Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will The Supermarkets Be Open At Chrismas. (Read 1386 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Will The Supermarkets Be Open At Chrismas.
Nov 24th, 2010 at 6:40am

HUNDREDS of supermarkets will remain closed on Boxing Day and no food deliveries will be made as a result of changes to shop trading legislation by the New South Wales Government.

Coles yesterday accused the Government of kowtowing to the unions on the legislation, which the Government has put in place to attempt to ensure better conditions for workers over the Christmas public holiday period.

The changes have come into place because of Christmas and Boxing Day fall on a weekend this year.

Coles will be able to open 84 stores in "tourist areas" on Boxing Day under the new laws, but the other 200 stores it would like to open on the Sunday have to remain shut.

The other major retailers - Woolworths, Aldi, Franklins and IGA - will also be affected by the new laws.

Coles spokesman Robert Hadler said the laws would "take away the ability to clean stores and accept deliveries on the closed days for all stores".

"Customers will be forced to shop heavily on Christmas Eve to last for the busiest time of the year and not be guaranteed supply on the Monday as stores cannot be replenished over the break," he said.

"We estimate $15 million in lost sales in NSW, especially in rural and regional NSW where no shops will open."

Coles employees would lose more than $500,000 in pay for Boxing Day.

"As we cannot replenish during closed days, the quality of fresh bread, milk and fresh produce, meat and fruit and vegetables will be adversely affected," he said.

Lobbying by Coles and the National Retailers Association had been unsuccessful in having the laws changed.

"The unions are taking advantage of Christmas falling on a weekend this year," Mr Hadler said.

A spokeswoman for Premier Kristina Keneally said: "We make no apologies for workers who elect to share the holiday with their family and friends."

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Will The Supermarkets Be Open At Chrismas.
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 6:43am

Employers wouldn't expect people to work on weekends, or on public holidays without penalty rates, would they?. Shocked

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 7:01am

Australia should move into the modern world.  Open all the shops 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  There would be plenty of people that would want the work, even at or around Christmas, provided people were paid the proper penalty rates.

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 5:34pm

Quote:
Australia should move into the modern world.  Open all the shops 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  There would be plenty of people that would want the work, even at or around Christmas, provided people were paid the proper penalty rates.

If you're advocating 24/7 access then why have the penalty rates?

It's hard to soar like an eagle when conversing with turkeys

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 5:37pm

The penalty rates are very fair.   Why should they not be able to have penalty rates?.

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 5:47pm

Quote:
The penalty rates are very fair.   Why should they not be able to have penalty rates?.

Why would you if people are willing to work without them.
In today's modern world the old 9-5 attitude is a dinosaur and no longer relevant.
Besides, a Christian holiday is paid as a public holiday at normal rates. some people don't observe Christian holidays instead they take days off for normal days at normal rates for their own religious beliefs. Do Christians who work on other religious holidays get penalty rates?
So why would penalty rates be applicable when non-Christians work on Christian holidays?

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:10pm

I don't see how religion comes into it.  A recognized public holiday in Australia, is a recognised public holiday.      

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:15pm

Quote:
I don't see how religion comes into it.  A recognized public holiday in Australia, is a recognised public holiday.      

Thats the whole issue.
It's a recognised Christian public holiday.
Non-christians couldn't care less about it, so why should they be paid penalty rates for a normal working day?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:18pm

If the workers miss out on the work, and the consumers miss out, then so be it.

The Unions got greedy by wanting four paid public holidays instead of the usual two.

You reap what you sow.  If you dont like the Supermarkets decision, contact the unions.  The supermarkets have made a business decision, one they are free to make.  They didnt want to pay for the 4 days, and thats fair.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:21pm

I see what you are saying, but never the less it is a public holiday in Australia.  Whether some people do not care less for it or not.  It is still classed as a public holiday in Australia.

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but never the less it is a public holiday in Australia.  Whether some people do not care less for it or not.  It is still classed as a public holiday in Australia.

That's right.
But when non-christian want to observe their holidays, they either feign a sickie and get paid normal rates or take annual leave and get the loading.
Whilst those that work on non-christian 'holidays' don't get any penalty rates simply because those days aren't recognised.

There's an inconsistency here.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 7:41pm

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but never the less it is a public holiday in Australia.  Whether some people do not care less for it or not.  It is still classed as a public holiday in Australia.

True, but you cant sook when the decide its more benefinical to shut than be open.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 8:48pm

Anyone but an absolute imbecile can plan their groceries  a few days in advance.

IP Logged

Miss Anne Dryst
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:03pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 8:48pm:
Anyone but an absolute imbecile can plan their groceries  a few days in advance.

So you're not concerned if the Labor voters have a Christmas dinner or miss out?

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Miss Anne Dryst wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:03pm:
aussiefree2ride wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 8:48pm:
Anyone but an absolute imbecile can plan their groceries  a few days in advance.

So you're not concerned if the Labor voters have a Christmas dinner or miss out?

If their fearless leader is any indication, they`d benefit from the loss of a few stone off their flabby bottoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print