Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Eating well on a tight budget-recipes (Read 5574 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Eating well on a tight budget-recipes
Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:49am

Just about anyone can throw something reasonable together if they have enough time and money, though how many people struggle to produce a meal for their family that's all of the following?

fast/easy, low fat, nutritious, flavoursome, and super cheap

In my experience, there are plenty of recipes which satisfy a couple of the above requirements, though finding recipes which are all the above isn't always easy.  Ie, you know those 4 ingredients or less recipes?

Well, they might be easy, and taste OK, though they often lack nutritional value, flavour,  are often high in fat/kilojoules this and expensive, as you are paying for the luxury of convenience.

I would like to challenge you all to add a recipe which meets all the above requirements for those who want to be able to eat well and do so on a tight budget.

Malay cock'n'rice

Serves 4

• 1 Packet of Continental 'classics' Malaysian creamy Satay recipe base, (powder)

• 16 Chicken wings

• 1 cup of baby frozen peas

• 640 ml rice (roughly two and a half cups )

• large orange sweet potato/kumera peeled and cubed into 4cmX4 pieces.

1) Preheat your oven to 200c and line a baking dish with grease proof paper sprayed with a little olive/veg oil spray. If you have a non-stick baking tray or pan, then you could simply spray the pan with a little oil.

2)In a large bowl, mix together satay powder and just enough water to form a thick satay paste, thick enough to cling to the chicken and sweet potato mix. Not runny though...mix it to a curry paste or very thick yoghurt  like consistency.

3) Mix chicken wings and sweet potato cubes through the satay paste mixture (coating well) then lay out chicken and cubes in backing dish and roast at 200c for 1 hour (or until golden and sticky/crispy) turning both sweet potato and chicken wings about half way through.

4) Start your rice about half way through cooking chicken and sweet potato, and in the last minute before rice is boiled/steamed, add your peas. ..then once cooked, fluff up pea and rice mixture with a fork before serving.

Serve golden cubes of caramelised sweet potato over crispy satay chicken wings on bed of fluffed rice and peas.

Sweet potato looks like this, choose the one which is orange on the inside, not white...as it contains beta carotine, which is very healthy.

Smileyii

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2010 at 9:03am by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Eating well on a tight budget-recipes
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:55am

Beans on toast Mellie.

When I was at university, I lived off that.

I spent a little under 45p per day on that.

I then went and spent 100 pounds in the pub though, so it kinda blew that idea and I still had to keep running to dad for money....

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:59am

I created this thread for the purpose of assisting people who are doing it tough to eat well on a budget.

It's not easy coming up with affordable recipes....  for those on a budget, but I think it's a true test of cooking skills, because like I said, it takes skill to be able to slap something together which meets all the above requirements...this and come home with change in your pocket.

Smiley Baked beans on toast is really slumming it, unless it's for breakfast or lunch.

People on low incomes can eat well, and the purpose of this thread is to show them how to do so with a little dignity and interest.

I want to turn peasant/budget cooking into an art-form, ...as I am tired of pretentious cooking shows which only serve to intimidate people who cant afford ingredients laden meals into buying garbage or blowing their budgets. Quite simply, most people don't have the time/desire to whip up a fatty soufflé after work.

I find many of these TV cooking programs are made for wealthy bored home makers, and master-chef wanna-be's not ordinary Australians on a budget wanting to prepare flavoursome healthy affordable meals for themselves and or their family's.

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2010 at 9:15am by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 9:43am

Rice paper rolls.

Now, these are so versatile you can deviate from the recipe that's always on the back of the rice paper wraps packet, ie, tonight I'm stuffing mine with large sweet chilly strips, mint, coriander, rice vermacilli noodles, 8 Australian tiger prawns which I have marinated in an oil-free Thai coconut dressing,(purchased from Asian section of supermarket where the rice papers are) spring onions, bean shoots, shredded carrot, ..and I'll be making 3 different dipping sauces to serve them with, and purchased 3 limes today for $1.

All this cost me $16, and this will serve at least 4....AT LEAST!

Smiley Grant it, I already had coriander and mint in my garden,but basically, you can stuff them with what you like, even cold shredded chicken if prawns aren't your thing.

To give you some idea as to how affordable they are...

Wai Wai rice vermicilli noodles 200g $1.20
Erawan rice papers 16  250g $2.27
Bean shoots 250g  $1.90
Mae ploy salad dressing 280ml  $2.37
8 Australian black tiger Prawns $5.72
pre-pack bag of carrots 1k $1.95
3 red Chilly (large red long ones) 78c
Spring onions (optional) $2.48

Now, I probably could have done this even cheaper had I gone to Woolworths, though I was on foot, so went to Coles.

