Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
33 Percent Said They Planned To Vote - GREEN. (Read 1528 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

33 Percent Said They Planned To Vote - GREEN.
Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:15am

VICTORIANS would prefer to have a drink with John Brumby than Ted Baillieu, believing the Premier is stronger, more capable and the more caring.

A poll of readers  has assessed the two leaders' personalities head to head. Mr Baillieu led in only one category, with a small majority of respondents believing he was more honest.

The poll also found that one in three plans to switch political loyalties at this month's state election.

A survey of 1533 members of The Age reader panel - a group that provides feedback to the paper - reveals that most of the switchers gravitated to the Greens, although the Coalition also benefited from the change in voting intentions.

With three weeks to go until the poll, Age readers are almost evenly divided between those who intend to vote for the incumbent Labor government, the Coalition and the advancing Greens, with just a small number intending to vote for none of the three.

A surprisingly large 33 per cent of respondents said they planned to vote for the Greens, slightly more than the other major parties. Said one reader: ''I'm in my 50s and I've voted Labor all my life, but this government is arrogant. Baillieu will be as bad, but I think Labor needs to be punished. I will put Labor last, Greens first, Liberals second.''

Another said: ''I'm over John Brumby. That government has been in too long and keeps stuffing things up. At least Baillieu cares about protecting heritage.''

But others were positive about the Brumby government's achievements, describing the party leader as ''capable and intelligent''. ''He has a proven record and deserves another chance to prove he can make Victoria a better place to live for all,'' one reader said.

Mr Brumby remains the preferred premier with 56 per cent support, and he was also strongly backed as having the strongest leadership (73 per cent) and the most vision (59 per cent).

To the question of what qualities readers liked about the two men, Mr Brumby was admired for his leadership style and personality, although nearly half disliked his policies and plans.

Mr Baillieu's integrity and personality were highly rated. Respondents disliked his ability to act and his leadership style.

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Re: 33 Percent Said They Planned To Vote - GREEN.
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:16am

33% plan to vote green? God help us.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:17am

Vote 1- Australian Greens.  The fair and sensible people.

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:20am

I wonder what the bar-b-qued wildlife thinks of John Brumby after last year's Victorian bushfires?

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Hlysnan

Riht, Fr[ch275]od[ch333]m,
Wærscipe

Burwood
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:27am

Wasn't it the greens who opposed the removal of fuel-like shrubs?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:03pm

Are these the same people who have $20billion of uncosted promises with no idea on where the money is coming from?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:13pm

Verge wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:03pm:
Are these the same people who have $20billion of uncosted promises with no idea on where the money is coming from?

LOL...that would be the Libs - and the figure is closer to $12billion...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:14pm

Hlysnan wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:27am:

Got any proof of that, Jae?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:21pm

<<33 Percent Said They Planned To Vote - GREEN.>>

33% of Victorians are smart.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

jame-e

Australian Politics

Darwin (currently)
Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:40pm

Hlysnan wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:27am:

I blame shrubs for everything.

It's this kind of propoganda that will cause the stars to fall on your head.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Equitist wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:13pm:

Thats not what I read today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/greens-told-to-cough-up-costings/story-e6frf7kx-1225948859612

VICTORIAN taxpayers would pay more than more than $20 billion in the next four years to cover the true cost of policies presented by the Victorian Greens, it has been revealed.
The Greens have made pre-election pledges on everything from poker machine cuts to "death taxes" and the re-introduction of tram conductors in the lead-up to the November 27 state poll, but have failed to say how much their promises will cost or how they will be paid for.

A Department of Treasury and Finance analysis offers an insight into how hard the public purse and State Budget will be hit if only 15 of the party's major policies were introduced.

The figure does not factor in any of the Greens' more contentious policies, such as building 15 new tram lines and nine route extensions, introducing heroin injecting rooms, free statewide dental care, closing coal-fired power stations and forcing every Victorian home to have a water-saving shower head.

