Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Greens-We Are Now A Major Political Party. (Read 363 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

The Greens-We Are Now A Major Political Party.
Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:24pm

Greens tipping big wins in Vic poll

Flushed with their federal success, euphoric Greens are predicting "historic" results in the Victorian election.

But they steadfastly refuse to say exactly how historic those results will be.

Following a Melbourne campaign launch - replete with Greens candidates, green balloons, green t-shirts and green tea - Greens Leader Bob Brown refused to predict whether the Greens would hold the balance of power in the Victorian parliament after the November 27 poll.

"I can tell you as national leader of the party, it's very important to have confidence when you are getting a small number of people into a parliament, that they will all be performers, that they will all be able to hold their own and not only that, produce good results for the electorate," he told reporters.

"I feel that confidence with these candidates in Victoria."

Up to four inner Melbourne Labor seats are under direct attack from Greens candidates, including Richmond where the campaign launch was held on Sunday afternoon.

Senator Brown predicted a greater Greens presence in the Victorian parliament - where it has upper house MPs, but no-one in the lower house - than ever before.

But he would not say whether the minor party would hold the balance of power in a hung parliament.

"We will have the biggest vote ever in Victorian history," he said.

"I've been in this business far too long to make precise predictions about who may win and who may not, but all I know is we are prepared to put in the hard yards, put in the work and get our very, very optimistic and responsible policies out to the voters."

Earlier, during the launch, new MP for the federal seat of Melbourne Adam Bandt and senator-elect Richard De Natale were received as conquering heroes.

The pair talked of their inroads into federal policy during their "five minutes" so far supporting a minority government.

Dr De Natale said a Green-tide was sweeping the nation.

"Some of our biggest swingsoccurred in regional Victoria in the last election," he said.

And Mr Bandt said that the party's federal gains would be repeated in Victoria.

Voting preferences will play a crucial role in the outcome of the Victorian election, but Senator Brown was adamant his party was not in the business of striking preference deals.

"I haven't heard Liberal or Labor say where their preferences are going, and we are not a preference machine," he said. "We're in this to get first votes, to get people to vote 1 Green.

"We are not a faction, we're not a ginger group, we're not a preference group, we're not a lobby group.

"We are now a dinkum major political party which is replacing the old, the incapable, the rusty and Labor and Liberal parties."

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: The Greens-We Are Now A Major Political Party.
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Vote 1- Australian Greens.  The fair and sensible people.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:04pm

Two threads about the greens on the front page and both of them waffle.

Good for you, nice to see you are keeping up with the spamming imcrook

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:05pm

Vote 1- Australian Greens.  For a ~better debate.

Fair and sensible... Im not so sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print