Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Should Alcohol Be Illegal (Read 1901 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Should Alcohol Be Illegal
Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:11am

Blitz on alcohol-related violence

Nearly half of hospital admissions on weekends in Australia are alcohol- and drug-related, a leading trauma surgeon said on the eve of a trans-Tasman crackdown on alcohol-fuelled incidents.

Doctors and police have joined forces to announce the second Operation Unite for the year, with patrols across Australia and New Zealand targeting cities and regional centres in a pre-Christmas blitz this weekend.

De Villiers Smit, the director of The Alfred hospital's Emergency and Trauma Centre in Melbourne, said up to 40 per cent of hospital cases on Friday and Saturday nights were drug and alcohol-related.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"It's well established that there's a major link between alcohol, drugs and street violence, domestic violence and motor vehicle accidents," he told reporters.

"The consequences of alcohol abuse are just phenomenal ... the visit to the emergency department is not the end of an alcohol-fuelled event.

"Alcohol-related trauma and violence often can result in ongoing rehabilitation that can take months and sometimes up to years.

"The psychological effects of alcohol- and drug-related trauma on the person, the victim and even the community, friends and family is immeasurable."

Victorian premier and teetotaller Ted Baillieu urged people to regard binge drinking as "not the norm".

"It's also about the personal damage to an individual's health, it's about the onset of depression, anxiety, it's about the development of brains in young people," he told reporters.

"We have to send a strong message about binge drinking."

NSW police chief Andrew Scipione says he's fed up with people who can't handle their booze, warning wrongdoers will be asking for trouble during this weekend.

"If you drink yourself into a stupor, then you are asking for trouble," said Mr Scipione, the Australasian spokesman for Operation Unite.

"Stop when you know you have had enough, and you won't get into trouble."

"I am really fed up with the regular reports of senseless assaults, glassings and avoidable accidents that cross my desk because people can't handle their alcohol and realise when they have had enough.

"My officers will do everything in their power to deal with this problem, but when it comes down to it, it is a matter of personal responsibility ...

In NSW alone, more than 2000 additional uniformed and plain-clothes police will be on duty.

The last Operation Unite in September resulted in 2432 arrests in Australia and New Zealand over two nights.

This weekend's large-scale operation will see officers out in force focusing on licensed venues, entertainment precincts and public transport.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/blitz-on-alcoholrelated-violence-20101214-18wr8.html

It would be much cheaper on tax payers ... more available hospital beds ... less family pressure ... and less crime if Alcohol is outlawed.

So should we outlaw this dangerous drug alcohol?

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Re: Should Alcohol Be Illegal
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:24am

Ban television.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:33am by JC Denton »  

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:45am

It wouldn't work Greens, it's been tried after all and it failed miserably...

Remember the Volstead Act??

Alcohol is too easy to make at home, so a ban wouldn't do much, except cause lose of revenue in taxes and pubs,clubs and restaurants...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:51am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:45am:

Alcohol is too easy to make at home, so a ban wouldn't do much, except cause lose of revenue in taxes and pubs,clubs and restaurants...

Revenue verses cost of the effect of alcohol on society would mean the revenue is a fraction of the cost.

Also if the police are unable to enact the law, then make the sentences stiffer and arm the police with greater powers to search for stills and brewing equipment. Other avenue is random testing of the public for alcohol.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:51am

I think the key word should be MODERATION.  Its a shame more people don't practice it.  Also more hotels, clubs, bars, should have whats know as responsible serving of alcohol, and practice it, not just say it.   After all its just as much down to them as well.   I mean, if you see someone just about ready to fall over, you know they have had to much to drink.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:17am

____ wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:51am:

Revenue verses cost of the effect of alcohol on society would mean the revenue is a fraction of the cost.

Also if the police are unable to enact the law, then make the sentences stiffer and arm the police with greater powers to search for stills and brewing equipment. Other avenue is random testing of the public for alcohol.

But what about the millions of Australians who manage to go out on the weekends, drink responsibly and don't cause any trouble, or the people who have a quite drink at home???

Why punish ALL of those people, because a tiny percentage of yobbos can't cope with drinking???