But Upper House Greens member Greg Barber said it was "not their (the Treasury department's) job to do an analysis", especially since the Government was in caretaker mode.

"I'll be seeking a meeting with Treasury," he said.

The estimated costs of major Greens' policies for the next four years, prepared before the State Government entered caretaker mode, show:

ABOLISHING TAFE fees would cost more than $392.5 million;

A HOMES policy aimed at giving one million Victorian houses a "Green makeover" could cost as much $2.57 million;

A PLAN to cut poker machine numbers to 10,000 would cost $2.5 billion - not including the fee of buying pokies back from licensed venues;

BOOSTING child protection services would cost $200 million;

THE cost of axing school fees is estimated at $400 million;

RE-INTRODUCING conductors to Melbourne's tram fleet would cost about $295 million;

STAFFING all train stations would add about $104 million to the Budget; and,

ADDITIONAL concessions to international and post-graduate students would add costs of $140 million.

In past elections, the Greens have presented policies without having to properly account for costings.

But with the chance of a hung Parliament, a possible power-sharing deal between a major and minor party and the possibility of six Greens MPs being elected to the lower house for the first time, the cost of their policies has never been more important.

Treasurer John Lenders said it was time the Greens put their money where their mouths were.

"We call on the Greens to submit their policies for costing by the independent Victorian Treasury," he said.

"At the moment they are hiding the true cost of their election promises just like Tony Abbott did."

Other Greens policy estimates include up to $2.5 billion for new rail links to Melbourne Airport, Doncaster and Rowville, $11.6 billion to build 29,000 social housing units, $400 million for sub-acute medical services over four years and $111 million to upgrade library funding.

They also want to spend an estimated $600 million over four years on early intervention mental health programs, an estimated $400 million on primary care incentives and an extra $400 million on emergency department treatment.

The costing revelations threaten to overshadow the Greens' state election launch by federal leader Bob Brown in Melbourne this afternoon.

Mr Lenders said the Greens should also provide more detail on plans to "plunder the savings of deceased Victorians to pay for their pie-in-the-sky election policies" through death taxes.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Sorry, Verge, but this article is more about mischief making than it is about facts...

For starters, did you note that the single biggest ticket item (at over 50% of the headline $20 Billion) is buried down in the article...

Verge wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:59pm:
Equitist wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 6:13pm:

Thats not what I read today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/greens-told-to-cough-up-costings/story-e6frf7kx-1225948859612

VICTORIAN taxpayers would pay more than more than $20 billion in the next four years to cover the true cost of policies presented by the Victorian Greens, it has been revealed.
The Greens have made pre-election pledges on everything from poker machine cuts to "death taxes" and the re-introduction of tram conductors in the lead-up to the November 27 state poll, but have failed to say how much their promises will cost or how they will be paid for.

A Department of Treasury and Finance analysis offers an insight into how hard the public purse and State Budget will be hit if only 15 of the party's major policies were introduced.

The figure does not factor in any of the Greens' more contentious policies, such as building 15 new tram lines and nine route extensions, introducing heroin injecting rooms, free statewide dental care, closing coal-fired power stations and forcing every Victorian home to have a water-saving shower head.

But Upper House Greens member Greg Barber said it was "not their (the Treasury department's) job to do an analysis", especially since the Government was in caretaker mode.

"I'll be seeking a meeting with Treasury," he said.

The estimated costs of major Greens' policies for the next four years, prepared before the State Government entered caretaker mode, show:

ABOLISHING TAFE fees would cost more than $392.5 million;

A HOMES policy aimed at giving one million Victorian houses a "Green makeover" could cost as much $2.57 million;

A PLAN to cut poker machine numbers to 10,000 would cost $2.5 billion - not including the fee of buying pokies back from licensed venues;

BOOSTING child protection services would cost $200 million;

THE cost of axing school fees is estimated at $400 million;

RE-INTRODUCING conductors to Melbourne's tram fleet would cost about $295 million;

STAFFING all train stations would add about $104 million to the Budget; and,

ADDITIONAL concessions to international and post-graduate students would add costs of $140 million.