Basically, a really healthy, yummy, cheap, simple, fast, low fat meal for under $20.

If you use chicken and omit some of the extra ingredients, this and just stuck to the recipe on the back of the rice papers packet, you could  do it for even less.

I will toast some sesame seeds to add to the vege mix before rolling them up also.
This and I have a Lebanese cucumber in the fridge I will use up too.

For a vegetarian version, use avocado, omelet (egg) strips ...or just make vege ones if you like.

Basically, get creative, and stuff them with what you like.

My kids love them!

Ps:
This Thai coconut dressing $2.37 with lime in it is oil free, and is thickened with coconut syrup and doubles up as a marinade for your prawns or chicken meat and as a dipping sauce.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:05am by mellie »  

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:07pm

mellie wrote on Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:49am:
Sweet potato looks like this, choose the one which is orange on the inside, not white...as it contains beta carotine, which is very healthy.

Smiley

Yes, that's all very well, but can you please advise on how someone is meant to know what colour a sweet potato is on the inside before you purchase it.

sweet_potato.gif (73 KB | 69 )
sweet_potato.gif

It's hard to soar like an eagle when conversing with turkeys

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:15pm

Miss Anne Dryst wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:07pm:

Smiley

Yes, that's all very well, but can you please advise on how someone is meant to know what colour a sweet potato is on the inside before you purchase it.

scratch the skin gently with a fingernail......IF the handling hasn't already done so....
Also on the ends, the packing staff at the factories often cut the roots off so it's fairly easy to tell..

White sweet potato is very very hard to find these days.....it's mostly orange (Gold) sweet potato in shops..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:17pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:15pm:

Smiley

scratch the skin gently with a fingernail......IF the handling hasn't already done so....
Also on the ends, the packing staff at the factories often cut the roots off so it's fairly easy to tell..

White sweet potato is very very hard to find these days.....it's mostly orange (Gold) sweet potato in shops..

So youre suggesting that you have to damage the shop item.
As any ones damaged already wouldn't be selected by a consumer.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:18pm

mellie wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 9:43am:
Rice paper rolls.

http://floridaprivatechef.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/RicePaperRolls_B.37...

Now, these are so versatile you can deviate from the recipe that's always on the back of the rice paper wraps packet, ie, tonight I'm stuffing mine with large sweet chilly strips, mint, coriander, rice vermacilli noodles, 8 Australian tiger prawns which I have marinated in an oil-free Thai coconut dressing,(purchased from Asian section of supermarket where the rice papers are) spring onions, bean shoots, shredded carrot, ..and I'll be making 3 different dipping sauces to serve them with, and purchased 3 limes today for $1.

Smiley Grant it, I already had coriander and mint in my garden,but basically, you can stuff them with what you like, even cold shredded chicken if prawns aren't your thing.

Bean shoots 250g  $1.90

Now, I probably could have done this even cheaper had I gone to Woolworths, though I was on foot, so went to Coles.

Basically, a really healthy, yummy, cheap, simple, fast, low fat meal for under $20.

If you use chicken and omit some of the extra ingredients, this and just stuck to the recipe on the back of the rice papers packet, you could  do it for even less.

http://ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rice_paper_rolls_m...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/683608189_c20cd548cb.jpg

I will toast some sesame seeds to add to the vege mix before rolling them up also.

For a vegetarian version, use avocado, omelet (egg) strips ...or just make vege ones if you like.

My kids love them!

Ps:
This Thai coconut dressing $2.37 with lime in it is oil free, and is thickened with coconut syrup and doubles up as a marinade for your prawns or chicken meat and as a dipping sauce.

http://www.woolworths.co.nz/Content/ProductImages/big/8850367990443.jpg

I must have a giggle mellei......you're closer to the "feed a family of 4 for $10.00" than the guy on the Coles ads.....His recipes cost about $40.00, yours is only $16....

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:21pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:18pm:
Rice paper rolls.

http://floridaprivatechef.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/RicePaperRolls_B.37...

Bean shoots 250g  $1.90

http://ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rice_paper_rolls_m...

My kids love them!

Ps:

I must have a giggle mellei......you're closer to the "feed a family of 4 for $10.00" than the guy on the Coles ads.....His recipes cost about $40.00, yours is only $16....

True
Wonder if Mellie provides a home delivery service and actual catering.

Would appeal to 10 thumb cookers like me.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:23pm

Miss Anne Dryst wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:17pm:

Smiley

No I'm suggesting looking....generally speaking ALL the items like these in a single bin will be the same variety.....so search through, find one that's had the skin scratched by handling/transport. IF that doesn't work, rub the skin yourself.....it really doesn't matter if you damage it, providing you buy it...

You might need to simply wipe some dirt off the narrow end of the sweet potato to tell......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:24pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Nov 24th, 2010 at 8:55am:
Beans on toast Mellie.

