Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
NSW coalition, re: Batemans and Port Stephens (Read 124514 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: NSW coalition, Batemans and Port Stephens
Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:08am

Quote:
The map shows a few of the parks go up to the 3nm mark but do not show the green zones. You can also see the park area is only small in that close and increases further offshore.

Not sure what maps you are looking at. Try this one. Massive dark and light blue area with a narrow pointy bit going close to shore, as you described. There is one green zone in the whole thing. Have a look where it is:

http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/mpa/southeast/tasman-fracture/pubs/southeas...

Quote:
On top of that I qualified the remark as something I heard and relating to SE Australia.

Then you will have no problem retracting it will you? I have seen the same comments all over the fishing forums, unchallenged, so I don't blame you. They seem to be a misinformation machine when it comes to marine parks, except it's more about plugging the coalition than attacking marine parks.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #31 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:31am

I have heard nothing from either party on this topic.

I would assume that Labor will just continue as they have been which in my opinion has been very poor in this area; the implementation in both BB and PS was abysmal.

On the other hand the Liberals are still playing small target and do not really have any policy at all, I know you can scrounge their web site and find a variety of waffle but nothing meaningful on almost any topic.

It looks to me like the coalition’s current policy is to not tell anyone what their policy is, if they even have one.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:39am

Actually Port Stephens was the marine park where I suggested moving one of the green zones late in the feedback process as I thought fishermen would be better off that way. It was in a spot that was sheltered in a southerly, yet still fairly productive. I encouraged others too also. They changed it, pretty much to exactly how I had suggested.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #33 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:49am

freediver wrote on Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:39am:
Actually Port Stephens was the marine park where I suggested moving one of the green zones late in the feedback process as I thought fishermen would be better off that way. It was in a spot that was sheltered in a southerly, yet still fairly productive. I encouraged others too also. They changed it, pretty much to exactly how I had suggested.

That is the first example I have heard of a good experience dealing with these people, shelted from a southerly may have appealed for safety reasons?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:09am

Yes safety, plus it was a great spearing spot in a big southerly swell and you could get to it in a boat fairly easily. It was also possible to walk there, but it was a big hike. I think there were line fishermen there fairly often too.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:47am

double post

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:48am

/30#30 date=1297462108] Quote:
The map shows a few of the parks go up to the 3nm mark but do not show the green zones. You can also see the park area is only small in that close and increases further offshore.

Not sure what maps you are looking at. Try this one. Massive dark and light blue area with a narrow pointy bit going close to shore, as you described. There is one green zone in the whole thing. Have a look where it is:

http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/mpa/southeast/tasman-fracture/pubs/southeas...

Just backs up my point FD. In this case the green zone is close to shore but it would appear to be in a remote area and is tiny compared to the rest of the park. It doesn't look like it would upset recreational fishermen too much. My argument id internally consistent - unlike yours.

Quote:
On top of that I qualified the remark as something I heard and relating to SE Australia.

Then you will have no problem retracting it will you? I have seen the same comments all over the fishing forums, unchallenged, so I don't blame you. They seem to be a misinformation machine when it comes to marine parks, except it's more about plugging the coalition than attacking marine parks.

All this is just a smokescreen. Why don't you either defend your staement or retract it.

PS: you also make to not too subtle inference of pork barreling regarding the $15 million on the table for compensation. Do you have that much contempt for fishermen that they don't deserve compensation? What about the millions that goes to green groups to fund their lifestyle and amoung other things promote marine parks?  
[/quote]

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 12:37pm

Quote:
It doesn't look like it would upset recreational fishermen too much. My argument id internally consistent - unlike yours.

You are now saying the same thing as me. I was not arguing that being 3nm offshore would be a problem for fishermen.

There are other green zones within 100km of the shore.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 1:22pm

[] Quote:
It doesn't look like it would upset recreational fishermen too much. My argument is internally consistent - unlike yours.

You are now saying the same thing as me. I was not arguing that being 3nm offshore would be a problem for fishermen.

It would help if you didn't chop out the rest of the papragraph.

There are other green zones within 100km of the shore.

It's the extent and siting that is of most relevance. A sense of proportion is a quality you seem to lack.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 1:51pm

You seemed to think the 100km thing was important before. Anyway, at least we got that resolved.

Now, any news on the NSW coalition policy?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:13pm

]You seemed to think the 100km thing was important before. Anyway, at least we got that resolved.

Now, any news on the NSW coalition policy?

Now, do you intend to defend any of the drivel in your front page article?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:33pm

What is it that is bothering you now?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 6:20am

freediver wrote on Feb 12th, 2011 at 3:33pm:
What is it that is bothering you now?

What's this 'now' business in aid of? You haven't settled anything of substance. Your harping about whether any green zones are within 100 km of shore doesn't prove anything. Especially when your article implied that the GBRMP caused a lot of angst amoungst rec fishermen.
Let me ask you this - which do you think affected/ upset rec fishermen more - the GBRMP or the SE Australian Commonwealth marine parks, and why?

Also what about you ridiculous pork barelling allegation over the compensation money?    
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011 at 6:34am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 9:13am

Quote:
Your harping about whether any green zones are within 100 km of shore

You brought it up. I was just correcting you, and I only continued it for as long as it took for you to realise you were wrong.

Quote:
Especially when your article implied that the GBRMP caused a lot of angst amoungst rec fishermen.

It did.

Quote:
Let me ask you this - which do you think affected/ upset rec fishermen more - the GBRMP or the SE Australian Commonwealth marine parks, and why?

The GBRMPA, on the NIMBY principle. I don't think recreational fishermen tend to go as far opffshore around Tasmania.

Quote:
Also what about you ridiculous pork barelling allegation over the compensation money?   

I don't think pork barrelling is the correct term. It's more like vote buying, or divide and conquer.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 6:13am

[] Quote:
Your harping about whether any green zones are within 100 km of shore

You brought it up. I was just correcting you, and I only continued it for as long as it took for you to realise you were wrong.

For starters I wasn't 'wrong' at all as I just said it was something I heard. Maybe it was true at the time the quote was made. The real point is that the SE Commonwealth parks have little impact on rec fishing and appeared to be have designed with this purpose.

Quote:
Especially when your article implied that the GBRMP caused a lot of angst amoungst rec fishermen.

It did.

And SE marine parks didn't.

Quote:

The GBRMPA, on the NIMBY principle. I don't think recreational fishermen tend to go as far opffshore around Tasmania.

Rubbish, plenty of fishing trips in SE Australian waters take place in Commonwealth waters.

Quote:

I don't think pork barrelling is the correct term. It's more like vote buying, or divide and conquer.

And what about all the money that goes to green groups? Also the fact that commercial fishermen can sell their licence/ share to get out of the industry - they don't need to wait for a marine park buy out.  
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2011 at 8:58am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print