Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Gerry Harvey Calls For GST On Online Purchases. (Read 8616 times)
gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Re: Gerry Harvey Calls For GST On Online Purchases.
Reply #75 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:01pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 1:56pm:
Bobby. wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 1:42pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:40pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 12:31pm:
LOL nails, Gerry's just a business man....How long do you think it's been since he left his office and actually dealt with a customer???

That's what the company hires sales staff for...

He doesn't have a business. If his business is so good then why does he need to go to the public for funds ?? Aldis don't need to do it !!

I'm often perplexed why these Australian retailers who flog imported goods made in chinese sweat shops feel the need to go to the public to raise funds !!  Funds for what ?? They are not making or manufacturing anything !!

Nail - he's not even selling goods - he's selling credit.
His aim is to get suckers into debt & make a commission on it.

Yep he is a front man for GE finance using chinese made imported goods as the bait. What sort of business is that ??

How could people invest in that ?

Nails, does he hold a gun at your head, and refuse to let YOU leave until you sign up to GE Finance????

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:17pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:01pm:
Nails, does he hold a gun at your head, and refuse to let YOU leave until you sign up to GE Finance????

He can do what he likes but don't try and nobble the Government for favours Sad

read the article by Michael Pascoe. That just about sums it up Wink

http://www.smh.com.au/business/poor-gerry-harvey--tell-him-hes-dreaming-20101124...

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #77 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:46pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:17pm:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/poor-gerry-harvey--tell-him-hes-dreaming-20101124...

So he 'wants' a GST applied to online purchases....big woop...he knows, as we also know, that it's never going to happen...he used the comment to try and 'guilt' consumers into going to his stores...

It was a marketing tool...Gerry probably never expected it to happen..

I'd like a night of wild sex with Jennifer Aniston, and/or Pamela Anderson......I also know it's NEVER going to happen......it's a dream, as is Gerry Harvey's 'dream' of a GST on overseas, online purchases..It got his name in the media and might convince a few suckers to shop at Harvey Norman stores...which was the whole purpose of the exercise...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:12pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:46pm:

So he 'wants' a GST applied to online purchases....big woop...he knows, as we also know, that it's never going to happen...he used the comment to try and 'guilt' consumers into going to his stores...

I'd like a night of wild sex with Jennifer Aniston, and/or Pamela Anderson......I also know it's NEVER going to happen......it's a dream, as is Gerry Harvey's 'dream' of a GST on overseas, online purchases..It got his name in the media and might convince a few suckers to shop at Harvey Norman stores...which was the whole purpose of the exercise...

yes and the reason there is no one going to his shops is because A) he is over priced and B) interest rates have risen and nobody wants to get into more debt.

Lets face it Gerry GE can't sell anything without selling a line of credit to go along with it !!

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #79 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:12pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 2:46pm:

yes and the reason there is no one going to his shops is because A) he is over priced and B) interest rates have risen and nobody wants to get into more debt.

Lets face it Gerry GE can't sell anything without selling a line of credit to go along with it !!

Yeah, and IF that's happened...then he will eventually change his tune, once his profits drop, he'll have to either 'lift his game' or go bust...either way the 'short sharp shower of poo' concept will kick in and he'll change..

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:14pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:19pm:
Yeah, and IF that's happened...then he will eventually change his tune, once his profits drop, he'll have to either 'lift his game' or go bust...either way the 'short sharp shower of poo' concept will kick in and he'll change..

Gerry GE cries like is a weeping old woman when he can't sell his made in china shite Wink LOL

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #81 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:31pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:14pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:19pm:

Gerry GE cries like is a weeping old woman when he can't sell his made in china shite Wink LOL

Nail - forget Gerry Harvey.
No one is crying for that rip off billionaire.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:32pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:59am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:55am:
Verge wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:14am:
Complain about Gerry all you like, he creates jobs.

Ive got a couple of good friends who work there. The pay is good, their prodect knowledge is top and they get to do a job they love.

