Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pike River Mine Explosion (Read 975 times)
JC Denton
Gold Member

Pike River Mine Explosion
Nov 24th, 2010 at 5:40pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/8155814/New-Zealand-mine-explosion-all-miners-believed-dead-after-huge-second-blast.html

A massive second explosion at the Pike River mine in New Zealand has extinguished all hope of bringing the 29 missing miners back to the surface alive.

This is sad. R.I.P. Sad

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Pike River Mine Explosion
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 5:59pm

My deep sympathy goes out to the families involved. What can you say? I know we don't know them personally, but sad for men to die in that way.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:50am

I had a feeling that they may have been gone after the first explosion.
I'm not sure if they'll be able to make a conclusion on that, but hopefully they can be recovered soon so that the families can give them a proper burial.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:58am

When I heard about it, I thought exactly the same, but where there is a glimmer of hope, you can't really say what you think. Very sad. The youngest was 17, and it was his first day at work.

It reminds me of the Moura No. 2 underground coal mine on 7 August 1994. In that case rescue and recovery attempts were abandoned after a second, more violent explosion occurred 18 hours later. Eleven miners' lives were lost and the mine was sealed at the surface as a permanent memorial.
(not far from where I live)

Now they are looking at underground mining in Moura again. Memories are very short.  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:59am

Amadd wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:50am:
I had a feeling that they may have been gone after the first explosion.
I'm not sure if they'll be able to make a conclusion on that, but hopefully they can be recovered soon so that the families can give them a proper burial.

Armadd,  I tend to think the same way, and my other half said they probably didn't know anything about it as the blast would have killed them instantly.  That would be be the ONLY comfort the families would have it that was the case.  As for getting them out -  maybe the mine will be their final resting place.

It's an awful tragedy, and my heart goes out to all the family and friends of the deceased.

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Indeed, this is a terribly sad time for the loved ones of the miners - and their communities...

It is unfortunate, that the hopes of the families were so strongly reinforced - when from the outset all the physical and chemical signs at the mine suggested that the miners' survival was unlikely...

Unlike gold mines, coal mines are inherently volatile environments and the rescue and recovery organisers were right not to risk further lives in a futile rescue attempt - but the cruelly-dashed hope has intensified the anger component of the grief...

Then again, if not for the belated closure brought by the second explosion, the anguish of the loved ones would probably have been drawn out even more - as they would each have been gradually forced to try to face the harsh realities in their own time, after being given false hope for several days, and at a time when they were extra-stressed and over-tired...

The Moura families never not so far down the track, in coming to accept the inevitably of their loss, as the second explosion there occurred much closer to the original one - they were therefore spared the false hope of a drawn-out rescue - and I expect that they have ultimately faired far better in their grieving than their Pike River family counterparts ever will...

My heart goes out to the loved ones - and may the lost miners all rest in peace

Sad

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:31pm

muso wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:58am:
When I heard about it, I thought exactly the same, but where there is a glimmer of hope, you can't really say what you think. Very sad. The youngest was 17, and it was his first day at work.

It reminds me of the Moura No. 2 underground coal mine on 7 August 1994. In that case rescue and recovery attempts were abandoned after a second, more violent explosion occurred 18 hours later. Eleven miners' lives were lost and the mine was sealed at the surface as a permanent memorial.

Now they are looking at underground mining in Moura again. Memories are very short.  

Memories short or pockets deep?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:31pm:

Sometimes  the fact is that a mine is the lifeblood of a town.

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 2:05pm

Third explosion at Pike River mine
Posted 2 minutes ago

ABC news just in.

There has been a third explosion at the Pike River coal mine in New Zealand, where 29 men are presumed dead underground.

The blast is said to have happened shortly after 3:30pm (local time).

The New Zealand Herald is reporting that it lasted for around 23 seconds.

It comes just two days after a second violent explosion at the mine left no hope of survival for the men who had been trapped underground since last Friday.

A spokesman for the mine has been quoted as saying the blast was smaller than the previous two.

It comes as authorities attempt to mount an operation to recover the bodies of the missing men.

The rescue and recovery effort has been repeatedly hampered by poisonous gases and the threat of underground explosions.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 2:14pm

nichy wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 7:58pm:
Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:31pm:

Sometimes  the fact is that a mine is the lifeblood of a town.

There has been plenty of coal mining in Moura, but not underground. It has all been open cut. Now a new company (Belevedere Resources) is proposing a new underground mine - the first since the 1997 disaster. It's an area where coal seam gas is produced in large quantities.

The annual coal and country festival still hosts competitions like roof bolting and coal shovelling, but the participants are usually from other towns. Most of the miners in Moura are either truck drivers or wash plant operators.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print