Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bunnings Faces Union Strike Action. (Read 4410 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Bunnings Faces Union Strike Action.
Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:57am

HARDWARE giant Bunnings faces disruption to its operations in NSW and Victoria, with staff threatening rolling stoppages from this week.

Workers employed at the company's frame and truss workshops in Benalla and Hallam, in Victoria, and Warnervale, in NSW, have voted to take legal industrial action, including strikes.

The workers -- members of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union's forestry and furnishing products division -- are seeking pay rises totalling 13.5 per cent over three years. Bunnings has offered 10.5 per cent.

The union's Jane Calvert said Warnervale would be the first facility to be hit by strike action, with a stoppage planned for Friday. Talks between the company and the union are scheduled for today.

"This industrial action will have flow-on impacts for the building industry nationally, particularly the housing sector in the busy lead-up to Christmas," Ms Calvert said.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Bunnings Faces Union Strike Action.
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:08am

Oh yes Bunnings, the great company that sells everything made in China.  Good for Australian manufacturing, isn't it?.                            

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:08am

Just goes to show what sub human rsoles unionists are.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:11am

No, goes to show its good being in a union.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:16am

Quote:
No, goes to show its good being in a union.

Good for who?  Certainly not good for the worker.  All that effectively happens, is that each wage rise puts upward pressure on the cost of living, which, in turn gives call for more wage rises.  More jobs are lost overseas as we price ourselves out of the market.

Who gets fat? - THE UNIONS!

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:18am

Quote:
Oh yes Bunnings, the great company that sells everything made in China.  Good for Australian manufacturing, isn't it?.                            

The rsole unions force manufacturing overseas. What do you expect?

BTW. The frame & truss plant is using AUSTRALIAN material with AUSTRALIAN technology, employing AUSTRALIAN WORKERS.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:21am

Tell that to the the big bosses, and the highly paid executives, with         their million dollar bonuses.

IP Logged

aussiefree2ride
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:22am

Quote:
Tell that to the the big bosses, and the highly paid executives, with         their million dollar bonuses.

ENVY, the stock in trade of any union.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:30am

You cant have it one way.  If its alright for them, then its alright for the low income workers.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:46am

Bunnings is offerring 3.5%.

Thats inline with inflation and fair.

I laugh when people strike for an extra 1%, considering 1% on $40k a year is a whopping $400.00.  Is it really worth losing pay over.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 11:59am

I think that there are times where, it is the principle of it.  Anyway that is up to the Bunning workers to decide.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Quote:
I think that there are times where, it is the principle of it.  Anyway that is up to the Bunning workers to decide.

So how are they justifying increases above inflation?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 12:08pm

I don't know, but I suppose the same way those on much, much higher wages and salaries do.   After all lets not forget the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.                              

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:22pm

Quote:
I don't know, but I suppose the same way those on much, much higher wages and salaries do.   After all lets not forget the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.                              

And thats why you dont get ahead.

You never justify a wage increase by pointing at someone else and saying "because he got one too".

If you want over and above inflation, you have to give something over and above yourself.  If that means productivity improvements, savings to be made in areas like overtime or something of the like.

If you want more than inflation, justify it by telling them what you are going to do for them.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:42pm

Quote:
Tell that to the the big bosses, and the highly paid executives, with         their million dollar bonuses.

And do you KNOW who the 'big bosses' of Bunnings are???

Wesfarmers Co-operative, which is made up of a group of Western Australian farming families...

Wesfarmers operates Target, Kmart, and other former Coles Group entities.

Owns a 50% interest in Gresham Partners, a corporate finance business focused on mergers and acquisitions.

Owns a 50% interest in Wespine Industries, a softwood sawmill operation at Dardanup, Western Australia.

Owns a 50% interest in Loyalty Pacific, which operates the FlyBuys loyalty program.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Bunnings are pricks. Their group interview process appeared random to me. THere was no way to distinguish who was better than who in the group that I was in.

You make a lot of money if you work there though. I wouldn't be complaining if I had a job at Bunnings.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:59pm

JC Denton wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:50pm:
Bunnings are pricks. Their group interview process appeared random to me. THere was no way to distinguish who was better than who in the group that I was in.

You make a lot of money if you work there though. I wouldn't be complaining if I had a job at Bunnings.

Yeah but Bunnings employs over 200,000 staff, you can't expect them to conduct individual interviews...

Was the 'group interview' run by Bunnings or an employment agency???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print