I dont care if they are a front for Chinese imports, they are local people I can talk to and buy from.  It is only in rare occassions I dontbuy local because if I dont one day that shop might not be there when I need it, and thats with everything.  All the retailers are locals just like us, and the employees are too.

You all seem quick to jump but all the retailers in your home town create jobs, and those jobs create flow on jobs.

What sort of job is it that stitches up the unsuspecting punter to GE finance ?? We'd all be better off without these jobs that encourage predatory lending !!

If I buy a product my first point of call is the internet for some objective UNBIASED opinions of that product. Then I might look on ebay to see if anyone is flogging it. Usually they are so I buy it from an ebay reseller which has lots of positive feedback. I didn't even have to get out of my chair and waste petrol to drive down to Gerry GE to get some bullshite sales spiel that says that everything they sell is good no matter what it is !!

And the other issue is I didn't see Gerry GE show to much sympathy for the 2000 Bonds workers that got done out of a job when he appeared on 60 minutes supporting good rich Bonds CEO mate Sue Morphet !!

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/788322/the-boss

No nails....No one is FORCED to sign up to GE money at harvey normal, or any other store...

They simply 'offer' to arrange finance instore......if you pay cash, you don't need to worry about GE, or if you go to a bank or lender of YOUR choice, there's nothing GE or Harvey Norman can do about it...

Sure, they might 'hard sell'....but you can always refuse, don't blame the companies for the stupidity/weak will of the punter...

Right on Gizmo.

How happy do you think the workers of Harvey Norman would feel if he sacked 2,000.

He creates jobs, Australian jobs in his stores.

What is wrong with wanting a level playing field for all retailers that sell to Australians to have to contribute to the tax.

You seem pretty happy to think Gerry is taking a hit Nail, but you are also forgetting about plenty of other things like clothing, footware and just about any other consumer product is also being bought overseas, not supporting Australian retail jobs.

Dont worry about the local sports store who supports the local sporting clubs, as long as you get your shoes and clothes 10% cheaper online because they dont have to pay to GST like the local shop.

Did you stop Nail and wonder if the online shopping had anything to do with pacific brands sending jobs offshore with people buying clothes direct from overseas.

You can be pretty ignorant Nail, just because you dont like Harvey Norman you are more than happy to condem everyone that works for them.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:57pm

Verge wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:32pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:59am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:55am:
Verge wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:14am:
Complain about Gerry all you like, he creates jobs.

Ive got a couple of good friends who work there. The pay is good, their prodect knowledge is top and they get to do a job they love.

I dont care if they are a front for Chinese imports, they are local people I can talk to and buy from.  It is only in rare occassions I dontbuy local because if I dont one day that shop might not be there when I need it, and thats with everything.  All the retailers are locals just like us, and the employees are too.

You all seem quick to jump but all the retailers in your home town create jobs, and those jobs create flow on jobs.

What sort of job is it that stitches up the unsuspecting punter to GE finance ?? We'd all be better off without these jobs that encourage predatory lending !!

If I buy a product my first point of call is the internet for some objective UNBIASED opinions of that product. Then I might look on ebay to see if anyone is flogging it. Usually they are so I buy it from an ebay reseller which has lots of positive feedback. I didn't even have to get out of my chair and waste petrol to drive down to Gerry GE to get some bullshite sales spiel that says that everything they sell is good no matter what it is !!

And the other issue is I didn't see Gerry GE show to much sympathy for the 2000 Bonds workers that got done out of a job when he appeared on 60 minutes supporting good rich Bonds CEO mate Sue Morphet !!

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/788322/the-boss

No nails....No one is FORCED to sign up to GE money at harvey normal, or any other store...

They simply 'offer' to arrange finance instore......if you pay cash, you don't need to worry about GE, or if you go to a bank or lender of YOUR choice, there's nothing GE or Harvey Norman can do about it...

Sure, they might 'hard sell'....but you can always refuse, don't blame the companies for the stupidity/weak will of the punter...

Right on Gizmo.

How happy do you think the workers of Harvey Norman would feel if he sacked 2,000.

