Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Gerry Harvey Calls For GST On Online Purchases. (Read 8573 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Gerry Harvey Calls For GST On Online Purchases.
Reply #90 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 3:56pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 12:59pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:47am:
Verge wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:31am:
You fool, its about buying online from overseas.  I dont give a toss about a guy in a Chinese back shed selling stuff online and sending it here, I care about the people here doing.

If the Mums and Dads in Oz are selling online, if its a business (and they can prove through the tax law not a hobby) then they will be paying tax on it anyway, if its a hobby who cares its a bit of cash for them.  If the turnover is too high then they pay the GST and eveyone is on the same playing field.

You seem so focused on Gerry and not the issue at heart.  If people want to buy from Australians online, good luck to them.  But when we are buying from overseas they have a headstart on everyone else, an unfair one.

You also seem to forget that many of these businesses are francises owned by locals, locals who support local people and fellow local businesses.

Even our local Maccas throws a fortune into our local community groups.

How do you know they are not selling here ? Plenty of people sell stuff here online and lots have GST exemption because they don't turn over enough. But you and your billionaire greedy mate now want to apply GST to small time operators and make them compete with the overseas sellers who don't pay GST !!

Why is it that small time online sellers have to be penalized just because of the greed of some billionaire and his inefficient outdated business practice ??

How do we 'know"???

Because the 2nd line of the OP specifies OVERSEAS..

"The federal government should place a good and services tax on products bought from overseas online retailers, Harvey Norman chief executive Gerry Harvey says.

Nails, the "greedy billionaire" is asking FOR the overseas sellers to pay GST......

That's even more absurd !! Good luck to him if he can convince the Government Wink I doubt it though.

This guy has already had a good kick from Kevin Dudd's stimulus package. I remember seeing him on the 7:30 report crying about the GFC and how he wished everything was the way it was. After Dudd's stimulus package and debt fueled property bubble he was boasting about good sales. I doubt if the Government will capitulate again and give him more concessions just because the financial conditions are not favourable to him. There are lots of small businesses doing it tough as well. They don't get any favourable concessions from the Government. Gerry GE is just a cry baby. The bigger they are the harder they fall Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #91 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 12:59pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:47am:
Verge wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:31am:
You fool, its about buying online from overseas.  I dont give a toss about a guy in a Chinese back shed selling stuff online and sending it here, I care about the people here doing.

If the Mums and Dads in Oz are selling online, if its a business (and they can prove through the tax law not a hobby) then they will be paying tax on it anyway, if its a hobby who cares its a bit of cash for them.  If the turnover is too high then they pay the GST and eveyone is on the same playing field.

You seem so focused on Gerry and not the issue at heart.  If people want to buy from Australians online, good luck to them.  But when we are buying from overseas they have a headstart on everyone else, an unfair one.

You also seem to forget that many of these businesses are francises owned by locals, locals who support local people and fellow local businesses.

Even our local Maccas throws a fortune into our local community groups.

How do you know they are not selling here ? Plenty of people sell stuff here online and lots have GST exemption because they don't turn over enough. But you and your billionaire greedy mate now want to apply GST to small time operators and make them compete with the overseas sellers who don't pay GST !!

Why is it that small time online sellers have to be penalized just because of the greed of some billionaire and his inefficient outdated business practice ??

How do we 'know"???

Because the 2nd line of the OP specifies OVERSEAS..

"The federal government should place a good and services tax on products bought from overseas online retailers, Harvey Norman chief executive Gerry Harvey says.

Nails, the "greedy billionaire" is asking FOR the overseas sellers to pay GST......

That's even more absurd !! Good luck to him if he can convince the Government Wink I doubt it though.

This guy has already had a good kick from Kevin Dudd's stimulus package. I remember seeing him on the 7:30 report crying about the GFC and how he wished everything was the way it was. After Dudd's stimulus package and debt fueled property bubble he was boasting about good sales. I doubt if the Government will capitulate again and give him more concessions just because the financial conditions are not favourable to him. There are lots of small businesses doing it tough as well. They don't get any favourable concessions from the Government. Gerry GE is just a cry baby. The bigger they are the harder they fall Wink

No it's NOT absurd...he just wants what YOU want....an equal amount of GST paid by overseas online sellers as is paid by the 'mum and dad' Australian retailers...

So basically, you and Gerry are after the same thing.....how funny is THAT????

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:41pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 4:23pm:
No it's NOT absurd...he just wants what YOU want....an equal amount of GST paid by overseas online sellers as is paid by the 'mum and dad' Australian retailers...

So basically, you and Gerry are after the same thing.....how funny is THAT????

That's not what I want at all. Lots of mums and dads online retailers don't pay GST simply because they don't turnover enough. If some overseas online resellers only sells 10K worth of goods per year into Australia do you want to put GST on that as well when locals don't have to ??

Gerry GE wants to penalize overseas online resellers when locals are not.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print