Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shopping Centre Cleaners Push For Pay Rise. (Read 1885 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Shopping Centre Cleaners Push For Pay Rise.
Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:04pm

Shopping centre cleaners will wage a Christmas campaign to pressure one of Australia's largest cleaning companies for a pay rise.

On Wednesday, cleaners will campaign at Westfield's Pitt Street mall in Sydney and outside cleaning contractor Spotless' Queensland, Victoria and South Australia offices.

Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union (LHMU) national secretary Louise Tarrant said Spotless had been totally unreasonable and was treating shopping centre cleaners like second-class citizens by refusing to negotiate pay and safety issues.   Sad

"Spotless signed up to the LHMU's clean start agreement in CBDs which delivers fair pay and better jobs for city cleaners but Spotless refuse to even meet cleaners to discuss the problems shopping centre cleaners face," Ms Tarrant said.    Sad

Spotless and Westfield were prospering with Australia's strong economy, Ms Tarrant said.

"This is a slap in the face for cleaners. They work so hard, especially at Christmas time, to make customers' shopping experiences good."

Ruth Sorbello, a shopping centre cleaner said she was campaigning for a better life, job security, fair treatment, respect, safer worksites and better pay.

"It's almost impossible to live on just $16 an hour and bring up a family.    Sad

"Such a small wage makes it hard to get by and keep up with rent, bills and food.

"There won't be many presents under the tree this year for my children. It won't be a very merry Christmas."   Sad

Comment is being sought from Westfield and Spotless.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Shopping Centre Cleaners Push For Pay Rise.
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Must be another good company to work for.  Not even prepared to meet and discuss the problems.    Sad

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Quote:
Must be another good company to work for.  Not even prepared to meet and discuss the problems.    Sad  

They might not see it as a problem.

At $16 they are above the minimum wage.

What award are they covered under?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:16pm

The CEOs award I think.    Smiley

IP Logged

nefertiti
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:18pm

You do realise that most of these people only work 15 -20 hours a week and then can claim the Dole plus get the Heath Care Card, discounts on everything, etc. Legally and then be put on the waiting list for a Government 4-bedroom house at minimal rent?  Tongue

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Quote:
The CEOs award I think.    Smiley

It was a fair question to ask.

If we knew what award they were covered under then we can determine whats actually going on.

All we get is a bit of sooking because they wont meet with them without an real detail.

Maybe spotless's position is - "thats the award and we wont negoiate away from it" which they are able to do.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:24pm

Well they would be waiting a long time wouldn't they?.   I think its around a ten year waiting list.    Sad  

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:29pm

What - you want to reward these people for coming into our country illegally, taking our jobs and tax dollars, and doing a sh!tty job at cleaning up?

If they stayed back in Arabia they're not going to get $16 an hour, I'll tell you that now. They should be bloody grateful we're giving them anything at all.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:31pm

I have looked at the Maps, and cannot find Arabia.  Where is that, you Idiot?

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:35pm

There was no mention of were they came from.  As far as we are concerned they are Australian workers.  I am sure doing a very good job, under difficult circumstances.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:31pm:
I have looked at the Maps, and cannot find Arabia.  Where is that, you Idiot?

What are you, a bloody geography teacher? How the bugger should I know where it is? More to the point - why should I care?

We fought these front bottoms and now they're coming in and taking over the shop. If that's what you want, son, find Arabia on the fvckin map and go and live there yourself.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm

Quote:
There was no mention of were they came from.  As far as we are concerned they are Australian workers.  I am sure doing a very good job, under difficult circumstances.    

Yeah? You ever seen an Aussie cleaning a shopping centre? Not bloody likely.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:40pm

Quote:

I see it all the time.

Aussies would be more than happy to do these jobs if they were offered them.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:44pm

JC Denton wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:40pm:
Quote:

I see it all the time.

Aussies would be more than happy to do these jobs if they were offered them.

Exactly. Now you're getting to the truth. They save these jobs for the losers. Of course an Aussie'd do the job, but we haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell of getting our foot in the door.

Guess where that Westfields front bottoms from.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:47pm

Quote:
Exactly. Now you're getting to the truth. They save these jobs for the losers. Of course an Aussie'd do the job, but we haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell of getting our foot in the door.

I know you're making fun, but I do get that impression sometimes. At least, I got that impression when I was looking for a job.

Restricted sample I know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print