Even on the worst nights, the number of violent drunks is never much more than 10 or 15% of the patrons at any club or pub...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:20am

Quote:
I think the key word should be MODERATION.  Its a shame more people don't practice it.  Also more hotels, clubs, bars, should have whats know as responsible serving of alcohol, and practice it, not just say it.   After all its just as much down to them as well.   I mean, if you see someone just about ready to fall over, you know they have had to much to drink.  

Unfortunately, the responsible service of alcohol laws are so vague as to be useless (in NSW at least)....and don't stop friends from buying drinks for intox people...

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 8:16am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:17am:

But what about the millions of Australians who manage to go out on the weekends, drink responsibly and don't cause any trouble, or the people who have a quite drink at home???

Why punish ALL of those people, because a tiny percentage of yobbos can't cope with drinking???

Even on the worst nights, the number of violent drunks is never much more than 10 or 15% of the patrons at any club or pub...

Same argument for all drugs ... many use without breaking other laws than using drugs that some people see as illegal.

Should it be a level playing field ... either make alcohol (and tobacco) illegal, or make all drugs legal?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 8:19am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:20am:
Quote:
I think the key word should be MODERATION.  Its a shame more people don't practice it.  Also more hotels, clubs, bars, should have whats know as responsible serving of alcohol, and practice it, not just say it.   After all its just as much down to them as well.   I mean, if you see someone just about ready to fall over, you know they have had to much to drink.  

Unfortunately, the responsible service of alcohol laws are so vague as to be useless (in NSW at least)....and don't stop friends from buying drinks for intox people...

Also the motivation for businesses is turnover since this drives profit.

Telling a retail outlet, stop selling your products to the consumer, even if the consumer is begging for it ... it is anti capitalism.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 8:53am

____ wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 8:16am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:17am:

Same argument for all drugs ... many use without breaking other laws than using drugs that some people see as illegal.

Should it be a level playing field ... either make alcohol (and tobacco) illegal, or make all drugs legal?

No that arguement doesn't work.....the drug itself is illegal, therefore making or even possessing it is a crime, not the actions that take place under it's influence..
Alcohol IS legal, and it's only some actions carried out under it's influence that are illegal......An entirely different situation....

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:05pm

No, i'm not in favour of more organised crime. I'm also not in favour of saccumbing to the minority.

I also enjoy beer.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 9:23am

Alcohol gets the blame for a lot of late night violence, but after seeing the regular clean up on Sundays and the patrons on the night, I cant tell you it isnt the alcohol that is driving a lot of this.

Its the crap going up their noses.

Alcohol gets the blame because its the easy thing to detect.  If they made it mandatory for thoses grabbed for violence to undertake a drug test you would be horrified at the high levels.

The party drugs are a far more significant factor in this than what grog could ever hope to be.

Oh, and when staff find drugs and ring the cops, their answer is "just flush them".

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 9:59am

Maybe it should be banned for those found guilty of alcohol fueled violence. How would you police it though?

Some drugs, like alcohol and tobacco, are traditions associated with our culture, and alcohol is also a drug associated with the sacred rituals of Christianity, so it's unlikely to be banned. I'd suggest that most politicians and indeed most voters drink, so any discussion of banning it is academic.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:09pm

muso wrote on Dec 16th, 2010 at 9:59am:
Maybe it should be banned for those found guilty of alcohol fueled violence. How would you police it though?

Some drugs, like alcohol and tobacco, are traditions associated with our culture, and alcohol is also a drug associated with the sacred rituals of Christianity, so it's unlikely to be banned. I'd suggest that most politicians and indeed most voters drink, so any discussion of banning it is academic.

A lot of licenced premises  do 'try' to ban alcohol for those people who've be come violent...but the only thing they can do is ban them from the premises (although a lot of clubs/pubs now use reciprocal bans...)
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:24pm by gizmo_2655 »  

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:41pm

I would like to see alcohol off-limits to those under 21, just my personal view, given research shows the human brain doesn't stop growing until about age 21 or 22, so I figure 21 is a fair compromise.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print