In past elections, the Greens have presented policies without having to properly account for costings.

But with the chance of a hung Parliament, a possible power-sharing deal between a major and minor party and the possibility of six Greens MPs being elected to the lower house for the first time, the cost of their policies has never been more important.

Treasurer John Lenders said it was time the Greens put their money where their mouths were.

"We call on the Greens to submit their policies for costing by the independent Victorian Treasury," he said.

"At the moment they are hiding the true cost of their election promises just like Tony Abbott did."

Other Greens policy estimates include up to $2.5 billion for new rail links to Melbourne Airport, Doncaster and Rowville, $11.6 billion to build 29,000 social housing units, $400 million for sub-acute medical services over four years and $111 million to upgrade library funding.

They also want to spend an estimated $600 million over four years on early intervention mental health programs, an estimated $400 million on primary care incentives and an extra $400 million on emergency department treatment.

The costing revelations threaten to overshadow the Greens' state election launch by federal leader Bob Brown in Melbourne this afternoon.

Mr Lenders said the Greens should also provide more detail on plans to "plunder the savings of deceased Victorians to pay for their pie-in-the-sky election policies" through death taxes.

IP Logged

tickfen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:33pm

95% of people know that statistics are only 25% accurate.

Yeah, I know I'm right, so I guess you just have to learn to live with that!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:35pm

On the subject of the purported big ticket cost of social housing: -

The article says: -

Quote:
$11.6 billion to build 29,000 social housing units
- but the official Greens policy does not contain the word "build"...

There are a number of different ways to improve access to affordable housing (one of which is building)...

http://vic.greens.org.au/policies/housing

Quote:
Housing is our shelter. It keeps us safe and protected from the elements – but for many, accessing adequate housing is a daily struggle, when it is a basic human right.

While Victorian property prices continue to soar, rental properties are harder to get and around 40% of renters are spending more than half their income on rent. This squeeze is forcing more and more people into inappropriate housing or tragically onto the streets.

We need a dramatic increase in affordable housing and we can’t wait for the market to provide it to us. We will bring our social housing stock up to at least 5% by 2014 – that means 29,000 more affordable properties.

For those already in public housing, we will not tolerate the current situation where they can wait years for basic repairs, or are left for weeks without hot water – and then threatened with legal action if they are a day late paying rent.

Housing is for everyone.

Meantime, I note that the investment by the incumbent Labs in 13,000 units over a decade amounted to a mere $2 billion - and that their investment in 2,350 units cost $510 million in 2007-08...

Has the cost of construction really doubled in just 2 years!?

See: -

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/your-voice/statement-of-government-intentions/vict...

Quote:
12.1 Integrated Housing Strategy

In 2009, the Government will release a Victorian Integrated Housing Strategy that brings together initiatives across the full spectrum of home ownership, rented accommodation and social housing. It will encompass several areas of housing policy, recognising that Victoria’s housing market is not just about where people live, but that it also impacts on the economy, local communities and the environment.

The aim is to give Victorians more scope to choose housing that meets their needs, is affordable, better located and promotes social inclusion. The result will be housing that is more sustainable – economically, socially and environmentally.

Victoria has led the nation in housing policy since 1999, implementing a range of policies and incentives to make housing more affordable, including:

* investing almost $2 billion to build or buy up to 13,000 new social housing units, including a $510 million investment in 2007– 08 for 2,350 units;

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:39pm

tickfen wrote on Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:33pm:
95% of people know that statistics are only 25% accurate.

All jokes aside, the Vic Labs are playing dirty - and it seems that they are stooping to gaining headlines by fudging the costings on the policies of their left-wing opponents...

I will be curious to see whether they will seek to grossly inflate the figures of their right-wing opponents...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print