Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well At Long Last, Finally Some Good News. (Read 342 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Well At Long Last, Finally Some Good News.
Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:33am

Unions welcome Labor Government’s delivery of improvements to redundancy payments for workers
The entitlements of working Australians who are too often left shortchanged by company collapses will be more secure following the Labor Government’s delivery of its election commitment to improve the GEERS scheme, say unions.

Unions welcome today’s announcement that changes to the General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme will come into effect at the start of next year.

The removal of a cap on redundancy payments will mean that almost every worker will receive their redundancy entitlements in full in cases where their employer went out of business without having made provisions.

ACTU President Ged Kearney said this would be a vast improvement on the GEERS scheme established by the Howard Government, which had capped redundancy payments at 16 weeks.

The changes will guarantee redundancy pay of up to four weeks wages for every year of service. It will also guarantee all annual leave, all long service leave and up to three months of unpaid wages.

“The Global Financial Crisis highlighted shortcomings of GEERS, which was nothing more than a stop-gap scheme with major flaws.

“Thousands of Australian workers lost their job during the GFC and were left high and dry without their full entitlements.

“Unions have campaigned long and hard to improve this scheme because all workers should receive a redundancy payment based on how long they have served.

“It is pleasing to see the Labor Government follow through on its election promise to improve GEERS, and we look forward to it delivering the rest of its Fair Entitlements Guarantee, including a crackdown on phoenix companies, where directors shift assets to avoid their obligations to employees.”   

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Well At Long Last, Finally Some Good News.
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:52am

Yes. Employees first, that's the way it should be.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Well At Long Last, Finally Some Good News.
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:40am

4 weeks for each year of service, but employees who get retrenched in normal circumstances dont even get that.

I was my understanding normal employees can only get about 20 weeks, so why are those retrenched through business closure getting more? 

I think its a fair question to ask.  Why is an employee who gets retrenched through normal working conditions after 20 years service only worth 20 weeks, while one who is retrenched through business closure worth 80 weeks?

I dont have a problem with employees getting all their leave entitlements, no problem there at all, but uncapped service, dunno.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print