When I was at university, I lived off that.

I spent a little under 45p per day on that.

I then went and spent 100 pounds in the pub though, so it kinda blew that idea and I still had to keep running to dad for money....

At least you had your priorities right.   Grin

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:28pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:23pm:

Smiley

No I'm suggesting looking....generally speaking ALL the items like these in a single bin will be the same variety.....so search through, find one that's had the skin scratched by handling/transport. IF that doesn't work, rub the skin yourself.....it really doesn't matter if you damage it, providing you buy it...

You might need to simply wipe some dirt off the narrow end of the sweet potato to tell......

Ok thanks
But you can imagine that if you damage it and you dont like it.
the bin would be full of stale off potatoes.

What about the stem, that helps for other fruits and vegies.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:29pm

Rice paper rolls.

Bean shoots 250g  $1.90

My kids love them!

Ps:

Yum, Mellie...you've got my mouth watering...

I once had some fantastic rice paper nibbles at a trivia night - I was told that the taste secret was to include apple strips...

If you're game to try the apple addition to your own recipes, I'd be curious to know what you think...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:32pm

Miss Anne Dryst wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:28pm:

The 'stem' is also edible as a green leaf vegie - if you grow your own...

http://hubpages.com/hub/talbos-potent-sweet-potato-leaves

Quote:
Highly Ignored Power Veg

In deep Asia (that part of Asia where deep eastern wisdom is sourced), some folks call it “talbos ng kamote.” In America, it’s simply sweet potato leaves or Yam leaves. Talbos or sweet potato leaves is a highly nutritious green leafy vegetable abundant in the tropics and often underrated as poor man’s veggie. But really, it’s a powerful herbal wellness plant.

It is actually more of a vegetable than an herb. But sweet potato leaves are classified as herbaceous perennial vines, with heart shaped (sometimes long and pointed) green leaves with medium-size sympetalous flowers. Well, most types are green leafy, but there are other deep or bright colored varieties. Though more tropical, this plant can be grown almost anywhere.
So Easy to Plant and Manage

I think this is the easiest herb or veggie to plant and manage. It easily grows in any garden—it even grows by itself like wild grass does. Just take a few cut stems and plant into soft soil, water a little daily, and that’s it. They spread as a vine or shrub and even grow new roots that bulge underground into a root crop—sweet potato. The crop is popular, but little is known about the sweet potato leaves. They’re best grown on the side of mountains or hills.
Super Leaves

The sweet potato leaves are rich in Vitamin A (ideal for skin care!), fiber, and micro nutrients. They’re healthy for the blood. If your blood lacks redness, or if you have low-blood pressure, make sweet potato leaves a regular salad side dish. If you often lack sleep, eat them often. They’re also so good for remedying constipation. You wanna loose weight? The leaves of sweet potato are ideal. And it’s cheap. Overall, people in Asia with weak bodies and ill health are encouraged to often eat this herbal veggie. It improves health in many ways.

Super Talbos Tea

Preparing the leaves for salad is easy. Simply steam them over very minimal amount of water. Once the pot releases steam, turn off the fire. The leaves are ready. Because steaming them must take only a few seconds, make sure you wash the leaves thoroughly.

Now, don’t throw the boiled water away. It’s good as tea. Pour into a cup and drink it while hot. Talbos tea is an energy booster and good for easing cold and flu. Better if you squeeze in a slice of lemon or kalamansi. If you need to do overtime work and stay awake, try talbos tea.

Moreover, more and more people in Manila swear that the brew can lower high body temperature during flu or high fever. There had been reports that people with Dengue (mosquito induced fatal high fever) whose blood platelets had fallen to dangerously low levels were normalized by drinking lots of the brew. Well, such claims have never been validated medically, and this needs serious scientific study. However, trying talbos tea during high fevers won’t hurt.

A Veggie Dish

This leaf is quite versatile. It can be mixed in soup dishes, served solo as a viand, or as a side dish for fried or grilled meats or fish. Mix the cut leaves into tenderized pork or fish soup dishes while boiling. Or, steam them and sprinkle some vinegar and salt with sliced onion and tomato toppings. To serve potato leaves as a solo dish, sauté with some garlic, onions, and some drops of soy sauce. Top with thinly sliced egg.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:37pm by Equitist »  

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:38pm

Miss Anne Dryst wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:28pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:23pm:

Smiley

Ok thanks
But you can imagine that if you damage it and you dont like it.
the bin would be full of stale off potatoes.

Sweet potato doesn't have a 'stem' as such..it's a kind of tuber.

That's why I suggested looking at the narrower end, that's where the potato is cut when harvested...that's usually the place where you can see the flesh..

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print