Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
What is the.. .meaning of life???? (Read 17475 times)
Soren
Gold Member

Re: What is the.. .meaning of life????
Reply #30 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:21pm

muso wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 11:10am:
joseph pratt wrote on Aug 11th, 2011 at 8:47pm:
We just cannot define life in words or sentences but LIFE is a beautiful gift to us given by GOD!! As it is gift we must live it in positive way and learn good things as much as we can!!

You mean like a birthday present?

Yeah, like a birthday present when you were 5. You only had a dim sense of where it came from and why you got it and you weren't sure that all this was entirely deserved, but there it was. And you were happy and you felt like - what was it? Well, it was what you learned only later in life by its proper name - blessed.
Something like that.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #31 - Aug 13th, 2011 at 2:13pm

Soren wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:21pm:
We just cannot define life in words or sentences but LIFE is a beautiful gift to us given by GOD!! As it is gift we must live it in positive way and learn good things as much as we can!!

Yeah, like a birthday present when you were 5. You only had a dim sense of where it came from and why you got it and you weren't sure that all this was entirely deserved, but there it was. And you were happy and you felt like - what was it? Well, it was what you learned only later in life by its proper name - blessed.
Something like that.

I've never read anything as beautiful as this on Oz Pol. Thank you Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #32 - Aug 13th, 2011 at 4:57pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 13th, 2011 at 2:13pm:

Something like that.

I've never read anything as beautiful as this on Oz Pol. Thank you Smiley

You wanna get out more Grin]

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #33 - Aug 13th, 2011 at 6:08pm

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:15pm:
Quote:
That is the meaning of life.

That is merely a definition.

That's a very good point Freediver. To understand the answer, we need first to understand the words used in the question. 'Meaning' and 'Life' have different interpretations.

So, since you raised this issue... What doe you think is meant by 'meaning' and 'life' in the question posed?

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 5:20pm

Sappho wrote on Aug 13th, 2011 at 6:08pm:
freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:15pm:
Quote:
That is the meaning of life.

That is merely a definition.

That's a very good point Freediver. To understand the answer, we need first to understand the words used in the question. 'Meaning' and 'Life' have different interpretations.

So, since you raised this issue... What doe you think is meant by 'meaning' and 'life' in the question posed?

Freediver?

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:50pm by Sappho »  

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #35 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:34pm

Yadda wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 11:52am:

Yes muso, exactly so.          Grin

i.e.
Wasn't our natal day, a 'birthday present', from God ?      Wink

Yadda understood what I meant.   Wink

Something like that.

Very evocative. I recalled my earliest memory only  last year. Apparently I was 3 at the time.  Last year, I caught the fragrance of the same plant, crushing its leaves between my fingers, and a whole stream of memory came flooding back from when I was three years old.

Memory plays some neat tricks sometimes.  The plant was pennyroyal.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:43pm by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 6:44pm

And once I had recognized the taste of the crumb of madeleine soaked in her decoction of lime-flowers which my aunt used to give me (although I did not yet know and must long postpone the discovery of why this memory made me so happy) immediately the old grey house upon the street, where her room was, rose up like the scenery of a theatre to attach itself to the little pavilion, opening on to the garden, which had been built out behind it for my parents (the isolated panel which until that moment had been all that I could see); and with the house the town, from morning to night and in all weathers, the Square where I was sent before luncheon, the streets along which I used to run errands, the country roads we took when it was fine. And just as the Japanese amuse themselves by filling a porcelain bowl with water and steeping in it little crumbs of paper which until then are without character or form, but, the moment they become wet, stretch themselves and bend, take on colour and distinctive shape, become flowers or houses or people, permanent and recognisable, so in that moment all the flowers in our garden and in M. Swann's park, and the water-lilies on the Vivonne and the good folk of the village and their little dwellings and the parish church and the whole of Combray and of its surroundings, taking their proper shapes and growing solid, sprang into being, town and gardens alike, all from my cup of tea.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #37 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 7:45pm

Proust?

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 10:05pm

Yes, the incomparable Proust.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:29am

Shucks, I am getting all choked up.
Life? The bewdifull gift from gawd.

Oh to be so blessed, and to bask in his generousity.
Mind you, I have to wonder what that little somalian baby dying of disease and starvation must have done to him?
It seems his generousity is somewhat random.

Really the silly human characteristics that people apply to their individual concepts of god never fails to astound me.

The fact is that our world is full of greater beauty than any of us could ever experience, and more horror than we could ever comprehend, and attaching either, or both, as the work of an interventionist god concept, is beyond reason.

To acknowledge there is stuff beyond your understanding is a pretty reasonable approach in my opinion, but the need to invent a a supernatural being concept, and then anthropomorhise that invention, does seem a pretty hollow, and self deceiving exercise.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:00am

mozzaok wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:29am:
To acknowledge there is stuff beyond your understanding is a pretty reasonable approach in my opinion, but the need to invent a a supernatural being concept, and then anthropomorhise that invention, does seem a pretty hollow, and self deceiving exercise.

No doubt.

But then - how do you speak  about the "stuff beyond your understanding"? Do you ever draw useful conclusions from your encounters with it for the "stuff" that is within your understanding?

Or are you just happy to take neuro-science and brain chemistry as the answers (even though they are also largely inventions and certainly "stuff beyond your understanding)?

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:23am

I differentiate between people in a lab doing imaging scans, and recording data, and people who tell me they know the answer because they heard it from a burning bush.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:42am

Religion works like aesthetics or humour - they all convey a meaning and truth without being data-testable. I.e. testability is not the only way to get at truth. You can analyse a piece of music in an audio lab or do brain scans while people crack jokes and miss the truth of both the music and the jokes.

The mistake with the lab guys is to think that they cover the entire terrain. They don't. I don't believe that the image scanning guys have mapped my inner life or yours.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:07pm

Life has no meaning, it just is. 'Meaning' is the gift you give back.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #44 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 2:44pm

Soren wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:42am:
Religion works like aesthetics or humour - they all convey a meaning and truth without being data-testable. I.e. testability is not the only way to get at truth. You can analyse a piece of music in an audio lab or do brain scans while people crack jokes and miss the truth of both the music and the jokes.

The mistake with the lab guys is to think that they cover the entire terrain. They don't. I don't believe that the image scanning guys have mapped my inner life or yours.

Nice one.

And succinct.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print