and downward changes over a 5 year period, at a rate of 20% a year.  This should mean employees who get newly introducted penalities dont smack the employer around, while employees who lose penalities dont also receive the same treatment, with the ALP hoping that wage increases will offset losses of allowances.

There is nothing sinister in it, nothing untoward.

Its all about understanding the new award and ensuring everyone meets their obligations.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:37pm

Looks like this employer coud afford to pay the correct penalty rates and did not require their workforce to subsidise the change for the interum period.

It is not compulsory to underpay if the company can afford the correct rate.

Most companies have no problem providing management their full bonuses, maybe they should stage them as well - 20% the first year etc?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:40pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:37pm:
Looks like this employer coud afford to pay the correct penalty rates and did not require their workforce to subsidise the change for the interum period.

Most companies have no problem providing management their full bonuses, maybe they should stage them as well - 20% the first year etc?

You're incredibly anti-management you know.

How many hour by hour workers do 14 hour days, stay on teleconf calls through the night and are on call throughout the xmas period to ensure we hit our numbers?

You seem to not realise just how much goes into middle management - it's not all golf and long lunches you know.

How much overtime do we get? $0.00.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 1:13pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:40pm:
You're incredibly anti-management you know.

Yes I know - I have been working in technical / management for over 20 years and clearly see what goes on around me. I have sat in meetings where decisions to give staff a 1% or 2% increase have been decieded with the primary motivation of justifying huge management increases, typically 15% min and over 30% on the cards. (just greed)

Quote:
How many hour by hour workers do 14 hour days, stay on teleconf calls through the night and are on call throughout the xmas period to ensure we hit our numbers?

Yes I am on call Xmas day, working Boxing day to give my team the day off and was working through till 3 am Tuesday night to complete a planned cut over.

Quote:
You seem to not realise just how much goes into middle management - it's not all golf and long lunches you know.

You would be surprised to find for how many it really is. My company has one guy who has been on the books for about 7 years and has never been on site - ever. During December we have a number of managers who have probably gone to more than 15 xmas parties.

Quote:
How much overtime do we get? $0.00.

I recently was offered to go back onto pay by time - I grabbed it - after a decade of working many hours for no return I will more than make up the slight reduction.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2010 at 1:25pm by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 10:14pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 23rd, 2010 at 12:37pm:

There is no underpay, its paying the correct rate.

Its about applying the awards as they stand with their transitional provisions correctly and legally.

Its not about paying more than you should if you can, but if you pay under its all hell to break loose.

Many employers have paid the higher rate not because they can afford to, but because they have misunderstood the changes and if you underpay you will be raped by the fair work tribunal.

DNA, you obviously havent had to deal with the fairwork changes in real detail, but its a mine field.  My payroll staff almost made the same mistakes these others have.  We looked at implementing without the transition and it was going to cost about $60k a year more.

Can we afford it, well yeah, it wont send us broke.  Will our staff work any better, provide better service and look after the best interests of the business as a result, not on your life.

You spead small increases here and there in allowances without being able to take in the reductions at the same time spead over a decent sized workforce the amounts add up.

You should always meet your obligations, and only pay higher for selected staff who perform at a higher level.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print