Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Almost 1,400 Arrested For Alcohol-Related Offences (Read 410 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Almost 1,400 Arrested For Alcohol-Related Offences
Dec 18th, 2010 at 5:46pm

Target on alcohol results in 1,364 arrests

The first night of the Australasian police exercise Operation Unite has resulted in the arrests of almost 1,400 people for alcohol-related offences.   Smiley

The Australia and New Zealand operation, which targets troublemakers and alcohol-related anti-social behaviour, is aimed at promoting a message for people to consider the impact on others of excessive drinking.

Among the 1,364 arrests on Friday, a 44-year-old Sydney taxi-driver carrying four passengers was found to have a blood-alcohol level 13 times above the prescribed limit after being pulled over for a random test.

He refused the test before being taken into custody, where he returned the .13 reading.

He was one of 19 motorists apprehended for drink-driving in NSW on Friday, along with a total of 375 people throughout the state for offences including serious assaults.

In one assault case, a man at The Rocks in inner-city Sydney received serious head injuries, while at Bondi, a man who had his ear torn off and his face badly cut was too intoxicated to provide police with a description of his attacker.

There were 95 assaults in total across the country.

In Victoria, police arrested 127 people for drunkenness while 13 were nabbed for assault.

In South Australia 91 people were arrested or reported for various offences, including two reported assaults and two liquor licensing breaches.

Operation Unite spokesperson Commissioner Andrew Scipione said recent research released by the Alcohol Education & Rehabilitation Foundation found that in Australia, someone dies each day because of someone else's drinking.

Alcohol was linked to almost 45,000 assaults a year.   Sad

"This operation is not about restricting the public from going out and having a good time, but about promoting a message that we all have to think about our behaviour and that of our mates and consider the impact it may have long after the night is over," Mr Scipione said.

The operation, which ends on Sunday, involves overt and covert licensing operations, random breath testing, mounted police, dog squad and additional police patrols.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Almost 1,400 Arrested For Alcohol-Related Offences
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 5:50pm

Excellent to see the police doing a good job.  Arrest all the drunken idiots and troublemakers.  A very good idea.    Smiley

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Almost 1,400 Arrested For Alcohol-Related Offences
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2010 at 6:11pm

Crookonit.
Quote:
This operation is not about restricting the public from going out and having a good time

It also catches up with good guys like me.
I feel that I can't go to some mates places & have a few beers without
risking my license.

One of my friends had only 2 pots of beer in the pub followed by
a pot of light beer & blew .05 at a booze bus.
He lost his license for 6 months & now his insurance costs have
gone through the roof to the point where he can't pay the bill.

If the cops would have allowed him to run up & down on the spot for 10 minutes he
might have blew .049 & got away with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print