Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not noongah enough for job (Read 1270 times)
JC Denton
Gold Member

Not noongah enough for job
Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:02pm

Quote:
A YOUNG Aboriginal woman was “humiliated” to hear she might not look indigenous enough for a job promoting the Aboriginal employment initiative founded by mining entrepreneur Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest.

Tarran Betterridge, 24, a Canberra university student, applied for the post through ACT company Epic Promotions, which had been asked to find five people of “indigenous heritage” to staff a stall at Westfield in Canberra handing out flyers for Mr Forrest’s GenerationOne.

Ms Betterridge was interviewed for 20 minutes on October 20 and told she was “perfect”. However, the interviewer, Emanuela D’Annibale, said she first had to check with her client, an agency called Let’s Launch, because of guidelines specifying it wanted “indigenous-looking” people for the job.

Ms Betterridge’s mother is white and her father a Wiradjuuri man from the Dubbo area.

When Ms Betterridge phoned the next day, Ms D’Annibale told her she was not needed as Let’s Launch had already found enough employees.

Ms D’Annibale yesterday confirmed working to guidelines that required at least some recruits to “look” indigenous. Ms Betterridge was “lovely”, she said, but “if you’re promoting Italian pasta, and you put Asians there, how’s that going to look? Wouldn’t you pick an Italian to promote the Italian pasta?”

She would have liked to hire Ms Betterridge anyway, because “she was really nice, she had so much knowledge . . . but the reason we needed at least one person who looked indigenous [was] so that it would be friendlier to indigenous people”.

“I wouldn’t have picked her for Aboriginal at all . . . to me she looked like an Aussie girl.”

She said in the end Ms Betterridge hadn’t been hired because the agency decided it didn’t need five people.

Ms Betterridge says her family is outraged and she is “shocked that a company that wants to increase indigenous employment would question hiring a person because they do not meet the colour standard”.

GenerationOne chief executive Tim Gartrell said he had instructed those responsible to apologise and would no longer use the recruiting contractor.

“The comment made by a recruiting contractor is completely inappropriate and doesn’t reflect the views, practice or ethos of anyone in GenerationOne,” he said.

Despite this, the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council accused GenerationOne of abetting ” staggering” discrimination against Ms Betterridge.

Let’s Launch was unavailable for a formal response, but unofficially denied issuing the guidelines quoted by Ms D’Annibale.

The incident comes as the issue of Aboriginal identity plays out in the Federal Court. Nine Aborigines are suing Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt for racial discrimination over referring to the “fashion” of light-skinned people identifying as Aborigines.

I don't think she looks white. You can spot that she isn't totally from her flaring nostrils in combination with other distinctive craniofacial characteristics.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Not noongah enough for job
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:13pm

Ain't discrimination a strange thing!?

My strikingly beautiful young adult niece looks too Aboriginal for her to avoid negative discrimination for being 'Abbo' - despite the fact that she has no Aboriginal heritage whatsoever...

Had she made application, I'd wager that she would have been hired for the job in question...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

codswal
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:32pm

Equitist wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:13pm:
Ain't discrimination a strange thing!?

My strikingly beautiful young adult niece looks too Aboriginal for her to avoid negative discrimination for being 'Abbo' - despite the fact that she has no Aboriginal heritage whatsoever...

Had she made application, I'd wager that she would have been hired for the job in question...

this is so bloody politcally correct it goes to show how the thing is getting abused...now the agency has lost out as well..

not only do they already have an advantage by being able to state they are only hiring aboriginals..

they also have to watch out they word everything to suit them or ELSE...

imagine advertising only white people need apply.. or Germans or Sudanese..it wont and shouldnt happen..

I wouldnt want to employ people who are so damn sensitive, might as well walk all day on broken glass.

now if they had asked for someone with an aboriginal dialect.. that would make sense.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:41pm

She didnt fit the profile for what they want, so move on.

Do people honestly thing the gorgeous blonde working as the new trainee got the job based on skills and experience alone.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:26pm

Verge wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:41pm:

Do people honestly thing the gorgeous blonde working as the new trainee got the job based on skills and experience alone.

More to the point. Do you believe that every good looking person is employed for the wrong reason?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:31pm

aussiefree2ride wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:26pm:
Verge wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:41pm:

More to the point. Do you believe that every good looking person is employed for the wrong reason?

We have all worked with the woman who is stunning but dumb as dog crap and we all know they got the job based more on looks than ability.

I have personally worked with a boss who's hiring policy was a stunning girl on reception for no other reason than hostile customers wont take it out on the pretty girl at the desk and they have said by the time they have made their way out the person has calmed a bit.

Other than being pleasant, very nice and even better to look at, they could barely put the mail together.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:06pm

Most of the secretaries I see around here are pig ugly.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:18pm

I wish my boss' hiring policy was like that.

here we have old biddies who are BOTH dumb as dog crap AND pig ugly.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:18pm

Yep. Smarter people tend to be better looking in my experience anyway.

I'm sure there is a positive correlation. There is for height.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:41pm

I must admit that I get sick of the definition of 'aboriginal' being 1/16th etc. surely aboriginal is 1/2 OR MORE and white is HALF or less aboriginal blood. That not only makes mathematical sense but logical sense.  where do you draw the line?  id say 50%

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:45pm

longweekend58 wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:41pm:
I must admit that I get sick of the definition of 'aboriginal' being 1/16th etc. surely aboriginal is 1/2 OR MORE and white is HALF or less aboriginal blood. That not only makes mathematical sense but logical sense.  where do you draw the line?  id say 50%

I'd give it 25%.  While mathematically youre proposal makes sense, I reckon consideration should be given to where 1 parent is 1/2 caste, but might look fullblood.  Anything less than 25% is just playing us all for suckers...If I see one more honky win an indigenous scholarship or award, Im gonna scream, beacsue these very same people are then used as examples of indigenous achievement, despite having 10 times more 'white blood' than aboriginal.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 4:08pm

... wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:45pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:41pm:
I must admit that I get sick of the definition of 'aboriginal' being 1/16th etc. surely aboriginal is 1/2 OR MORE and white is HALF or less aboriginal blood. That not only makes mathematical sense but logical sense.  where do you draw the line?  id say 50%

I'd give it 25%.  While mathematically youre proposal makes sense, I reckon consideration should be given to where 1 parent is 1/2 caste, but might look fullblood.  Anything less than 25% is just playing us all for suckers...If I see one more honky win an indigenous scholarship or award, Im gonna scream, beacsue these very same people are then used as examples of indigenous achievement, despite having 10 times more 'white blood' than aboriginal.

thats my argument. 'aboriginal' is a term now often used in a way that demeans and devalues the term. are 'white people' 90% black? of course not.

Im with you. everytime i see some 'aborginal' win a prize or acheive soemthing I feel nauseous seeing a WHITE person stand there.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print