What is wrong with wanting a level playing field for all retailers that sell to Australians to have to contribute to the tax.

You seem pretty happy to think Gerry is taking a hit Nail, but you are also forgetting about plenty of other things like clothing, footware and just about any other consumer product is also being bought overseas, not supporting Australian retail jobs.

Dont worry about the local sports store who supports the local sporting clubs, as long as you get your shoes and clothes 10% cheaper online because they dont have to pay to GST like the local shop.

Did you stop Nail and wonder if the online shopping had anything to do with pacific brands sending jobs offshore with people buying clothes direct from overseas.

You can be pretty ignorant Nail, just because you dont like Harvey Norman you are more than happy to condem everyone that works for them.

Retailers have taken advantage of consumers - and indeed the wider community - for far too long.

They have charged far too much for products, with a mark up that cannot be justified by any means, not least of all with our dollar as it stands.

Consumers have woken up to online purchasing, and are less inclined to be ripped off. It's up to Australian retailers to become more competitive and it's NOT the responsibility of the consumer to prop up business that have gotten by on destroying competition, and continuing to charge ridiculous prices. And I'm not sure what 'local sports stores' you're talking about, because while a few remain, they're almost non existent nowadays. Larger chains have moved in, bought them out (of forced them to close), and now continue to overprice goods. There are few business that can take the high ground here.

What has happened with Pacific Brands has very little, if anything, to do with what Gerry Harvey is complaining about - though he himself states his business has been relatively unaffected.

Like Andrei said, introducing GST on good that are essentially bought overseas is nearly impossible anyway, so meh, Gerry can continue to bitch and moan. Nothing will come of it.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:36pm

Right on Gizmo.

And how many online sellers are mums and dads running a business in Australia ? Quite a few I think but of course to a libbo the needs of a few greedy corporations outweigh the needs of the many looking to make ends meat for themselves rather than for a whole lot of parasitic shareholders !!

My suggestion to those people working for Gerry GE is that if they ever lose their jobs from Harvey Norman then 1) Gerry GE couldn't give a toss about them and 2) there is an avenue for them to setup their own online business and compete directly with the company which sacked them Wink That's what you call a free enterprise system and thanks to the internet it is now a reality Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #85 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:56pm

Nail.
Quote:
My suggestion to those people working for Gerry GE is that if they ever lose their jobs from Harvey Norman then 1) Gerry GE couldn't give a toss about them and 2) there is an avenue for them to setup their own online business and compete directly with the company which sacked them  That's what you call a free enterprise system and thanks to the internet it is now a reality  

Well said Nail.
WE don't need billionaire shop owners crying about a few people in garages competing with them.
They only pay their employees the minimum wage of $12 an hour anyway.
They rip off their employees as well.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Old Gerry definitely must be a liberal supporter Wink

Quote:
Charity a waste, says Gerry Harvey

Retail king Gerry Harvey may have a personal fortune of about $1.6 billion but the Harvey Norman founder thinks donating to charity is "just wasted".

Asked in a new book about the role he and Harvey Norman play in the community, Mr Harvey said giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

He said he believed in helping "develop people to their potential" because "when they achieve [their potential] they will put a lot more back into the community".

"You could go out and give a million dollars to a charity tomorrow to help the homeless. You could argue that it is just wasted. They are not putting anything back into the community.

"It might be a callous way of putting it but what are they doing? You are helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason. They are just a drag on the whole community.

"So did that million you gave them help? It helped to keep them alive but did it help our society? No. Society might have been better off without them but we are supposed to look after the disadvantaged and so we do it. But it doesn't help the society."

Mr Harvey added: "That is not to say we don't give money away to charities because we have given plenty away over the years. At the end of the day, the more quality individuals you develop in the community, the better off the community should be."

Earlier this year, Harvey Norman donated beds to a charity, Bridge Back to Life, that helps homeless men find rental accommodation.

The comments are in a new book, Master CEOs, by the Sydney funds manager Matthew Kidman.

