Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Income Earners Unable To Pay Power Bills. (Read 723 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Low Income Earners Unable To Pay Power Bills.
Dec 17th, 2010 at 6:41am

JUST what does a NSW family have to do to ease the pain of their electricity bill?

Nowra mother Corry Morrison and her family became the face of the state's power struggle eight months ago when she said she had to choose between power for heating and power to cook.

Yesterday she told how she had gone even further, switching off lights and appliances and not using the heater.   Sad

Despite this, her power bill for the November quarter still jumped from $600 to $630.

An auditor found the only way she could further cut power usage was to buy a new energy-efficient fridge - but she can't afford one.   Sad

"I am doing all I can apart from buying a brand new fridge," she said.

"They [politicians] need to understand the everyday person is hurting. We don't have all the perks and wonderful things politicians have."

The Morrison family is not alone. Figures released by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) reveal thousands of families had reduced their usage but were still struggling.   Sad

IPART also warned that the Federal Government's proposed carbon pollution reduction scheme would "significantly" increase the cost of electricity in the long term.

Figures released by IPART yesterday showed power usage had fallen 6 per cent in the past four years, as many turned to gas and solar.

At the same time, 16 per cent of low-income earners said they were unable to pay their power bills. Most did not have airconditioners, dishwashers or a second fridge.   Sad

Treasurer Eric Roozendaal gave an "iron-clad" guarantee that increased competition following the State Government's electricity privatisation would put downward pressure on prices but IPART only said any increase in competition "may help" to lessen the impact of rising prices.

The report revealed households with EnergyAustralia would pay an extra 72 per cent for power between 2008 and 2013, Country Energy's rise would be 67 per cent while Integral customers would pay an extra 50 per cent.

As a result, one in five low-income families were spending 5 per cent of their income on electricity. Households paid an average 24.4 per cent more for electricity, gas, water, sewerage and public transport in the past two years, IPART found. Most of the increase was due to power price rises.    Sad

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Low Income Earners Unable To Pay Power Bills.
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 9:50am

Another power bill from thread.

I dont mind the topic, but why the multiple threads?

Are you determined to have a 1:1 ratio of threads to posts?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 10:27am

Electricity prices are becoming a real dilemma.

I  have not used many appliances-  one being the air conditioner for a long time . We have no microwave, no dish washer, no trivial gadgets that can suck power. We have an  Energy efficient fridge, TV, washing machine. etc.  All get minimal use except Fridge and hot water.

But it seems the less we are using the higher our bills are rising in price.

This is one area which scares and worries me whole-heartly as I do not  see an end to the rising prices and progress fast enough in cheaper solutions that DON’T cost a fortune to obtain in the out lay.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 11:48am

Yep and thats not all to go up. Expect EVERYTHING to sky rocket.
So it won't matter how much you resist from buying WANTS, the NEEDS will scuttle you anyway.
So careful what you buy - because the hidden costs will cut you down.

...not much Xmas lighting out this year.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2010 at 1:22pm

Quote:
Electricity prices are becoming a real dilemma.

I  have not used many appliances-  one being the air conditioner for a long time . We have no microwave, no dish washer, no trivial gadgets that can suck power. We have an  Energy efficient fridge, TV, washing machine. etc.  All get minimal use except Fridge and hot water.

But it seems the less we are using the higher our bills are rising in price.

This is one area which scares and worries me whole-heartly as I do not  see an end to the rising prices and progress fast enough in cheaper solutions that DON’T cost a fortune to obtain in the out lay.

Well if you are still getting higher ones most people are really copping it.

Most have all those appliances you speak of.

If you think it hurts now, just wait for your carbon tax.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print