Who cares, not me    
  1 (8.3%)
whats in it for me    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 12
« Created by: skippy. on: Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:26pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
End Mandatory Detention (Read 4620 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
End Mandatory Detention
Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:12pm

Human rights body blasts detention facilities

The Australian Human Rights Commission is calling on the Federal Government to immediately stop housing asylum seekers at a Darwin motel.

In Darwin, asylum seekers are being held at the immigration detention centre, the Airport Lodge and the Asti Motel in the centre of town.

Following a series of riots and a break out at the detention centre, the commission inspected all three immigration facilities in September.

Commission president Catherine Branson, QC, says the Asti Motel is not an appropriate place to be held in detention, particularly for children.

"When we were there, there were unaccompanied minors who had never left the Asti Motel," she said.

"It's small, it's cramped."

She said a number of asylum seekers have attempted self harm.

During the visit, she says the commission found 20 per cent of asylum seekers had been in detention for more than nine months.

"Lengthy and indefinite detention has very bad impacts on people's mental health and particularly children," she said.

She is calling for an immediate end to mandatory detention.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/14/3092900.htm?section=justin

Haven't worked out how to add a poll ... could someone add it please.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2010 at 5:00pm by ____ »  

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Re: End Mandadory Detention
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Human rights body blasts detention facilities

The Australian Human Rights Commission is calling on the Federal Government to immediately stop housing asylum seekers at a Darwin motel.

In Darwin, asylum seekers are being held at the immigration detention centre, the Airport Lodge and the Asti Motel in the centre of town.

Following a series of riots and a break out at the detention centre, the commission inspected all three immigration facilities in September.

Commission president Catherine Branson, QC, says the Asti Motel is not an appropriate place to be held in detention, particularly for children.

"When we were there, there were unaccompanied minors who had never left the Asti Motel," she said.

"It's small, it's cramped."

She said a number of asylum seekers have attempted self harm.

During the visit, she says the commission found 20 per cent of asylum seekers had been in detention for more than nine months.

"Lengthy and indefinite detention has very bad impacts on people's mental health and particularly children," she said.

She is calling for an immediate end to mandatory detention.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/14/3092900.htm?section=justin

Haven't worked out how to add a poll ... could someone add it please.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:42pm

What a piss weak poll woody.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:44pm

How about we just send them straight home to their home country then quick smart if they think the way we deal with our immigration process is not to their liking.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:48pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 1:42pm:
What a piss weak poll woody.

I set the poll,as requested, are you the one who voted no but was afraid to say so?

Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:21pm

chuck them back in the sinking boat they came over in and tow them well out to sea.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:22pm

So the parents broke out of detention and LEFT their children behind?

Or did the parents put their children on a smuggler's boat by themselves??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:10pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:21pm:
chuck them back in the sinking boat they came over in and tow them well out to sea.

Bit difficult if it's a Qantas a380

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:22pm

____ wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:10pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 2:21pm:

Bit difficult if it's a Qantas a380

Oh but the plane people are different dontcha know? besides thats how sprint got here himself.

Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:00pm

I know people who have not just attempted but committed self harm.
I also indirectly know people who have committed suicide.
The living standards and general filth that some people survive in around Darwin i'm sure is a step down from the Asti motel. People of all races continue the cycle of neglect and dysfunction in Darwin and around the country because society does not give a rats (which is normal, as it is a constant the world over). Some have survived through severe trauma that is most definitely comparable to any refugee/immigrant. Its almost like the advocates want us to believe that psychological issues only exist inside the fence. We should be that guilty about the quality of our community’s that at the very sound of a tear drop we should all hang our heads in shame. We here in Australia are that good that once they land on our soil these issues surly have to be our fault, the human condition has absolutely nothing to do with it. Yes this area needs some attention, what it doesen’t need is more extremism.

What do we replace mandatory detention with? And who is going to be responsible for it?

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:07pm

Plus please explain what xenophobia has to do with processing and detention? We are serving their human rights by processing them, detention is a fairly standard part of processing across the world is it not? What about a governments responsibility towards its current citizens... oh i forgot, we're all terrible xenophobes.

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:27pm

jame-e wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:07pm:
Plus please explain what xenophobia has to do with processing and detention? We are serving their human rights by processing them, detention is a fairly standard part of processing across the world is it not? What about a governments responsibility towards its current citizens... oh i forgot, we're all terrible xenophobes.

how about asking all Greenies to take responsibility for them.. I have often thought its up to the bleeding hearts to open their homes and their wallets however they never seem to put that idea into a policy motion..

surely bobbys got room for a family or two.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: End Mandatory Detention
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm

codswal wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:27pm:

how about asking all Greenies to take responsibility for them.. I have often thought its up to the bleeding hearts to open their homes and their wallets however they never seem to put that idea into a policy motion..

I'm happy to put money into ending mandatory sentencing, if you pay for the open ended war in Afghanistan, that probably caused some of these refugees in the first place.

And it is curious to note, compassion to fellow humans is now bleeding hearts to the heartless. So why do you support the afghan war again?

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:46pm

____ wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm:

I'm happy to put money into ending mandatory sentencing, if you pay for the open ended war in Afghanistan, that probably caused some of these refugees in the first place.

And it is curious to note, compassion to fellow humans is now bleeding hearts to the heartless. So why do you support the afghan war again?

How and replaced by what?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 5:02pm

jame-e wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:46pm:
____ wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 4:38pm:

How and replaced by what?

By shifting my share of tax money that goes to the open ended Afghanistan war to refugees.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print