Clare Martin, the chief executive of the Australian Council of Social Service, said: "I have really been impressed at corporate Australia and their real involvement in the wider community … and I always thought that Harvey Norman shared that as well.

"It does surprise me that Gerry Harvey, who's a very significant business figure, should not share the values of many other corporates."

In the interview, Mr Harvey also said that despite his wealth, "I still have a fear about going broke. I always think about it."

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:31am

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 25th, 2010 at 10:36pm:
Right on Gizmo.

And how many online sellers are mums and dads running a business in Australia ? Quite a few I think but of course to a libbo the needs of a few greedy corporations outweigh the needs of the many looking to make ends meat for themselves rather than for a whole lot of parasitic shareholders !!

My suggestion to those people working for Gerry GE is that if they ever lose their jobs from Harvey Norman then 1) Gerry GE couldn't give a toss about them and 2) there is an avenue for them to setup their own online business and compete directly with the company which sacked them Wink That's what you call a free enterprise system and thanks to the internet it is now a reality Wink

You fool, its about buying online from overseas.  I dont give a toss about a guy in a Chinese back shed selling stuff online and sending it here, I care about the people here doing.

If the Mums and Dads in Oz are selling online, if its a business (and they can prove through the tax law not a hobby) then they will be paying tax on it anyway, if its a hobby who cares its a bit of cash for them.  If the turnover is too high then they pay the GST and eveyone is on the same playing field.

You seem so focused on Gerry and not the issue at heart.  If people want to buy from Australians online, good luck to them.  But when we are buying from overseas they have a headstart on everyone else, an unfair one.

You also seem to forget that many of these businesses are francises owned by locals, locals who support local people and fellow local businesses.

Even our local Maccas throws a fortune into our local community groups.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:47am

Verge wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:31am:
You fool, its about buying online from overseas.  I dont give a toss about a guy in a Chinese back shed selling stuff online and sending it here, I care about the people here doing.

If the Mums and Dads in Oz are selling online, if its a business (and they can prove through the tax law not a hobby) then they will be paying tax on it anyway, if its a hobby who cares its a bit of cash for them.  If the turnover is too high then they pay the GST and eveyone is on the same playing field.

You seem so focused on Gerry and not the issue at heart.  If people want to buy from Australians online, good luck to them.  But when we are buying from overseas they have a headstart on everyone else, an unfair one.

You also seem to forget that many of these businesses are francises owned by locals, locals who support local people and fellow local businesses.

How do you know they are not selling here ? Plenty of people sell stuff here online and lots have GST exemption because they don't turn over enough. But you and your billionaire greedy mate now want to apply GST to small time operators and make them compete with the overseas sellers who don't pay GST !!

Why is it that small time online sellers have to be penalized just because of the greed of some billionaire and his inefficient outdated business practice ??

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #89 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 12:59pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:47am:
Verge wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:31am:
You fool, its about buying online from overseas.  I dont give a toss about a guy in a Chinese back shed selling stuff online and sending it here, I care about the people here doing.

If the Mums and Dads in Oz are selling online, if its a business (and they can prove through the tax law not a hobby) then they will be paying tax on it anyway, if its a hobby who cares its a bit of cash for them.  If the turnover is too high then they pay the GST and eveyone is on the same playing field.

You seem so focused on Gerry and not the issue at heart.  If people want to buy from Australians online, good luck to them.  But when we are buying from overseas they have a headstart on everyone else, an unfair one.

How do you know they are not selling here ? Plenty of people sell stuff here online and lots have GST exemption because they don't turn over enough. But you and your billionaire greedy mate now want to apply GST to small time operators and make them compete with the overseas sellers who don't pay GST !!

Why is it that small time online sellers have to be penalized just because of the greed of some billionaire and his inefficient outdated business practice ??

How do we 'know"???

Because the 2nd line of the OP specifies OVERSEAS..

"The federal government should place a good and services tax on products bought from overseas online retailers, Harvey Norman chief executive Gerry Harvey says.

Nails, the "greedy billionaire" is asking FOR the overseas sellers to pay GST......

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print